Retirement in Taiwan

you should get APRC after 5 years of residency.

if your plan is to stay in Taiwan even if you might become alone before the 5 years, you can get a work based ARC as an English teacher until you get APRC if you have a degree, or can do naturalization after 3 years if you can renounce your original nationality.

1 Like

The OP is American and planning to retire, so most likely he won’t want to go this route, as renouncing his US citizenship will result in a loss of Social Security benefits.

2 Likes

From what you’ve said, I think the Taipei area (not necessarily Taipei City) would be a good fit, for the reasons that Icon, spaint, and olm mentioned. Being retired, you’ll have a lot of free time to travel around the island if you want to visit or spend some extended time in a more rural/natural part of the country. Taiwan is much smaller in area than the US, so you’ll probably be happy to discover that you can get to just about anywhere on the island in 4 hours or less by High Speed Rail or train. There are also local flights to the southern area and offshore islands.

1 Like

Remember the CCP is not only your geographical neighbour but spy as well!

Sounds from your list that Taipei would be the closest option…if you can handle being in a more remote location, the east coast is much more beautiful. If you want city, nigthtlife, things to do etc TPE for sure.

Taiwan needs to get on this.

1 Like

I was being scolded as I usually am by by neighbors on the garbage line. Save money! Don’t spend so much! Save for retirement! Do not keep so many pets!

I tell them that I will not go back to my country when I retire. That usually shuts them down as they can only shake their heads in amazement. Then the lady who sells veggies tells me she’s got a nuce little plot for her and her hubby when they retire, where they will plant veggies. So I should save to buy a house in the country where I can have as many cats as I wish…

Ayioo. It is going to be a long summer.

At least I do not have to worry about visas, having an APRC and looking forward to nationality. But if we could have special retirement visas my mom could be here. My auntie and her hubby now in Filipinas would be here. As ethnic Chinese and ec US residents they would enjoy the safety in Taiwan a lot. And contribute a lotta money and otherwise.

Our nieces and nephews would have more reason to visit us in Taiwan. Maybe take a term or two of Chinese. Contribute to the economy.

1 Like

Taiwan is pretty backwards on this, but it’s backwards on almost all things to do with immigration.
So many opportunities are missed.

Heck I have a Taiwanese passport but am somehow not Taiwanese , try explaining that to anybody!?!

Taiwan doesn’t care about these types of visas cos they only ever think about overseas Taiwanese Chinese and dual nationals.

There was some scheme a few years ago for Japanese but was a miserable failure.

If some develooers link it with property investment then it’ll probably get some support .

Yes Taiwan should consider something like this but it would lose money because older retired people have a lot of heavy medical expenses that Taiwan would be absorbing.

Thailand doesn’t provide the somewhat universal healthcare like Taiwan. So the Thailand government and taxpayer doesn’t need to absorb those costs. In fact, those retired people bring their own money and spend it on Healthcare in Thailand so it’s an additional benefit to Thailand.

They just need to make it so that retirees pay more, based on income bracket, or can benefit with full NHI after X number of quotas, to insure they will stay - unlike Overseas compatriots who live abroad, do not pay but come to Taiwan to enjoy benefits after paying just one quota.

Retiree visa beneficiaries could show they have insurance or made to purchase a special insurance. I am sure the local insurance companies could come up with a profitable plan.

1 Like

The retirees wouldn’t have the same access as locals, there’s no problem in that regard. Total non issue.

Don’t they get an APRC that gives them access?

No they wouldn’t because it would be a different scheme just for retirees who are non nationals.There is no retiree visa now.

That’s odd. I’ve heard complaints about how Thai hospitals are “sick to bloody death” of uninsured elderly foreigners costing them money. Maybe they didn’t know what they were talking about, or maybe the policy has changed. :idunno:

Anyone with an ARC or APRC is supposed to be subject to NHI, so it seems they would need to change the law or never give participants in the scheme ARC’s/APRC’s. If you’re going to spend the rest of your life in Taiwan but can’t even have an ARC, won’t you feel a bit insecure?

Do what we do: money up front. They get tax deductibles aplenty. But all social spending like NHI similar scheme they pay full coverage. Not that I know of retirees using our social security hospitals. Private is affordable and better quality.

Yep private insurance isnt that expensive and would get a better service.

I am talking about a 4th world country that likes to emulate the clasist/racist policies of some Western countries and leaving some of teh weakest behind. Not Taiwan.

In Taiwan you have a plethora of choices for all budgets, even teh people who cannot pay. I am glad my taxes pay so that elderly feeble folk receive a bientang. I am glad the old homeless person gets 5000 ntd a month from the Government.

In Taiwan, we can have large income people living right confortably, side by side yes with those who can’t work anymore, everyone with food in their bellies and the right to legally live where they are. Freer market that allows people to choose and pick and pay what they want and can.

EDIT:
This is the kind of retirement life we can look forward to. Active. Social. Hope you can see the video.

Also on this rock for the long haul. My biggest concern, even for a strong introvert, is isolation. Maybe us long termers / lifers / retirees should hook up once in a while to play bingo. Or tai chi.

1 Like

1 Like

No way! I’m going to be doing triathlons and cycling events and open-water swimming events. I’ll be hitting the gym, too. I might even give BJJ a go. Feel free pm if you want to join another long-termer unwilling to go gentle into that good night. Ride up Xiwan Road this Saturday followed by an open-water swim (did it last Saturday and we loved it so much, we’re going to go again).

Do not go gentle into that good night
Dylan Thomas, 1914 - 1953

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

2 Likes