A few things have changed in 13 years
ARC, APRC, Health Insurance…
Financial has been good for the last 13 years
Lots of work, students, customers, etc…
Who knows about tomorrow?

In those 200+ messages, I read about…

Fear of China taking over
Fear of economic crisis
Fear of losing gf, wife, … reason to live here?
Fear of no work and no revenue
Fear of lack of health insurance
Fear of language issues
Fear of isolation

It would be nice to call members of this forum such as…
MJB, merge, Omni, JDsmith, Blax, smileymiley, Omniloquacious,
Rotalsnart, divea, Enigma, Rotalsnart, twonavels, bismarck,
housecat, djlowballer, fh2000, thesublimenakedfairy
and see where they are and do now!

1 Like

Taiwan sounds like one of the worst possible place for retirement. The pension scheme is a fucking disaster, the weather sucks (too hot in summer and plenty of typhoons), the pollution is terrible. Why not choose somewhere like Spain?

LOL. Most of them AFAIK left the Island for their own countries of origin. A few are still around.

But yes, this is the kind of thread that is good to revisit a few years down the road.

1 Like

if you call divea a guy, she’ll slap your face off your head. not sure about sublimenakedfairy: i’ve always been confused about that one.

Corrected. Thanks. I… I… I am not ready to die. Not yet

I’d say half of them are still around.

Seriously, let’s look at this

http://www.i-domehouse.com/

pop up buidlings… mobile structures… mini homes…

internet is full of ideas

1 Like

Someone had a full camper for sale in Yahoo Kimo.

Still here. Most likely will be here for a long time as well. Got a place with piece of land large enough to hunker down and sustain myself, if the apocalypse happens. But, also have an exit strategy…

That seems like a good way to maintain some sanity, even if you never come close to:

2 Likes

Former Taiwan resident here (1996-2004). Glad to see that this thread is still up and running. While retirement for my wife and I is still several years away, you can place me in the camp of those who would prefer to live in Hualian or Taitung.

Well this looks like it is happening. We are planning on renting first to get more of an idea of where we like before putting down more solid roots.
My plan is to explore the island as much as possible for the first months starting in the North.
My main major concern is expanding my social circle and language problems - but hey-ho, I’m game.
As this thread was started 10years ago - have things changed that much?

This post might have some useful info for you:

On the financial side - what would be considered the average expat wage in Taiwan? I am just trying to gauge how much two people (no accommodation costs, no kids) would need.

There’s no average expat wage. What industry you talking about ?

1 Like

depend on your lifestyle

OK. General guides suggest one person can lead a reasonable but not extravagant life for NTD20,000 per month in Taipei. Also the average salary in Taipei is NTD43,000 a month. Do these look reasonable?

You could do it, but it would be a pretty no-frills existence.

With no accommodation costs, no kids, I’d say yes by my standard.

Not really. Where did you get these numbers?