Retirement Savings

Hi Everyone,

How are you all saving for retirement? I’m looking for some inspiration about what’s possible in Taiwan

I currently deposit money into my Australian Superannuation fund and buy shares on the ASX using my Australian trading account every now and then.

My super fund’s investment returns have been really good but once I put money into it, there’s no way to withdraw until I’m in my 60s. I’m just a bit tired of paying for the SWIFT transfer fees. Also exchange rate fluctuations are a little annoying.

Does Taiwan have any accounts that work like superfunds where I just deposit however much money I want periodically and investments are made for me.

Has anyone opened a share trading account with a bank here?

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yea. We aren’t gifted with Australian retirement options in other countries.

You could buy a house or have a financial planner do some investing for you.

TW has very limited retirement saving options, most people invest in the stock market, mutual funds or through life insurance schemes.
i would recommend that you stay with your Australian retirement fund, it is probably better than what you will find here.
to svae on transfers, just remit a bulk sum 3 or 4 times a year and deposit that.
trading here is possible, but not user friendly. eother you stick with your Australian account, or ipen one with inter active brokers. the TW brokers will slaughter you with fees.

5 Likes

This scheme is the closest we have to the Australian one.
https://livingintw.com/labor-pension-facts-for-jfrc-and-aprc-holders/

2 Likes

Really? I only pay 1 ntd per trade…

I decided on salary sacrificing the extra 6% (I didn’t know I could do this until I read your link) into the pension fund and I buy mutual finds/ETFs through my bank as I can do it online without registering as a foreign investor which I’d need to do to open a share trading account (seems too much of a headache)

Took me 10 minutes to do… also what etfs can you invest in without an investor number?

I’m also salary sacrificing

They limit you based on the questionnaire you fill out which kinda screwed me but basically any. I use Cathay bank.

Everything under 基金 can be bought online without talking to the ‘staff’ at the bank

But does it include Taiwan listed etfs?

Yep. You can set it to automatically reinvest dividends and automatically deduct your account periodically too

Oh that’s pretty good! I got a trading account but obviously it’s easier too trade etfs anyway.

I do exactly the same but also have an investor ID.

But here’s the thing… why do we need one? We already have an ARC number… can’t they just do something with the ARC number?

1 Like

I will have four government pensions linked to inflation ranging in qualification age from 55 to 67 — the CPP and a civil service one in Canada and the State pension and a civil service one in Europe. Some of these come with lump sum provisions too.

That combined with real estate and hopefully inheritance should keep me off the breadlines.

Some minor savings in Canada, France (private retirement account) and Taiwan that have been dormant for a while.

Taiwan pensions for foreigners working in their government suck…reciprocity my ass!!! Were just paid a tiny percentage when contract ended. (early 2000s)

I pay unto Taiwan pension, and will get some CPP. Not planning to retire early, lots of people at universities teach into their 70s. Maybe in 10 years I’ll consider the Canadian university system again

which broker? do you pay any other fees? I checked a few years ago, and got such a bad feeling from the bank that i skipped it all together.

Cathay sec