Returning home to the UK

I don’t. Italian and French do some pretty good ones I would eat though.

1 Like

It’s good. I had a bite.

1 Like

i was not hating on dou hua. hating dou hua would be like hating water. its fine, it just doesn’t taste much of anything. it loses to real desserts. by default.

mos burger > taiwan kfc
english kfc > mos buger

mos burger ain’t bad though. but a rice burger is not a real burger in my book. its rice and meat!

i think we are getting a clearer picture of the problem here. your tastes are simply way too mild. a scone is the most basic of desserts. nothing wrong with it, but its like saying that the rich tea is the best biscuit. madness, simply madness.

pineapple cakes

desserts, chocolate, ice cream ect are supposed to be sweet. thats the whole point.

you simply have no taste. i’ve been there the last two times i’ve been home. its very good. and italian pizzas usually only uses a handful of toppings, it ain’t pizza hut.

i like the taro and sweet potato balls. again, its mild so its not a million times better than anything. its not bad, thats about it. the dou hua has no flavour. and the rest of it is simply ICE. does frozen water count as dessert? are you even trying man?

Looove whipped cream. There is something off with whipped cream in Taiwan though. Not sure what it is. I always assumed they are probably non-dairy cream.

1 Like

Where to exchange NTD’s in London without getting majorly ripped off ?

1 Like

With current exchange rates? I remember when it was 67 to the pound.

It depends what you call a pastry or a cake.
I often eat traditional chinese style pastries , all kinds of baozi and bing.
I had a sesame flaky baozi two days ago and it was seriously amazing. Tommy you would have loved it, fresh and hot out of the oven.
After many years I’ve come to appreciate chua bing (frozen ice desserts) as being very healthy unprocessed food, fresh fruit and bean flavours with light cals and lots of water, perfect for a very hot climate. I also like ginger dou hua in the winter . Also a BIG fan of sesame tang yuan in rice wine. That is just a perfect dessert for winter and I know a few good ones that are kind of secret little spots in Taipei area. Pineapple cakes…the fresh ones from sunny hills, they are the bomb!! And I even dig those traditional meat pastry cakes (closest equivalent would be mince pies…also not mentioned here?!?).

I’m not a big fan of the traditional black sugar cake but again, when it’s fresh, it aint half bad.
But my mother makes the best cakes and puddings and always will…awwwww.

I think not many posters here know British dessert very well…rhubarb tart and custard being two big misses not mentioned :). Custard is in no way better than Douhua, in fact it’s almost the same thing in some ways. Some people look down at custard but you have to appreciate each dessert for what it is.

AS some of you may have garnered by now, I’m a dessert guy.

1 Like

Just keep them for when you quit your job and come back :slight_smile:

I honestly thought about that. But it’s quite a lot of money ( got my 2 months deposit back and HES money before I left) so it’s almost NT100k, and cant afford to keep it :frowning:

What desserts do you make at home?

What’s HES?

Just got back to the UK myself. Definitely have insufficient clothing

Ill trade you citizenship, been watching a bunch of shows like Escape to the Country, UK has really gorgeous towns

1 Like

Yeah, plenty of snobs to fill them though, in the south at least!

Why is that? Would I find townspeople to be racist against Asians? Or would it be ok to live there. Yorkshire looks really nice but thats in the far north?

Nah I was joking for the most part - by snob i generally mean materialistic, as the nice towns generally have the richest people.

I’d very much doubt you’d experience direct racism in any part of the UK. Most racism experienced is stuff like pay inequality these days.

Yorkshire is great, two hours by train from London roughly. They have a fun regional dialect, “Now then” means hello by the way

2 Likes

That area has some amazing towns, and great prices too. Looks around 250k-300k pounds can buy a nice 3 bedroom house. That buys nothing in Taipei.

I thought the rich people live in London? and people moved out to save money or get a bigger space for their money

1 Like

Really? How much to buy a flat in Taipei? Say an elevator building apartment in Wenshan District for example? Would have thought it would be cheaper as it’s less to rent out there.

The super rich live in London, what I consider rich in the earlier description is the “middle-class” i guess. I personally have no hope of buying anywhere.

Taiwan esp Taipei is one of the most expensive per sq meter property markets in the world. It lags slightly behind Hong Kong. Yes the rent is very cheap compared to owning a house.

For example… in Wenshan a newer building (less than 10 yrs) lets say 35 ping 2 bedroom 1 bath might cost 500,000 USD to 600,000 USD. 35ping in reality may only have an interior space of like 650-800sqft. In Taiwan they like to play with the interior space size and include things like car park and balcony and window ledge as part of it as well as common space.

Ah I get ya!

In the UK it’s cheaper to buy a house as the monthly payments on a mortgage will be way less than rent payments, although you need to save a pretty high deposit.

Socially, buying a house is one of the most important things to do in some peoples eyes. I’m always getting badgered to save and buy somewhere but if I don’t like the area i’m in really then it’s pointless.

Same in Taiwan, in fact its pretty much a requirement of marriage for the guy to own an house and possibly a car. Unfortunately the wages won’t ever allow most white collar workers from owning a house without substantial help from parents. Down payment is 20% minimum here, theres no such thing as a fixed interest rate on a 20-30 year mortgage.