Returning home

Do me a favor for a quick view into what is going on in Winnipeg- just go onto Google and search Winnipeg and stabbing. I just did it and came up with 10 major incidents in a short period of time. The one at the Aquarius Bath house is really vicious.

From 2007 to 2011, Winnipeg was the ā€œmurder capitalā€ of Canada, with the highest per-capita rate of homicides; it fell to second place in 2012, behind Thunder Bay

from wiki. Winnipeg sounds like Chicago.
And now Thunder Bay. Went there in late-1970s on a camping trip across Canada. Lovely memories.

I am not sure that anywhere can be as bad as Compton ā€¦ The downtown here is weird and mostly commercial/ storefronts, I wouldnā€™t be down there at night, but that area is not really the problem, it is the North End and the West End of the city, where the problem is centralized, but it has been spreading out to other areas. This is largely due to the explosion of Meth in the city over the last few years, and especially the last year.

The violent crime is mostly meth fuelled robberies ( even bank robberies!), home invasions, car jackings, stabbings and murder. It used to be crack and coke, but now everything is meth related. And meth heads have no discretion as to who their victims are - everyone and everything is fair game.

And where in the past everything was for the most part knife and machete based, guns have gone waaay up lately.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-firearm-seizures-high-2017-1.4475282

Combine the Meth with the Aboriginal street gangs ( who are Uber-violent), and a fair smattering of motorcycle gangs ( who keep their stuff quiet and often in- house) and there you have the violence in Winnipeg.

Will this affect the average person at the mall in the suburbs? Probably not. But these crimes are spreading out primarily because the people who need money know where the money is to be found ā€¦

Maybe I am overly cautious, but that is my take on it. We are longer just a hockey loving country bumpkin town, and our population will soon pass 1 million. It is definitely not the city of my childhood, and even though we both have family here, the question of whether to have my boy be a teenager in this place weighs heavily on both myself and my wife.

Once again, just my 2 cents

1 Like

Reading through this thread, it sounds like I absolutely hate Winnipeg. That is not the case.

My family is here, my wifeā€™s family is here, and while my dad passed a few years ago ( which I was able to be here for), my mom is still in good health and both of my wifeā€™s parents are alive and well.

And the province of Manitoba is beautiful. Cold winters, vicious mosquitoes, for sure, but also amazing lakes, great fishing ( if that is your thing) , and a diverse ecosystem ( it is not all prairies).

Winnipeg has a good music and arts community, with a great symphony and even several spin off chamber orchestras. The folk scene is well known, with the Winnipeg Folk Festival every year, and a growing local music scene of all varieties. The restaurants are also pretty good, if not super varied. And if you like hockey, Winnipeg is a great place ( I like it, but I am not a serious fan).

Would I rather live somewhere else? Asia? You bet, but right now that just isnā€™t possible. But it might be in 6 years when I can take my early pension ( at a penalty) . We will see.

2 Likes

Screenshot_20190613-133726_Chrome

More like this:

Not the best quality, but the best I could find