Returning to Taiwan to teach

I taught ESL in Taiwan for a few years before doing a PGCE and teaching in the UK. Recently however the department at the school I was in was downsized and I have been out of a job ever since. At first I did not worry about it too much because I teach Design & Technology, which is a shortage subject and I was sure I would find a new placement before the summer holiday. That didn’t happen unfortunately. The weeks have slipped by and all the schools have now finished hiring for the September start, leaving me in a tight spot. Teacher recruitment agencies here have no supply work left and they pretty much agree that employment will remain dire throughout the first term, possibly until Easter.

To make ends meet I have been considering returning to Taiwan and teaching English again for 3 to 6 months. My wife is Taiwanese so we could stay with her family. From what I gather on these boards though, the job market for English teachers in Taiwan is equally dire. Perhaps I should use the downtime to do a CELTA in London, but then again from what I recall employers in Taiwan rarely care for this qualification. I am now 33, which probably puts me past my sell by date for ESL as well.

Anyway, I welcome your advice on whether or not to come to Taiwan and teach, or if I should just tough it out in the UK, picking apples in Cornwall or something like that, instead.

I can’t see you having any problems getting a job over here with.

You’ve sold me on the picking apples idea though.

I don’t see how 33 is past the used by date. Sure, it won’t be possible to get a job where the buxiban wants someone under 30 but there are lots of alternatives. I started teaching in Taiwan a week before I turned 30.

Are you kidding? I started teaching in Taiwan at 33! Well actually 32, I just said 33 to make you feel better.

I came here when I was 43. (Turn 47 today.) I started in cram schools for elementary age students before I realized myself that I’m too old to play games. (Speaking only for myself.) I subsequently got a job in a private jr/sr high school who actually respected and appreciated more “mature” teachers. Now I do corporate training where age and business experience has also proven to be an asset.

Just look for an appropriate match.

I came here when I was 43. (Turn 47 today.) I started in cram schools for elementary age students before I realized myself that I’m too old to play games. (Speaking only for myself.) I subsequently got a job in a private jr/sr high school who actually respected and appreciated more “mature” teachers. Now I do corporate training where age and business experience has also proven to be an asset.

Just look for an appropriate match.[/quote]
Happy birthday. yOU are not less of a man when u go past 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 or 70 :slight_smile:

just the girls wont like u as much