Reviewing the situation:what positive out of BUSH's terms

ermmm,okay :s

[quote=“redandy”]I thought his record on trade issues was pretty good, though [color=red]with a couple notable exceptions[/color].

He at least tried something with education. [color=red]We don’t really know what the long term result will be[/color]. I’m still hopeful, though.

Exposure of several scandals – Enron, Worldcom, etc. Probably [color=red]not attributable to Bush[/color] really, but they happened under his watch.

The economy seems to have recovered from post 9-11 and Enron recession, [color=red]most likely partially[/color] (that phrasing got a chuckle outta me :laughing: :laughing: attributable to Bush tax cuts.

I thought he took the best of a number of difficult options on illegal immigration. [color=red]Unfortunately he seems to have lost that battle[/color], at least so far.

I also thought he took the right stance on Dubai Ports, [color=red]though again he was defeated[/color]. We did however see that selective paranoia isn’t just a Republican trait.

Post 9-11 I thought Bush initially did an excellent job in rallying the country. Furthermore [color=red]he took appropriate action in Afghanistan.[/color]

Iraq – [color=red]obviously things haven’t worked out[/color] that well so far, which is well documented on other threads. However, there’s still some appreciable chance that things could end up better than what they were with Saddam, and the next generation will have an example to look back on.

Appointment of 2 Supreme court justices. Split recored. Roberts appears to have been an excellent choice. [color=red]The Miers thing was a debacle[/color], but turned out so-so with the appointment of Alito.

Whatever you think of Bush, you have to admit that he got hit early on with probably the toughest circumstances any president has faced since at least FDR.[/quote]

that was a sarcastic post,right?
you couldn’t have exposed his uselessness better :bravo:

you have that “mission accomplished” picture engraved deep in your mind,so much so that it has covered the “facts” :astonished:

[quote=“redandy”]

Whatever you think of Bush, you have to admit that he got hit early on with probably the toughest circumstances any president has faced since at least FDR.[/quote]

it’s not what hit,it’s the way it was handled.
he could have been a hero, a semi-god,had he done the right thing

Actually, I thought I was giving the OP what he asked for. He wanted to know what had been accomplished under Bush and I gave a brief rundown, trying to be positive but not overwhelmingly so. Not surprisingly, with many of the issues, there were either partial successes, as I noted and you highlighted, or we’re still waiting to see what the effects will be.

And yes, I thought post 9-11, at least in the immediate aftermath, Bush did do a good job. He didn’t waffle and took immediate action. Of course Bush wasn’t the only one rallying the country, but he did inspire confidence at the time, which was exactly what the country needed.

Look, I’m not a Bush supporter, and I voted against him in '04. I’m not delusional about Iraq or Afghanistan, but nor am I going to pretend like Bush is the root of everything that’s gone wrong in the past 6 years. To the extent that he got some things right, I’m happy to give him at least partial credit.

My dream is after Bush leaves office he’ll comes to terms with the unimaginable death and human suffering he started, and ask his old family friend Osama bin Laden to join him in a jail cell for the remainder of their natural lives.

Insisting that the Palestinian elections be held, even though there was strong evidence that Hamas would do well (nobody expected them to actually win).

The Israelis were trying to give Abbas cover to cancel them by offering to stop voting in Jerusalem, giving him a pretext.

Bush insisted that they go ahead. Even though the results were bad, it would have been far worse to allow them to be cancelled, giving Islamists a chance to criticize the US for hypocrisy, as happened with the Algerian elections.