Rhesus Negative Blood

Does anyone know if there are Rh negative blood reserves in Taipei hospitals? I’m 2 months pregnant and have ‘A’ negative blood type. Just worrying if the Taiwanese medical care is prepared in case of any labor emergency, as I plan to have a Cesarean section.
Would be grateful for any information on this matter!

M.

[quote=“mafanni”]Does anyone know if there are Rh negative blood reserves in Taipei hospitals? I’m 2 months pregnant and have ‘A’ negative blood type. Just worrying if the Taiwanese medical care is prepared in case of any labor emergency, as I plan to have a Cesarean section.
Would be grateful for any information on this matter!

M.[/quote]
I’d say the person to ask would be the person who’ll be pumping in the blood when you’re on the table, no?
Blood reserves of all types are often very low here, though. However, I cannot imagine a hospital carrying out an elective procedure without sufficient blood reserves, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

Well I found this after a quick serach but I think the best thing to do would be to speak to your ob/gyn at the hospital you are having your baby at.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003346778

Other rare blood types that present challenges to the blood bank include Rhesus negative blood, which is found in just 0.03 percent of Taiwan’s population.

“Rhesus negative blood is a lot less common in Taiwan than it is in other countries,” Yang said.

He advised people with Rhesus negative blood to volunteer their contact information to hospitals in case a donor must be located quickly for an emergency transfusion.

Hi,

I’m RHneg, and when I had both my babies (at Wanfang Hospital), the doctor made a special note to prepare what I needed, closer to the birth. If my memory serves me correctly, my doctor told me they work with Renai hospital to make sure they have the blood needed, but reassured me the risk of needing a transfusion was extremely low. What they did have to get in for me was the shot RHneg mothers have after the first birth/miscarriage/aborted pregnancy, or if there are signs of bleeding. (pickawit will give the the proper terms for all this, I am sure :laughing: ) Hospitals generally don’t carry this shot and they need to order it in, and my doctor asked me to remind him. Hospitals in the west used to give a shot at so many months into pregnancy as routine but no longer do it, and my doctor didn’t do it either, but recommended the one after giving birth.

Hope that helps and doesn’t confuse you more!

(I am registered as a blood donor here and have been called to donate once where they needed RH neg blood.)

I think you might be thinking of where the mother is Rh- and the father is Rh+, there’s a chance the baby will be Rh+. You being Rh- and the baby Rh+ could possibly cause problems if there are complications.

I’m boring O+ and they don’t want that because I have mad cow disease.

Rhlg called Rhogam is usually given at 26 weeks and after the birth. The baby’s blood type is checked at birth, using blood obtained from the umbilical cord or a heel prick. If the baby turns out to be Rh-negative as well, the dose of RhIG usually given at delivery is not necessary.

I don’t know how safe it is to do while pregnant, but is there the possiblilty of donating a bit of your own blood as a back up for the C section. I have heard of people with rare blood types doing this in preparation for an op, but not while pregnant… Maybe only a half unit a few times over the next few months, so not too much is taken out and you can recoup it quickly…

I agree though that if they are planning the op, that would be part of the planning, making sure they have the right blood on store… Maybe…

Thank you for all your replies. I didn’t mean the serologic incompatibility though as I’m rather not afraid of it - it will be my first child. Yeah, I should make inquiries at my hospital. However, when I told my gynecologist that I was Rh negative, she said they would do all the necessary medical examination in week 12, including blood examination. Maybe indeed they are prepared for any kind of emergency and I’m just the panicky type :neutral:

Thanks for your exhaustive information asiababy, the next thing I’ll do is to register myself as a blood donor, too.

If it’s your first baby, why are you “planning” to have a caesarian? I thought that was more of an emergency backup arrangement.