Rice pudding

Hi,

Does anybody know where I can get some rice pudding? preferably in Taipei.

And why is Tesco (Sanmin Lu branch) always, always sold out of their ‘no frills’ baked beans? Who’s the b’tard who keeps buying them all?

I’d appriaciate any leads regardinmg these enquiries.

Matt

Make your own rice pudding. It’s the easiest thing in the world. Maybe next time I’ll make a pot before Happy Hour and give you some for free. With a bit of cinnamon and sugar, it’s fantastic.

Save your money and make your own. I’ve got a great recipe for rice pudding from some Susan Powter book I read during my early-90s empowerment phase.

I just went there last night, and I found that they were out of the baked beans again. I’m sure it’s probably just a few people who are stocking up on them, but it wipes out the entire supply.

I saw that the price last night was $29/can. Was it just my imagination, or were they originally $19/can? Either way, Tesco could probably charge $40-50/can and they’d still be sold out at this rate.

freerecipe.org/Dessert/Puddi … e_Pudding/

Yep! They were indeed ONLY 19NT a can (still, almost 40p though).

Rice pudding is best baked in a dish in the oven but can also be made on the stove as long as you keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t boil over. An automatic rice cooker could also do a nice job although you wouldn’t get the lovely skin that you get on oven-baked pudding.
Ordinary Taiwanese short-grain rice should do fine. Milk, dark sugar, a bit of nutmeg, maybe some cinnamon. Raisins if you like them. Cook for a good while - at least half an hour.

Nooooo, no raisins. They get all plump, gooey and icky. They add nothing to an otherwise easy to make and wonderful dish. They were dried out for a reason. keep 'em that way.

Chou

I see there are a lot of poeple who are comfortable making thier own rice puddings. Does that mean there’s absolutely nowhere in Taiwan to buy the canned version?

I love raisins in my rice pud, even though they remind me of rotting rabbit-eyes when I squish them against the roof of my mouth.

But I draw a wide distinction between real rice pud and Ambrosia rice pud in a can. I love 'em both, but they’re so different you can hardly compare. I seem to recall seeing Ambrosia rice pud (or maybe it was Tesco own brand) in the Taoyuan Tesco last year sometime. I didn’t buy any though, so it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.

I don’t recall ever eating rotting rabbit eyes so cannot comment specifically. But I will say that soggy and plump is the best way to eat raisins in my opinion.
But then I’m a guy who likes eating cold buttered toast so perhaps my opinion counts for little.

[quote=“sandman”]But I draw a wide distinction between real rice pud and Ambrosia rice pud in a can. I love 'em both, but they’re so different you can hardly compare. I seem to recall seeing Ambrosia rice pud (or maybe it was Tesco own brand) in the Taoyuan Tesco last year sometime. I didn’t buy any though, so it could just be my mind playing tricks on me.[/quote]You’re right; tinned and homemade rice pudding are both delicious, but quite different things.

Here’s what I did today.

Into a small crock pot I put 4 tablespoons washed long-grain (Thai) rice. To this I added a few small pieces of cinnamon bark, a dash of vanilla essence, a half teapsoon of salt, a teaspoon brown sugar, a tablespoon of sugar and 2 cups milk.

I stirred it together, and put the crop pot (lid on) into a medium oven for 1 1/2 hours. I stirred the mixture during the first hour. For the last 30 minutes I took off the lid and let it coagulate and brown on top.

I then made a sachet of Tesco’s custard. I poured the custard over the rice pudding in two bowls.

The wife and I have just enjoyed a bowl each. Fantastic it was.

[quote=“Alleycat”]Into a small crock pot I put 4 tablespoons washed long-grain (Thai) rice.[/quote]Normally rice pudding recipes require short-grain rice, for the stickiness, but if long grain did the trick for you then great.