Rice Wine Chicken Soup - breastfeeding?!?

hie all.

New to father hood, new to Taiwan and its culture (A girl, thanks :slight_smile:.

Well anyway a week has passed since the birth and all is going fantastic. The baby must have read the instruction manual before she came out.

However now all the traditional baby/mother stuff has come about (no shower for mum, no eating bananas, rock in babies bath water, etc).

But now it seems that rice wine chicken soup is on the menu 2-3 times day for breastfeeding mum. It’s pretty strong stuff. Not all the wine gets cooked off.

Well as far as i’ve read it’s not really a good idea to drink and breastfeed. Dehydrates mum so there is less milk and it seeps into the milk from mum.

So my question is does anyone else have experience with this? What do they think? how did you deal with it.

Wife is apparently ‘too weak’ to eat downstairs her mum in law says. Im thinking we can just play along and i’ll drink the soup when no one is looking. Or do half/half with soup/hot water.

Well all this Taiwan stuff is a bit new. Mother in law is pretty into it…wife and I already forked out $3000 for 1 month supply of rice wine and another $7000 for chicken and all other wife’s special foods.

what to do?

Found this pamphlet from Australian Breastfeeding Association on drinking and breastfeeding. Interesting read:
http://www.lrc.asn.au/ABA_Alchohol_BF.pdf

Hi Askr, and congratulations! :bravo:

I haven’t heard about the rock in the bath water. The answer is to smile and nod and agree to everything A-girl’s mum insists on, except feeding the baby honey water, which I’m told is a big no-no. Then, when she’s gone, do it your way.

Thanks man.

Yes it gets a bit tricky as we are staying in her parents house til we go back to Australia (13 people in the house). And her mum is keeping hawk eyes on us.

Im sure we will be able to get away with something though. Just wondered if other had been in the same situation.

The rock in the bath water story goes something like the following. When you give your newborn a bath your mother-in-law goes to the garden and gets a smooth, potato sized rock. You wash it and put it in the bath with baby. Apparently it stops the baby crying. Well the baby didn’t cry but then she doesn’t do too much of that anyway. Once the bath is finished you take the rock and put it in the room and you don’t use it again - it has done its magic.

hey is the quote function broken? It’s not displaying right:

It is perfectly OK to give a newborn honey water, as long as you don’t mind the chance of the kid getting botulism. The booze I don’t know though, although I was pretty glad my wife wan’t able to breastfeed for more than a few weeks, becuase she got that stuff on a daily basis. I actually developed a taste for the kidneys in rice wine, which she refused to eat. That stuff was GOOOOD!

Congrats!! And rock in bath water should be a non issue…it’s not harming the kid. Allow me to explain the honey.

Breast fed babies poop once or twice a week. What happens is they drink the milk and pee a lot but there’s not enough solid to poop out as compared to formula milk. It’s perfectly okay. The side effect is, that the baby (coz milk is gassy) gets bloated, and gassy and is in extreme discomfort - for which you make the baby burp etc. sometimes you need doc’s intervention if the baby hasn’t pooped for nearly a week. Now, honey makes you go, so people think feeding an infant honey, will not let the child be constipated - thing is she is not. She just does not have much solid intake.

And honey cause Botulism. Bad for the gums, and it’s better to introduce other normal foods to a bay before introducing sweet ones.

No, I just missed the virgule.

ACK! They put KIDNEYS in rice wine?! I’m not buying any more of the stuff. Eww.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

ACK! They put KIDNEYS in rice wine?! I’m not buying any more of the stuff. Eww.[/quote]
I know you’re joking, but yeah, they do a kidney/sesame oil/ginger/rice wine thing and I just LOVE it!

For both of our kids, I helped out cooking the “yuezi can” for my wife when my mother-in-law was doing yoga or other old-retired-lady-stuff. The best part was when she would send me shopping for the various ingredients. I used to get some interesting looks at the traditional market before - but I got a lot more when I came away with pig kidneys, beef heart, chicken testicles, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
Then my mother-in-law would look at the pig scrotum or cow gall blander and say, “Oh, you didn’t pick a very good one, did you?” I would always reply, “There are GOOD ones?”