Rice Wine

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“Namahottie”]I stayed on rice wine up to the day I left Taiwan…No joke. Being cheap I stuck with Tunnel 88 from 7-11 mixed with that Ocean spray red juice.
Two glasses(6oz) after work would have me on my butt in an hour. :blush: :laughing:[/quote]

Tunnel 88, but that’s Kaoliang, made from one of the ugliest and foulest tasting grains on the planet. The thing that stops me from drinking that, aside from the head the next day that feels like you were squashed by a bus, is the taste of it in each and every belch, swallow and frightful regurgitation the following day.

Nama, I have a profound new respect for you . . . I think. :notworthy:

HG[/quote]

Yes kaoliang is something I could never get down, not even a shot. But if you acquire a taste of it, its pretty hard to get tho outside of TAiwan and Kinmen where they make the stuff. I understand its only made in Kinmen , is that true?

My uncle was a tank commander in Kinmen and he said that you can run a tank on the stuff.

You mean is Jinmen the only place they make Kaoliang? No, Definitely not. It’s made from sorghum, which is one of those loess based north China grains. I’m surprised it grows in Kinmen. Does it? There’s loads of mainland based kaoliangs, and apparently the Koreans slurp it too.

It’s as ugly as rape (the grain).

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]You mean is Jinmen the only place they make Kaoliang? No, Definitely not. It’s made from sorghum, which is one of those loess based north China grains.[/quote]I actually prefer the northern Chinese version. I hate the local stuff. I once got left with a bottle after a party and tried various ways of making it palatable, including mixing it with mango juice, which just made the juice taste horrible. The solution I eventually came up with was to mix it with hot water and a bit of honey. Even then it wasn’t very nice.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“Namahottie”]I stayed on rice wine up to the day I left Taiwan…No joke. Being cheap I stuck with Tunnel 88 from 7-11 mixed with that Ocean spray red juice.
Two glasses(6oz) after work would have me on my butt in an hour. :blush: :laughing:[/quote]

Tunnel 88, but that’s Kaoliang, made from one of the ugliest and foulest tasting grains on the planet. The thing that stops me from drinking that, aside from the head the next day that feels like you were squashed by a bus, is the taste of it in each and every belch, swallow and frightful regurgitation the following day.

Nama, I have a profound new respect for you . . . I think. :notworthy:

HG[/quote]

:laughing: Thanks but I didn’t hence why I left. That love for liquor was a slow road to self-disrespect. Don’t need any more of what my cousins are good at giving me for free. :laughing:

In English, WINE is an alcoholic drink fermented by yeast, while HARD LIQUOR is distilled from wine to get a higher alcohol content.
Rice wine (e.g. jap. Sake) cannot have more than 15 - 20% alcohol (the yeast dies then), hard liquor (e.g. jap. Shochu, kor. Soju, chin. Kaoliang) usually has 40% or higher.
Of course it doesn’t help that Chinese knows no such distinction and calls everything “jiu” (commonly translated as “wine”) - even beer!