Rice 🍚

Eh ?
It’s a completely different breed.

I must try leaving potatoes out and see if they turn into Taros a few days later. El Magico!

They might even turn into MickeyDs French fries all by themselves.

5 Likes

Translation: Taiwanese like flavorless rice. Pretty bizarre, but to each his own.

2 Likes

Is wheat bread supposed to be flavorful?

Yes! Try asking a French person this question. He will probably burst into tears and then throttle you, for your own good.

3 Likes

I don’t understand how that would work. It seems like I’d just end up with dry, hard Taiwanese rice…and maybe stomach issues.

1 Like

Like you’re eating a bullet. That’s what Taiwanese think of Indian, Mexican, etc. rice.

They do know that Indian etc. rice needs to be cooked, right? :nerd_face:

1 Like

That’s because they don’t know how to cook it properly.

5 Likes

Honestly I think part of the problem here is indifferent cooking, inadequate washing, plus poor quality water. I’ve seen Japanese operated shops prepare wonderful Taiwan rice simply because they are careful!

Agree however that some of the Indian basmatis are otherworldly good.

Guy

6 Likes

Nothing like the smell of steaming basmati… :relaxed:

2 Likes

It’s because of the hard texture.

There is no hard texture if it’s cooked properly.

2 Likes

Buddy. You’re in the u.s. surely you’ve had Mexican rice that wasn’t hard?

1 Like

There are many opinions on rice here. It warrants it’s own thread.

Keep discussion on topic in the other thread

2 Likes

It all really depends on what kind of food you eat with rice and how do you cook the rice, of course.

While I get why one would cook rice aside (as in round white rice) to go along their saucy and tasty 下飯 food, I also think that if your food is not so tasteful, then you’d rather want to eat it with aromatic long rice.
If your “main food” is dry, then you wouldn’t want to eat rice with it anyway.

Now, when you cook rice in the same pot as you cook other things (see soupy rices, risotto, paella…) I have yet to find a reason to use anything but round starch-full rice, because the starch is essential in this case and the round rice absorbs and compliments all the tastes around.

Tbh, here in Taiwan many times I’ve had “soupy rice” it ends up being white rice that has been cooked aside and later added into the soup, which is always a disappointment.

2 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: From rice

4 Likes

Can you do mochis with long aromatic rice?

Someone gets it.

1 Like

We got given some Taiwan black rice recently. It was branded 卓岳. I was looking forward to a change, just any change from the ubiquitous super soft shortgrain. I followed the instructions on the pack in the Taitung, but it turned out horribly bitter. Maybe there is some technique I was missing or something.