Rice 🍚

There are definitely American farmers using modern irrigation methods for rice, although it’s not popular because of the capital outlay. SRI/no-till methods lend themselves nicely to drip irrigation because of the wide plant spacing. 250 or 300mm drip emitter spacing would be ideal. There’s nothing wrong with growing rice in areas that naturally flood - it’s a sensible use of an otherwise-useless resource - but attempting to flood fields from river diversion etc is just madness.

1 Like

Great idea! But I usually let it sit for a really short period of time with the cover opened instead.

2 Likes

Welcome to our active rice discussion

For a rather unpromising digression, it’s turned out to be quite interesting!

1 Like

The long grain varieties and short grain varieties are as different as German bread and French bread—a completely different experience.

EDIT: Plus what hansioux said!

Guy

Do people in Taiwan ever cook rice with corn, or chopped sweet potato or cassava mixed in?

Here in Indonesia, this is a holdover from times of scarcity but it is still quite popular.

Also red rice

Black glutinous rice pudding

9 Likes

I’ve only seen sweet potato in congee.

In photo 2, with the red rice/tempeh/egg, what green vegie is that on the left?

It’s honestly not a concern. Unless I’ve mixed you up with another poster, which is possible, the only things I’ve seen you posting are nutty opinions about Taiwan that few agree with. So the posts here are right on brand. :man_shrugging:

There’s actually some good stuff mixed in with the nuttiness. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The dark green one one the left is daun singkong, cassava leaf.

3 Likes

I often see sweet potato mixed with the rice in the vegetarian places my wife frequents.

3 Likes

Well, no, not necessarily, as water rights in California are old school and pretty f’d - if it works, makes a good profit, and they can pump water for free, many are going to keep doing it even if it’s not a good idea.

Taiwan peanuts inside rice

2 Likes

I think a lot of the food vendors have cut corners and used cheaper ingredients and methods over the years to keep prices low.

1 Like

I have been looking everywhere for something that in some ways resembles Basmati rice.

Yes my in laws do this with sweet potato.

4 Likes

Trinity Indian groceries has a couple locations around Taipei. It’s where I always go for basmati.

I think I’ve also got basmati via iHerb.

2 Likes

Good place for spices too, although the Daan location is a bit weird (the xth floor of an apartment building or something and quite hard to find). I’d made a mental note to check for basmati rice next time on the basis of this thread.

2 Likes

Ha, is that one still around? Such a weird thing to buzz into a shop like you’re visiting friends. In recent years, I’ve only gone to the one a bit north of Taipei City Hall Station.

1 Like