Richart - The first almost/kinda/marginally/minuscularly foreigner friendly bank

This is normal/common for visa/mastercard debit transactions. All my Australian bank accounts/cards work the same way.
The bank statement will usually show the date the transaction was settled rather than the date the transaction was made

1 Like

My German bank visa has no such issue. Transaction is immediately displayed as pending at the right time and is moved to transactions once it has cleared. With the correct date and time.

Same with other online bank accounts. e.g Wise and their visa, mastercard cards

They should use transaction ‘initiation date’ as transaction date or what ever they get from mastercard.

At least it should be one or two days after, as opposed to the 12.5 days in your case here. That seems weird to me too, especially as it’s clearly written as “transaction date”.

1 Like

Just received a phone call saying ‘we received tour email…’ basically they ignored my email and their terms and told me to go to the branch.

I told her that according to YOUR terms I do not need to go to the branch and that she is to receipt the funds by close of business. Followed up by this email

2 Likes

Even Mega Bank (which isn’t touting itself as a new, super-modern online bank, as far as I’m aware) has never required me to go into a branch to receive an international transfer. They called me the first time to ask the reason, and maybe the second time though I didn’t answer that one, and since then the money has just gone through anyway.

Maybe a phone call to their English customer service (=Amy or whatever her name was) would help?

1 Like

I’ve never been able to receive foreign currency without going to a branch
It’s why I wanted to use this bank…. This transfer was just a small test to see what would happen before I do more regular transfers

Edit: i was actually previously able to receive foreign currency with e sun without going to the branch but they made me send an email picture of my passport EVERY time…

Went only once to a branch to receive a foreign inward transfer (but it was an experiment, I knew it would have had issues, and so it did).

Never with HSBC or Cathay United I have been asked to go to the branch to sign or confirm foreign currency crossborder transfers. With Cathay is all done via app or online or they even might call you, with HSBC always via phone (and it is free, Cathay always charged me ~6.5 USD handling fee).

I authorise myself in branch 16 Jan heard nothing since? Hoping Long CNY is the reason.
Will I receive unregistered letter with debit card or email to collect?

Call number 2 telling me to go to the branch. They also said they’ve ‘escalated’ the case. I was pretty pissed at this as I don’t understand why they need to ‘escalate’ their own terms to be followed.

I also was very clear that they aren’t foreigner friendly and it’s the same bullshit no one knowing how to do their job as every bank in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Send a complaint to the FSC stating that the bank isn’t following their own terms

4 Likes

Yes, do this.

When I opened an HSBC account they gave me some B.S. that foreigners couldn’t have online banking if your ARC expired in less than a year. I told them to point to the rule and they couldn’t. So I emailed the FSC and that made HSBC change their mind.

4 Likes

He’s, please complain. I still have until March to go to the branch to confirm my 100 euro test transaction from yuanta bank to richart…
I get an automatic email reminder from richart about this every week.

1 Like

For people having problems with Richart, this was in the gold card newsletter today:

Greetings from the Gold Card Task Force.

This week we met with the president and other executives of Taishin International Bank, to learn about the new Richart account for ARC and Gold Card holders.

This is big news – it’s the first time ever you can apply for a bank account online in Taiwan! Out-of-the-box, foreign currency accounts, international transfers, and a visa or MasterCard debit card you can use for online shopping are also included. This innovative bank is trying to make life in Taiwan better for Gold Card holders.

If you can, please support them by opening an account online:
Richart - 最能幫年輕人存到錢的銀行

Better yet - enter the promo code “EXPAT” and you’ll get NT300 in your new account! (conditions: Richart - 最能幫年輕人存到錢的銀行 )

Please drop us an email at help@taiwangoldcard.tw with the subject “Task Force Case Study” and include as much detail as possible about your issue (what you were told, what you did, where it was, and when it happened).

Note the final paragraph asking for feedback on Richart. It’s obviously directed at gold card holders, but presumably the feedback is still valid even if it happens to other A(P)RC holders.

5 Likes

Interest credit (and the bloody tax on it) is correctly registered on my account.

I see 5$ popped out of nowhere. I guess it’s the interest.

Did they withhold 10% or 20%? There seem to be different policies at different banks regarding foreigners in that regard.

closer to 20%.

For me exactly 20% tax deducted.

1 Like

I received an SMS saying to please reply to the email with questions. I already did that some weeks ago. Shitty experience so far.

1 Like

Finally got an email that the application is unsuccessful. Probably because my ARC is expiring less than a year. Will try again.