Richart - The first almost/kinda/marginally/minuscularly foreigner friendly bank

By the way, I found that Megabank has an almost-all-English app. I never knew. I was able to transfer money and schedule transfers.

I had emails asking me to do same questions 2 times, second saying I hadn’t replied, though I had.
I done it again, 3 days later email later confirming I was successful.
Second email was I’d say 4 weeks after first reply.
Seems to be different for each application.

2 Likes

Yes, it is decent, but mega bank is expensive tbh, even transfers to other mega bank account, but different branch, are charged according to their tariff list. I only used a credit card from them for a while.

2 Likes

:laughing:

I’m calling their customer service now. “Press 3 for English service” again got me through to someone with no English. This bugs me every time…

Why even include that as an option if it doesn’t affect who the call is directed to?!

5 Likes

Amy just called me to say my application had “failed” so I needed to answer the same 4 silly questions:

• Do I have household registration in Taiwan? A foreigner can’t have household registration in Taiwan.
  • How many days have I been in Taiwan? 6 or 7 years.
  • Do I have NHI? Yup.
  • Do I have a wife or children? Nope.

(Why don’t they just include these on the application form if they’re essential?)

8 Likes

I do feel so much for her, really. She is the only good thing of Richart besides the interest rate.

4 Likes

I got my card. Why can’t we use the normal app in Chinese? The English is too basic. How the interest works? The app says it only 0,47%? If is like this i will just keep using taishin instead.

I tried calling.
Almost 10 min waiting until gave up

You need to wait like 2/3 days for the interest rate to change after u put at least 1$.

2 Likes

I thought you had to exchange into USD? So what rate do they give on NTD? Also 4%-ish?

I guess that is the same for usd, it take some time to update. 3.97% p.a. on NTD

2 Likes

I just tried to do an international transfer in USD and kept getting account error. I was going to do a small-ish amount through transfer wise directly to my landlord just to pay my bond for the house in Australia I will be renting in the future.

I kept getting ‘account error’ after scanning the QR code to authenticate.

I gave up, transferred all my money to Cathay and transferred a much larger lump sum in AUD from Cathay to my Aussie bank. Much easier

The choice to leave Taiwan is making more and more sense as I count down the days.

Just received my withholding statement from my boss with my name incorrect for the 3rd year in a row. Last year both my name and ID number were incorrect.

Also received Taishin Insurance withholding statements declaring me an Australian tax resident despite them claiming several times that my CRS was corrected after they illegally tricked me into signing a false form.

I’ve liked Taiwan but it needs to grow the F up and start behaving like the modern country it pretends to be. Rant over.

7 Likes

I feel this often, banking not the only bureaucratic system that hails from the 80’s.

4 Likes

Honestly, I was a bit surprised to hear her voice after what you guys wrote before. For me she sounded somewhat impatient, perhaps even a little rude, and though her English was basically fine it was nothing to write home about (I had a hard time understanding a few bits).

I wonder if the job has taken its toll on her. Or maybe they have multiple Amys now…?

1 Like

Just sent a USD transfer into my girlfriends overseas account using Richart. $5USD was the fee… All done online. No need to go to the branch to ‘preset’ the account etc. Easy Also her HSBC account doesn’t charge for incoming foreign transactions.

2 Likes

Party time :partying_face:

Please note that foreigners will have an exclusive website and will have to access all transactions and account information through this website, however foreigners will be inclined to download Richart APP as a verification key to perform transactions on the website.

What does that mean? I’m not inclined to download an app I can’t use. Is this saying that we need to download the app anyway, even though foreigners can’t use it properly?

5 Likes

Yes :blush:

4 Likes

That’s annoying. I’m not inclined to do that at all!

1 Like

No online bank transfers for you then :cry:

4 Likes

I did not verify anything through any app, that I can remember. I do not have the app installed on my phone either. I think I could verify on the website somewhere.