Richart - The first almost/kinda/marginally/minuscularly foreigner friendly bank

I’m not sure about that. For foreign residents in Canada, for example, it seems like the information is shared anyway and the foreign tax office can ask for more info:

After the FFI [Canadian financial institution] files its annual information return, the CRA [Canadian Revenue Agency] shares the information with foreign tax authorities. Upon receiving any account information with missing TINs, the foreign tax authority will likely request the missing TINs from the CRA. The CRA will then forward this request to the FFI that filed the information return, at which point the FFI is obligated to contact the account holders to resolve the missing TINs.

I also think that Taiwanese banks are using “NOTIN” incorrectly, because that’s just supposed to be for jurisdictions that don’t issue TINs.

This matches my experience. I complained one year and it was fixed.

I think it’s 10%.

So, I checked the only 2 tax withholding statements I received so far: HSBC and CTBC. Both wrong and indicating as I stayed less than 183 days in Tw and considered Italian tax Resident…

Called HSBC first, they need to “check further” and call me back (might go to branch on Monday).

Called CTBC with the assistance of my gf for Chinese (still too difficult talking about tax in Chinese for me), they will have an English speaker call me back…

Funny fact: the withholding rate on HSBC form is like 5%! Whereas in CTBC is 20%.

3 Likes

Extracted following link from official Richart Line.

Richart - 最能幫年輕人存到錢的銀行

Looks like new accounts will get 1000NTD if you use that to get 6000 government tax payback!

Don’t be too :salt:y! Not like unmarried ARC holders can get it anyway :poop:

1 Like

Attempted to register for the promotion and got this:

Using an A16XXXXXXX ID number they somehow still know I’m a US citizen and use that to deny service. Perhaps tied to the HRO database?

2 Likes

I think you need to call Amy!

1 Like

Ever try not being a U.S. citizen? :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

The HRO has place of birth as the USA I guess? Still an unreasonable assumption as renouncing is required to naturalise

Update: Just received a message that they won’t open an account for me, took roughly seven weeks in total.

1 Like

Did you ask them why? Judging from previous rejections people have reported, it might help.

1 Like

Can you post the reason, along with the answers you provided?

Also… are you American? They don’t tend to like Americans :rofl:

I need to go pick my card up from the post office today (got the notification slip in my mailbox yesterday).

One thing I found odd is that my name on the slip is written in the Western order (first name last name) rather than the order on my ARC and other Taiwanese bank accounts (last name first name middle name). I’m kind of curious now if this is going to cause issues with incoming transfers, because at the moment I’m not really sure what order they want me to use.

2 Likes

No. I actually already have a nice fee free setup for moving funds, I was just curious about the user experience.

Banks tend to not give you reasons for application rejections. Answers were: No household reg, business owner yes, health insurance yes, 6 yrs in Taiwan, married yes.

No

Sounds like it may be the “business owner” part…

Maybe they’re asking a question without asking the question and what they really want to know is. “Will you be using this account for business purposes?”
Or, “Do you own a business in any country other than Taiwan?”

In Taiwan, don’t always give them the answers to questions asked. Give them the answers that will give you the end result you want/are entitled to. I hate this game but it’s the game of Taiwan.

5 Likes

My account name is that way same as ARC.

I replied as business owner Taiwan.

Also my ARC had 11 months not 12.
Seems like they pick them out of a hat.

I hope those people are only pretending to be that clueless. And the host (vtuber?) of course didn’t mention any of the annoying confirmation questions by phone after getting the fake rejection letter.

1 Like

The thing that is noticeably absent is the getting of credit for foreigners. The banks don’t want to offer that up very easily.
The other issues I face at the bank aren’t all that bad personally.

3 Likes