Richest Taiwanese Person Makes... Shoes

That’s a misunderstanding. TSMC has to figure out how to pack more and more transistors on a chip. That requires nanotechnology.

NVIDIA and AMD are just selecting which components go on a processor. That that requires engineering as well, but is much easier.

Also, Taiwan’s Mediatek is the market leader in fabless phone chip design.

To compare TSMC to Foxconn is quite absurd.

1 Like

We’re bitching about shoes. SHOES! Like Dave Chappell said, I wanna wear Nikes, I don’t wanna make them.

TSMC (and the vendors they rely on) are exceptionally good and scaling and whole bunch of other things, but design is not simply ‘selecting which components go on a processor’. That’s a ridiculous assessment.

There is arguably far more innovation at the architecture, circuits and systems level, especially going forward. It costs around half a billion US dollars to design and develop a chip for 5 nm production. Why do you think Google, Apple, Facebook and the likes are paying massive salaries and poaching people from the worlds best design houses?

DTCO and now STCO, is critical in continuing improving computational capabilities, relying only on litho based scaling is long gone. The semiconductor industry is far more complex than you seem to understand, and there isn’t a single company that can succeed in isolation.

I.e., selecting which components go on a chip.

They are bringing design in-house. The fact that design is easily brought in-house and manufacturing isn’t speaks volumes.

I didn’t say that.

1 Like

There must be many stealth rich Taiwanese people.

Top 20 countries/territories by most number of billionaires

1. United States: 735
  2. China: 539
  3. India: 166
  4. Germany: 134
  5. Russia: 83
  6. Hong Kong: 67
  7. Canada: 64
  8. Brazil: 62
  9. Italy : 52
  10. Taiwan: 51
  11. United Kingdom: 49
  12. Australia: 46
  13. Sweden: 45
  14. France: 43
  15. Switzerland: 41
  16. South Korea: 41
  17. Japan: 40
  18. Indonesia: 30
  19. Israel: 30
  20. Thailand: 28

Frankly I find it hard to believe that there are more USD billionaires in Taiwan than in Britain. That is just not possible.

3 Likes

Ever heard of anyone buying a one-way ticket out of Taiwan to escape high taxes?

In the ‘70s and '80s many rockers, at least temporarily, encamped to tax havens around the world. David Bowie and Marc Bolan moved to Switzerland; Cat Stevens to Brazil; and Rod Stewart and Bad Company to California. Ringo Starr moved to Monte Carlo in 1975; in an interview, he told Howard Stern he pays "zero taxes."Even the Police’s frontman Sting, who sang, “ I don’t wanna be no tax exile ” in 1978’s “Dead End Job,” left for Ireland two years later.

Today, musicians set up their bands as corporations in tax havens like the Netherlands, Luxembourg and the British Virgin Islands. “They hire financial advisers to find pathways through the international tax system to escape tax,” says Shaxson. “At the end of the day, it’s usually about finding loopholes.”

But back in the day, many rock stars purchased one-way tickets out of London’s Heathrow airport. Here are the stories behind some of the most famous tax exiles in the rock world.

1 Like

the difference isnt that big, only 2 people :slight_smile:
plus up till recently the uk also had many russian/arab/chinese billionaires there.

The difference is enormous. Britain has 3x the population and is a very old capitalist country.

Four of the top five fabless designers are Taiwanese.

Three of the remaining six have Taiwanese-American CEOs.

At present, the global top 10 fabless firms consist of six U.S. (Qualcomm, Nvidia, Broadcom, AMD, Marvell and Xilinx) and four Taiwanese (MediaTek, Novatek, Realtek and Himax).

1 Like

I have been wearing a Taiwanese brand of shoes called “George” for years. They are pretty ugly but so darn comfortable ; especially their “Air” shoes. The family who owns them are Hakkanese Taiwanese. I met one of the brothers once as my sister in law works there , ironically he was wearing flip flops lol

3 Likes
1 Like

This shoe manufacturing thing seems to be a real strength of Taiwan’s manufacturing elite. Consider for example Yunlin-based Fulgent Sun (a company I had never heard of), the subject of this fascinating report from Commonwealth Magazine:

Guy

3 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed the Commonwealth series on Taiwan shoe makers, they are putting out great English content these days.

Biggest is Pou Chen, they are on the Forbes list of 25 biggest apparel companies in the world, above Michael Kors

3 Likes

Seems like another example of Taiwan companies being OEM and not being the brand. Taiwan has done well in multiple industries following this business plan.

1 Like

When it comes to brands, we have . . . LaNew. :sorrow:

Guy

I worked for a tycoon in Taiwan that was frugal—complained that foreigners used too much toilet paper!