Riding a Scooter in Taiwan, a few words of caution

And if you’re a foreigner here, it’s automatically your fault, license or not.

Recently, I was driving over an intersection one day a blue truck drove down the wrong side of the road towards me and tried to cut me off to turn left. I jammed on the brakes and he stopped just short of me. We looked at each other. He then tried to drive around me (I was stationary at this time) and he scraped the side of my car. The police came and automatically blamed me. At the police station, there was a conference and they blamed me again, saying that in Taiwan you have to allow people to turn in front of you if they want to go and that “it is not the same in America” and “you should obey the Taiwanese road law.”

I finally referred it to my insurance but I was still 30% to blame, even though I wasn’t even moving at the time of this minor collision, was on the correct side of the road and had right of way. Might as well not have a license.

Bull pucky. The person who is at fault for the accident is the one whose driving caused it. The person without the license should get a ticket for no license, but it’s the driving behavior that should be considered to determine fault for the accident.

And I do think there is the propensity to blame the foreigner, regardless of whether they have a license or not.

Mostly the person that’s not hurt, drives the bigger vehicle, car to scooter, scooter to bicycle, or pedestrian is at fault … but if you’re Taiwanese than you know how to handle it … hong bao, paisay … visit in the hospital, if not too serious drive the victim to the hospital, to the doctor or whatever … follow-up … worked for me, thanks to my wife … but at a cost
And having some friends, guanxi at the police station helps too … to get it suspended … if you meet me in person I can tell you more, not suitable for publishing on the internet

Bull pucky. The person who is at fault for the accident is the one whose driving caused it. The person without the license should get a ticket for no license, but it’s the driving behavior that should be considered to determine fault for the accident.

And I do think there is the propensity to blame the foreigner, regardless of whether they have a license or not.[/quote]

Its not about you being a foreigner, thal always blame the other party for being wrong, being a foreigner has nothing to do with it.

You crash into my vehicle you are in the wrong and have to pay ok… thats all it is.

But from what I hear through the grapevine is that for many Taiwanese, it can be “I crash into your vehicle and you are in the wrong and have to pay ok”, especially if the other person is a foreigner.

But from what I hear through the grapevine is that for many Taiwanese, it can be “I crash into your vehicle and you are in the wrong and have to pay ok”, especially if the other person is a foreigner.[/quote]

Well thats true too and me being Taiwanese I play the blame game just as good as any other local. :smiley:

Sorry, Satellite TV…

but the phrase “Yes, but Taiwan is not like America - you need to abide by our rules” even when you are abiding by their rules, comes down to blaming the foreigner.
It happens “…Ni shih waigouren…”

Super Hans, have you been turning left in the situation you have described before?

I do remember from local driving test questions that in situation when two vehicles, one turning right and the other turning left into the same lane, the vehicle turning left has right of way (right turning vehicle should yield)

I do remember that because it is against “right hand rule” used in most of other countries.

Perhaps other posters can confirm that or provide references.

[quote=“Super Hans”]Sorry, Satellite TV…

but the phrase “Yes, but Taiwan is not like America - you need to abide by our rules” even when you are abiding by their rules, comes down to blaming the foreigner.
It happens “…Ni shih waigouren…”[/quote]

[quote=“Super Hans”]Sorry, Satellite TV…

It happens “…Ni shih waigouren…”[/quote]

Maybe you need to learn the real rules of the road then :roflmao:

What does America have to do with anything anyways?

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
What does America have to do with anything anyways?[/quote]
Arsehole local plods, in this particular case. See? If you were REALLY Taiwanese, you’d know VERY well that all foreigners are American.

No, I was driving straight on through green. He was turning left and came straight down my side of the road towards me, like they do on scooters. The thing is, we both stopped, but he then tried to drive around me and then he hit me - I was actually stationary at that moment - but, as logic dictates, it was still my fault. :laughing:

He was an ugly dick anyway. Felt sorry for him and his wife.

Riding a moto you are putting your life in the hands of a LOT of bimbo drivers who have no business operating a motor vehicle! Plus you are often among newbie riders like this hapless fellow:

youtube.com/watch?v=67oG-8DM … grec_index

[quote=“tommy525”]Riding a moto you are putting your life in the hands of a LOT of bimbo drivers who have no business operating a motor vehicle! Plus you are often among newbie riders like this hapless fellow:

youtube.com/watch?v=67oG-8DM … grec_index[/quote]
Feck! The scary thing is he’s probably got a license now!

Here’s a drunk fella. You this a lot late at night near certain types of pubs and KTVs…
youtube.com/watch?v=ZOfkol7g … re=related

Or idiotic local govts (hello TAichung??) who put these colorful tiles but didnt know they were super slippery when wet?? ONLY IN TAIWAN??

youtube.com/watch?v=0WUR3e-M … re=related

This cutie (dont know who she is ) is telling us about her friend who fell on a moto and got quite a few stitches and reminding people to ride carefully or better yet DONT RIDE AT ALL, TAKE THE PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

Smart (and cute) young lady

youtube.com/watch?v=F7RXxtFN … re=related

That’s the scooter license test? That’s it? Pass and you get a license? :ponder: After this they can go out starting waving in and out of traffic? :loco:

Yeah just pass something like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=g3e2GiGr … re=related

And you are ready to get trained the hard way out in traffic

This gals ready for her 4th attempt. Taiwanese girls are looking more foreign nowadays or what?

youtube.com/watch?v=oxxD62pc … re=related

Then they go out with their new license and do this shit :smiley:
youtube.com/watch?v=imQQbKiI … re=related

Then they graduate onto the heavy shit:

youtube.com/watch?v=G6pD746j … re=related

Meantime the car drivers dont do a whole lot better:
youtube.com/watch?v=ocFwCuTxzhw

It really is the return of neanderthal man

Yeah, mate, but remember where we are.
Pass a test - Get into a Senior High (level of school depending on the grade).
Pass a test - Get into a Uni (again, level depending on your grades).
Pass a test - Get into a post-grad program, regardless of what your undergrad was in.
Get a degree after several tests. Then? Pass a test to show that you “learned” something while you were obtaining your degree - Get a job.
If you want to work for the government, write a test. - If you pass, you get unleashed on children (school teachers) or the general population.

Did you actually learn anything out of those 16 to 18 years of tests? Stuff like logical thinking, how to actually apply the theory into practice, deductive abilities, you know, that sort of thing? Not important! You passed a test!

Then again, to be fair, I remember when I took my driving test in south Africa. We had to pass a written test, the driving range test, and go out on the road with the evaluator and fulfill all the requirements of what was then called the K-53 driving exam. It had things like 360 observations at traffic lights, several mirror observations when changing lanes and turning etc etc, and rules for observation when slowing down, braking and using the hand brake, as well as hand placement and usage on the steering wheel (10 to 2 position, and hands weren’t allowed to cross over each other at any point, but only allowed to slide/“steer” the steering wheel). After the road test and on hearing I had passed, I asked the examiner, “But I never see anyone driving like this?”
He answered, “Yes, well, this is just to get your license. Now you can do what you want.”

Arsehole local plods, in this particular case. See? If you were REALLY Taiwanese, you’d know VERY well that all foreigners are American.[/quote]

Yeah but who cares all foreigners looks the same, like foreigners. America is full of them

So what, Ninman doesn’t have a licence and does the same bloody thing as well.

It’s just a piece of paper anyways. Most people don get proper riding lessons before getting a licence.

Anyways Darwinism weeds out those that don’t deserve to survive.

More scooter shenanigans.

how did this guy fall?
youtube.com/watch?v=4wwPtk-l … re=related

And how many are using Taiwans roads as racetracks?

youtube.com/watch?v=mjlmRtn1 … re=related