Riding too hard or hardly riding? Cycling in Taiwan vs Overseas

I refer you back to my original post (which I have no memory of writing :blush:. Taiwan’s cycling culture is to blame. Shops selling pro bikes to people wit no idea what they’re buying and no need for a pro bike. The Dogma F8 is Chris Froome’s own bike.
Funny I haven’t seen Mr Wu lining up at any pro races recently…if he had half a brain he’d know to get a fitting before purchasing a NTD340,000 bike.

Both are at blame. The shop should make sure that the customer gets a bike of the correct size. Otherwise what’s the point of not buying online? it’s cheaper.

If the idiot wants to buy the best racing machine ever, that’s up to him. I guess nobody should stop him from buying it. I guess…

Aaaaand… hardly riding. :frowning:

Def Mr. Wu.

Buying an F8 without a fitting is like buying a Ferrari without first learning how to drive manual shift.

Of course we don’t know the whole story, but let’s say we knew that the store didn’t push a fitting previously and prior to purchase, I would place 10% blame on the store not pushing for it.

Hell, my friend just bought a Giant ISP frame that cost a third of his F8 and paid for a 14,000NT fitting from Friday Bikefit. We all thought he was crazy because a simple Specialized or Guru bikefit would’ve sufficed.

Also the F8 is an aero bike. You need multiple follow-up fits and bike position coaching to ensure that your own position on the bike is as aero as possible. Probably only Friday can do that in Taiwan.

Dude probably has poor core strength and bad posture. He’d be needing a Giant Defy at a fifth of the price, not an F8.

1 Like

I’d say he bought for the status not the machine. That kind of whip is like a 2nd or 3rd purchase after being really really sure biking is your gig. I just dropped 30K on mine after months of research on frame geo and groupos. Could be buyers remorse. I’ve bought bikes on a whim before. Didn’t blame the shop though, that was on me.

Half half. He wants the best because he wants to have it.

But again, it’s ridiculous. I guess that it’s not the most comfortable bike ever, and maybe he didn’t even ride before…? Probably the pain he’s experiencing is not necessarily linked to the frame size, but the bike type and his body not being used to that posture.

1 Like

You know what’s weird though, I feel like my light climbing bike is a bit more of a “snake” position than my aero bike. It’s probably me + different frame sizes and components.

Fool. Money. Etc.

Caveat emptor.

The end

I keep looking at his setup. You’d have to have short legs and super long torso for that thing to be comfortable. Perhaps a shorter stem? It could be as simple as his bike is a smaller size than his buddies.

Maybe he’s interested in selling his bike for a tenth of the original value? if so, I can consider it, because I fit your description (well, roughly).

I’m a believer in sizing down and then going for the longer stem, so I really have no sympathy for him. Guy probably doesn’t even own an allen key.

I see a business opportunity there. Expensive Towel Rack.com “no shame in selling your hasty purchases”.

Ya, ditto on the sizing.

But than there are great deals on awesome used bikes event hey get tired of em! Looking fwd to hook one. I had a Cervelo p3 carbon I bought from a guy who left the country in Playa del Carmen for $750usd, and boy do I miss it. ;-(

The shop has responded:

S__14540881

S__14540882

I’ll translate the important parts since you can’t Google translate an image.

• Mr Wu insisted on a bike that was in the pro peleton
  • After measurements, Ms Lin, the store manager, suggested a 50cm frame or a size up
  • Mr Wu decided to go the smaller size and Ms Lin did tell him the repercussions for a smaller size
  • After receiving the frame and having the shop put it together, Mr Wu insisted on a slammed stem despite Ms Lin’s suggestions
  • Mr Wu bought the bike Oct 2016 and didn’t come back with complaints until Sept 2017
  • After the shop not giving into Mr Wu’s demands, he went to one of the shop’s sponsored events and harassed Ms Lin
  • The shop released that Ms Lin no longer works at the shop

Not only did this dbag embarass himself, but got Ms Lin either fired or made her leave her job. I hope it’s the latter, best she shouldn’t stay there if things go south for Mr Wu and he knows where to find her.

Miss Lin actually went to the police to file assault charges against this dickhead after he started pushing her at the event. Sounds like a real winner.

Buys an F8…thinks he can get away with anything.

…never thought that this kind of thought process could happen in the bike world.

Just like that guy who drove his Porsche into the dealership because he was unhappy about some of the extras costing, well, extra.

Er… what? O_o