Riding too hard or hardly riding? Cycling in Taiwan vs Overseas

Eh? Sent what before?

Someone linked those rules some time ago. Not sure who.

May well have done. I canā€™t remember what I did yesterday most of the time.

Fairly well-known in cycling circles, and Rule 5 is the only one I can remember.

Thatā€™s what a lot of Calif riders do. Carry their bikes to scenic areas then ride them

Iā€™m thinking to put a hitch on my Prius and get a bike rack attached so me and missus can bring our treks to scenic areas and ride

Yeah but that could be a 50k drive out of the city. This is a 10k drive followed by a 30k ride.

Maybe the 10k portion is tedious and they didnā€™t want to do that portion on a bike just wanted the fun parts however long that was

We are a bit spoiled in Taipei City, but for cyclist living in Banqiao, Xinzhuang or Toucheng to name a few, getting to YMS is a nightmare.

If I had the option to drive and skip the not fun parts of the ride, I would def.

1 Like

But they donā€™t HAVE to get to YMS. Thereā€™re hills within a 15-minute ride for cyclists from all of those places to climb. Maybe theyā€™re not as nice as Balaka or Lengshuikeng, but theyā€™re much nicer than say anything around Houston. Yes, we are spoiled in Taipei.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve climbed to Erziping via Balaka this morning. 2:08:56 total time, including a little dead-end exploring detour, and stops.

Yes, Iā€™m spoiled.

1 Like

God, lap of luxury, eh? You have all the luck! Meanwhile Iā€™m enduring the hardship of waiting for my fish and chips at Dazzlers in Baishawan, after having to put up with a ride through the mountains above Zhishan, very few cars to swear at, not even much pollution or humidity or heat to whine about. Perfect weather.

Oh look thereā€™s a young woman in a bikini.

Yup, a day of suffering indeed.

Windsurfing looks fun. I really should try that one day.

2 Likes

You know youā€™re doing cycling well when your rides include food on a table and bikinis.

1 Like

Itā€™s a warm up. Maybe an annoying one, but better than starting to ride right on a slope.

And a pleasant surprise after the meal too ā€¦ usually if I have a meal during a bike ride, for the rest of the ride, Iā€™m pretty much just limping along. But fish and chips, of all things, somehow gave me energy and a second wind?! My second best time climbing the 北12 on the way back.