Rifat interviews foreigners on Taiwan building structure.

Errr… ever hear of a country called Japan? They seem to build better buildings that look good. So it can be done if one is willing to invest the money, which Taiwanese are not.

They don’t look good. That’s Italy. They are clean and organised, but they don’t look anything special.

I guess that’s your opinion. Japanese buildings look much better than Taiwanese buildings. I wouldn’t call Japanese buildings architectural wonders if that’s what you mean, but they do look good.

Well of course, but they are very plain looking.

This is good-looking.

Eh road structure, traffic, influenced by old buildings that cannot be brought down or moved.

At least Japan has a similar situation in terms of people and weather and challenges -quakes and typhoons.

There is a lovely program in Wakuwaku Japan about remodeling Japanese places. A truly amazing feat.

the really old buildings in taiwan also look good. theres just not a whole city preserved of them…

japanese streets look amazing to my eyes. everything is so clean and neat. i like how each building is totally separated from the next too. its the best looking urban environment i’ve ever seen.

I think that modern Japanese buildings are horrifically boring. Go to new districts in Tokyo like the docklands, all built to last a couple of decades at most. I find them kind of depressing.

It’s called graffiti.

1 Like

I once asked some local yuppies why all the ugly buildings. They said the owners are all old people, and old people don’t like to change things.

Now if something works, I’m all for keeping it. (I’m not at all sentimental, although I am conservative in the practical sense.) But for my eyeballs, it ain’t working. And surely they can’t still love those steep, narrow stairwells when their knees are failing.

If it ain’t broke, wait for an earthquake to bring it down.

Lick of fuckin’ paint fer fecksakes

2 Likes

We sometimes go to Jhuwei fishing port as the seafood restaurants are pretty good. It would take such a tiny amount of money and effort to make the place not look like a complete shithole. And this is true of so many places in Taiwan that the only possible conclusion is people simply don’t give a toss.

Best looking houses are in Tainan, IMO. They seem to care down there.

Yes. And there are lots here still standing. My pint is if people just shout out probpems , especially foreigners in a xenophobic society, it is a great waste of time. Focus on what’s important. And the is human life not so much how faded the paint looks . I’m right there with you all on these points, but the approach and tactics to fix things need as much tweeting as the problem itself.

Fuck, even you guys up in God’s country flying around with sky dragons killed a few people building your large worlds tallest penis, I mean bamboo, building when the frame fell and wasn’t even anchored down. If you guys think tlw as a nation can handle common sense and quality control, nevermind aesthetic design, I think you are in for a rude awakening haha.

This is the single most reason I’m against nuclear power, Taiwan is too innept and incapable of it, already made a gong show out of it. Rusty sign boards are the least of my worries. Ahem* Japan*…

Cheap! Run of the mill windows, one size fits all! Who cares about double or triple pane windows?

Taiwan will remain looking like a 3th world country as long as all these building violations are not taken away, or down.

2 Likes

Whoah! Not in Taipei it ain’t!

1 Like

At least newer developments forbid these cages in plain sight, they try to include them in the design.

but losing face can be effective! foreigners pointing out the things that suck can help imo. of course a bunch of people will just respond with the usual ’ this is taiwan! if you don’t like it go back to your own country! kick out of taiwan!’ but plenty will be given food for thought too.

Yes I agree, to a point. Organizing and focusing on topics is very much more effective though. As with anything, repetition of the same thing becomes reality.