Right of Way question

LEGALLY (not simply common practice) are motor vehicle drivers required to yeild right of way to pedestrians, bicyclists, scooter rifers that are already in the travelled portion of a roadway? I know there was mention of right of way some time back, including how to say it in Chinese, but Search is not finding any results for me.
I know it won’t change anyone’s driving habits. I just like to have it in my knowledge base to yell back at drivers who yell at me after they almost hit me, or the next time I do get involved in a collision.

While you’re waiting for your request to be processed, please watch this amusing animated GIF.

[quote=“kjmillig”]LEGALLY (not simply common practice) are motor vehicle drivers required to yeild right of way to pedestrians, bicyclists, scooter rifers that are already in the travelled portion of a roadway? I know there was mention of right of way some time back, including how to say it in Chinese, but Search is not finding any results for me.
I know it won’t change anyone’s driving habits. I just like to have it in my knowledge base to yell back at drivers who yell at me after they almost hit me, or the next time I do get involved in a collision.[/quote]

I would assume a simple “GO FORNICATE WITH YOUR INBRED ANCESTORS”, might be more effective.
They probably do not know what right of way means. Even in Chinese.

[quote=“kjmillig”]LEGALLY (not simply common practice) are motor vehicle drivers required to yeild right of way to pedestrians, bicyclists, scooter rifers that are already in the travelled portion of a roadway? I know there was mention of right of way some time back, including how to say it in Chinese, but Search is not finding any results for me.
I know it won’t change anyone’s driving habits. I just like to have it in my knowledge base to yell back at drivers who yell at me after they almost hit me, or the next time I do get involved in a collision.[/quote]

Actually recently this law has changed and I know in Taipei and I think Taoyuan county legally motor vehicle drivers are required to yield. This law just passed a few months ago, so most vehicles probably still won’t yield to you. Walking across the street last week a car made me stop so he could go first. It was pouring down rain too, so I smacked my umbrella against his shitty SUV. He didn’t stop, just kept going. Such a jerk. In the future though more and more Taiwanese should start to yield for pedestrians.

A little knowledge base can be a dangerous thing…

Laws are only good if they are enforced. It doesn’t matter what the law is; if the police do not enforce it, it doesn’t exist.

Right of way in Taiwan seems to be determined by

1. Who gets there first
  2. Who has the bigger vehicle

Right of way = 路权 (I only have simplified characters loaded in my google)

I stayed in Taipei for 2 weeks and now back to LA.
I have seen many cars, taxis yielding to me while I cross, so there is definitely improvement now in Taipei at least.

While a friend drove me one night, I observed something and I asked my friend how this works when making a left turn. In US, making a left turn, you either wait for all cars to clear, or when the traffic light to turn red.

In Taiwan, the cars continue to flow and you will never have a moment to cross if you wait, so to gain the right of way is to see who reaches the center point first. This appears frightening at first, but my friend assured me that the oncoming cars will slow down and wait for you to make the left turn since you now have the right of way.

dont bet on any sort of right of way being put in practice for the next millenia on the rock.

[quote=“fh2000”]Right of way = 路权 (I only have simplified characters loaded in my google)

While a friend drove me one night, I observed something and I asked my friend how this works when making a left turn. In US, making a left turn, you either wait for all cars to clear, or when the traffic light to turn red.

In Taiwan, the cars continue to flow and you will never have a moment to cross if you wait, so to gain the right of way is to see who reaches the center point first. This appears frightening at first, but my friend assured me that the oncoming cars will slow down and wait for you to make the left turn since you now have the right of way.[/quote]

I assume that’s for a car. Scooters cannot legally turn left, even on a green light. They must go right and position themselves in front of the crosswalk on their right that points in the direction of their intended left turn. Then when that light turns green, they may go straight to complete their left turn.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“kjmillig”]LEGALLY (not simply common practice) are motor vehicle drivers required to yeild right of way to pedestrians, bicyclists, scooter rifers that are already in the travelled portion of a roadway? I know there was mention of right of way some time back, including how to say it in Chinese, but Search is not finding any results for me.

Actually recently this law has changed and I know in Taipei and I think Taoyuan county legally motor vehicle drivers are required to yield. This law just passed a few months ago, so most vehicles probably still won’t yield to you.[/quote]

The police are clamping down on vehicles that fail to give way at zebra crossings at the moment. I’m not sure what the fine is, but for some reason I have a figure of 6,000NTD in my head. Obviously it’s just the latest flavour of the month and things will go back to normal after CNY. You are correct that vehicles are legally obliged to give way to pedestrians.

Also, they are about to introduce much more stringent punishments for drink driving (DUI). After the New Year anyone driving above 0.5 will get a minimum 90,000NTD for a first time offence. Second time offence will be 180,000NTD plus an automatic jail sentence. Again, I may be wrong with the details as I’ve only gained this information from my Taiwanese chums.

Yes, it’s law to give way to pedestrians on crossings … and I TAKE it, everyday … they hit me … they’ll pay … simple!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD