Right to use old class material , student voice overs, modeling.. etc Fifteen year old material

Back in the day, I created some PowerPoint slides and presentations using student talent.
Some are similar to the old Sesame Street segmants where the kid shows the process of getting lunch in the Taiwanese School etc. Some are student book reports where the kids illustrated them themselves, did the voice-overs with a little animation magic from me. I had a little one-room schoolhouse thing going so the media, the place, equipment, and ideas, I guess are owned by me. But the talent was my students. Permission was granted for in-class use but nothing in writing.
Anyway, I found them and converted them to MP4 and would like to know what I’m allowed to do with them. Can I post them in my private Facebook circle? Can I share them with others?
I could possible go back and try to find the students. But I’ve lost track of them. Some may have even left the country. Plus, there are “lots of extras” including my students’ classmates, teachers and lunch ladies. Whatever I use it for it will be for non-comercial use, except for serving as a teacher’s aid in my own little classes, perhaps. They are cute and pretty good. I don’ want to “destroy them.”

A post was split to a new topic: Why can’t I edit my post?

Facebook and non-commercial don’t go well together. Even if it’s “private”, it’s still in facebook, and other people can spread it. The safe approach is to get a formal, written release from every person who can be identified. (In theory this include voices.)

So, if people can’t be found or sadly passed away, that material is forbidden to use at all?
If that’s the case, what’s the difference between this and the case of the
English Teacher being snapped doing a class and his image being sold as clip art and used as an illustration to every sexual assult or lewd story about English teachers.
Last I read, that poor guy had no legal right to stop its use.

Well, the safe way is to get written permission from everyone.

“Fair use” is complicated, and a news organization can get away with more than a random person, because press freedom is a pillar of democracy (whereas facebook isn’t, or at least most judges probably don’t think it is).

If in doubt, ask a lawyer. :2cents:

I suppose you could also put an emoji on every face you can’t account for. :idunno:

How long time makes the content a historical material?

If it’s for instructing or sharing your teaching experience with a private teacher group, maybe. If you’re sharing this on a public Facebook group or you’re showing it in other classes, then that’s probably not good.

Ok…
Let’s say I can do this again.
What agreements would I need to secure permission for the original purpose, class room activity, sharing with a sister class in America and allow me the rights to keep and use it in the future.
We still can see Mr. Bungle. All those kids are probably dead and the video is in the public domain?
My stuff was shot in the public school. Could I get the current principal to grant me permission?
The school posts things of their public website without any releases.
It’s cute material and the talent is unique.

1 Like