Right wing in tizzy about Coke ad

Nonsense. A common tool of debate.
And as for being topical, well, this ain’t Roberts Rules…
Issues contain many layers, and much sediment. Could it possibly be the case: that what one sees as an off-topic red kipper, might well be to someone other, a vital crux?

Why don’t you ask one of the mods, with reference to the exact quotes in mind?

And as far as the ad goes.
While Coca-Cola’s twisted history is duly noted, surely they have a right to market their product to who ever they damn well please. The real issue here is not the commercial in and of itself, but more so that it happened during the Superbowl. Or however it is you spell that “last bastion of American facism”…

Tolerant Netherlands Tells Immigrants to Learn Dutch or Get Out…

:ponder:

[quote=“Tigerman”]Tolerant Netherlands Tells Immigrants to Learn Dutch or Get Out…

:ponder:[/quote]

Hi! What possible fecking relevance does your post have to this thread?

People from Liberal country X want immigrants to speak X language. This is normal.

RW people from divided country Y object to a Coca cola ad that is very diverse. This is weird.

So?

Do you have a point sir?

[quote=“Tigerman”]Tolerant Netherlands Tells Immigrants to Learn Dutch or Get Out…

[quote=“BigJohn”]Hi! What possible fecking relevance does your post have to this thread?

People from Liberal country X want immigrants to speak X language. This is normal.

RW people from divided country Y object to a Coca cola ad that is very diverse. This is weird.

So?

Do you have a point sir?[/quote]

If you had read my posts in this thread my point should be obvious.

From my first post in this thread:

That is, very few people [from an extremely right wing site in the US] were upset at the [color=#FF0000]diversity[/color] shown in the ad, but instead would have preferred to see those different American people singing in [color=#FF0000]English[/color], even if (especially with) with heavy accents.

My point, if it is still unclear, is that most right wingers are not at all upset about the diversity depicted in the ad, and instead, if upset at anything, are only irked that the ad did not have the diverse peoples singing in English.

I posted the link to the story of the Netherlands requiring immigrants to learn to speak Dutch to show that there really is nothing particularly peculiar about the real red winger reaction to the ad if it is even more tolerant than the Dutch in regard to immigrants speaking foreign languages.

As you admitted above, it is normal for people from country X to want immigrants to speak X language. Thus, the topic of this thread appears to be an attempt at trolling.

[quote=“Tigerman”]

[quote=“BigJohn”]

Do you have a point sir?[/quote]

If you had read my posts in this thread my point should be obvious.[/quote]

Nope!

[quote=“Tigerman”]
I posted the link to the story of the Netherlands requiring immigrants to learn to speak Dutch to show that there really is nothing particularly peculiar about the real red winger reaction to the ad if it is even more tolerant than the Dutch in regard to immigrants speaking foreign languages.

As you admitted above, it is normal for people from country X to want immigrants to speak X language. Thus, the topic of this thread appears to be an attempt at trolling.[/quote]

You are conflating government standards that immigrants speak the official language - a functional requirement - with private citizens xenophobic reaction to a global company using global diversity as part of its advertising campaign.

I agree.

[quote=“Tigerman”]
…there really is nothing particularly peculiar about the real red winger reaction to the ad… [/quote]
Real Red Winger? Makes me think of Detroit…

Nice try.
The title is perhaps a tad trollish, but surely the reaction to the ad is an issue. Some nutters take their Coke, their apple pie, and their Picante sauce quite seriously. Coke is quite cunning in playing up to new or emerging markets, and as such, why not carry the message in several languages? Especially during the much bloatedly hyped superbowl, which NFL execs surely must be trying to promote overseas?

In addition, it must surely be recognised that linguistic prejudice is a very slippery slope, with a roughly hewn path winding precariously towards social strife.

[quote=“BigJohn”]
You are conflating government standards that immigrants speak the official language - a functional requirement - with private citizens xenophobic reaction to a global company using global diversity as part of its advertising campaign.[/quote]

:unamused:

Um… No.

I’m not conflating anything. I’ve showed that most right wingers, despite the trollish title of this thread, apparently have no problem with the diversity shown in the ad. That has been the charge… that right wingers were angry at the diversity illustrated in the ad. That assertion is nonsense unless it is applied to a few individuals (rather than with a broad brush stroke). And I know many Democrats who complain loudly about immigrants not speaking English. Would it go down swell here if I started a thread titled Democrats in a Tizzy Over Immigrants Not Speaking English? No, it wouldn’t. Many of you libs would jump up and down and pull out your hair in protest.

BTW, do you know that we do not have an official language in the US? The OP is trolling with the title of this thread.

Coke is not cunning or playing up to emerging markets if, as has been suggested, the ad appeared only in the US market. If this is true, then I’ve already explained (showed) why some right wingers were irked by the ad. They asked, “why not have them all sing in English, even with their heavy foreign accents?”

:wall:

Mmm, I was thinking about the accent suggestions and I believe some people would find that “racist”. They might say it is mockery, that most immigrants have lost the accent -heck, give them one generation and they have lost the original language- and that they will sue for discrimination. sigh You can’t please everyone.

I was also thinking that, Coke being a symbol of the US as McD and KFC, what if the idea had been to export the US image to the world? A piece of the US across continents. I am trying to be positive here.

Tigerman: you think there are not emerging markets in the U.S.A?

The title shall stand, for the moment. While not admirable, feel free to stoop so low. We've got the obamacare threads within which to bleat.

Yes, the Netherlands has been seeing a surging wave of conservatism recently. That is well known.

[quote=“Tigerman”]
Coke is not cunning or playing up to emerging markets if, as has been suggested, the ad appeared only in the US market. If this is true, then I’ve already explained (showed) why some right wingers were irked by the ad. They asked, “why not have them all sing in English, even with their heavy foreign accents?”
:wall:[/quote]

That may be a valid (if xenophobic) POV, but it has little to do with Dutch citizenship requirements.

How would it be xenophobic?

The Oxford Dictionary defines xenophobia as an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.

Did you read the quotes I posted from the very conservative site, Right Nation? If you did, how in the fuck could you 1) conclude that those folks were expressing or exhibiting xenophobia, and 2) not see the relevance of the Dutch citizenship requirements as a point of contrast?

How would it be xenophobic?

The Oxford Dictionary defines xenophobia as an intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries.
[/quote]

Well, I see you are not xenophobic when it comes to dictionaries!

But since we are talking about Americans, let’s use Merriam Webster, in which xenophobia is defined as “fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign”.

That fits the bill about right.

Question: did you search Webster first and then try and find another definition that better fit your argument?

However, I thing Tigerman is quite right in objecting to the use of “right wing” to describe the complainers. While I would imagine they probably were right wing, I don’t think racism or xenophobia is an something owned by the right wing. There are lots of very open minded right wing people out there.