Rights for English Teachers

I think I see what you are saying Richard, that there is no right of appeal against a decision to remove the hapless English teacher, so any case that would have to be fought would have to be fought from abroad - practically impossible.

Hexuan

It is not impossible to fight an unfair decision to end the contract of an English teacher. There are many scenarios where that could be done. For example, what if this teacher is losing his/her residency rights based on the work permit for teaching, but is changing to residency rights based on (1) marriage to an ROC national, or (2) employment in a job under the Ministry of Economic Affairs, etc.

This person would be an ideal “test case” for challenging the Taiwanese mindset that an English teacher can be effectively fired at will. However, without persuasion, these people are probably not going to be interested in undertaking litigation FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE ENTIRE ENGLISH TEACHING COMMUNITY, because, looking at their own situations, they are already moving on to greener pastures so to speak.

Hence, as I stated above: The identification of and locating of suitable persons who can serve as “test cases” for undertaking such litigation needs to be a point of major focus for a teachers’ rights association.

I’ve met remarkably driven, professional and even exceptional English teachers. I’ve also met drug-hazed individuals in bars who admitted to covering their expenses by teaching. There are all kinds of teachers here in Taiwan.

If you haven’t come across the type that don’t support your particular bias then you haven’t been looking hard enough.

Would anyone know much about buxiban contractual obligations?
1.In the case where no contract has been signed by employer or teacher.
2.In the case of reduced working hours as teachers “paid by hour” not earning enough to make ends meet and forced to find illegal work to compensate.

Teacher qualifications are not the intended topic of this dicussion.

The point of this thread is worker’s rights, and in this regard, the only thing that matters is the law. If the law states that a person is qualified to teach English, then that teacher can be a constituent to a lobbying case.

What are the unfair laws/regulations that teachers face in Taiwan? Please, someone, list them out. Thanks.

Then Alien, wake up to the real world.

My wifes niece recently pulled her son from a class because the “professional teacher” was taking a class basically 9 parts pissed, and this was in the early evening. An utter disgrace.

I have to agree with the earlier posters who where saying that the non professional should get banned. Just having a degree and being a native speaker does not make a teacher, particulalrly of younger children.

The required certifications for obtaining a work permit should include having completed and passed recognised teacher training courses etc.

But again, why limit this purely to English Teachers, they are not the only ones who have to undertake medicals in order to get ARC’s of that much i can assure you.

The other thing, is reading the different forum sites available, isd the number of people that arrive in Taiwan without a confirmed job, and then having to take something to keep the wolf from the door (sorry wolfie, not talking about you) and not bothering to check the conditions properly.
Almost all of the problems mentioned with the exception of the linking of an ARC with a work permit are items that shouldf be covered in any employment contract and if people did not see this game as a pure money making exercise for a couple of years then perhaps more of them would ensure they had proper contracts before signing them.

Nevermind…

OK Traveller, fair enough, but what’s to say this guy wasn’t a certified teacher with a TEFL etc. If it was a case whereby all teachers needed to be qualified and more, well there’d to a huge shortage of teachers here. I’m not totally disagreeing, but I’ve seen passionate teachers here who more than care about their jobs, and have learnt from others as well as themselves. And then I’ve seen teachers with a TEFL who care nothing more than making sure that they don’t need to come in on any Saturdays and do as little as possible. Before you catogorise me, I also have my CELTA, I’m just calling what I’ve seen in my almost 3 years here.
By Traveller

quote[quote] My wifes niece recently pulled her son from a class because the “professional teacher” was taking a class basically 9 parts pissed, and this was in the early evening. An utter disgrace. [/quote]

quote[quote]The required certifications for obtaining a work permit should include having completed and passed recognised teacher training courses etc. [/quote]

Alien has a good idea and if Mr. Hartzell was involved than that would be wonderful. There is a a problem though.

PR-public relations
Foreign teachers have a huge PR battle ahead of them. Don’t think of it as fighting for your rights per se, but as educating the public. Taiwanese parents don’t know the difference in teachers. Most aren’t even aware ther is a difference. You need to set standards and educate the public of those standards. Implement training programs and extra curricular activities through the committee.

By setting a standard and insuring the quality of teachers through the program. You are offering a value added service. Explain it in simple terms with colorful brochures and a website and presto! Parents want to know that their child’s teacher is qualified. By offering services and avoiding the term “union”, I think most of these objectives can be met.

The problem:
Teaching in Taiwan is normally a short term gig. With high turn over and a young independent core group of professionals

There is a lot of work involved

Effectively communcating a new idea and making a mental shift in the parents minds. How much would a parent like to see how their child’s teacher is ranked and recognized? This is a valid question. Teaching English is a service and if we fail to capitalize on the oppurtunity now, will we be in danger of working ourselves out of a job.

How would laobans and specifically the big chains react?

I’ll draw up something hopefully this weekend that puts a coherent plan and I would like to discuss this with Alien sometime, if he’s still interested.

Okami

They do have a standard for hiring in Taiwan. Blue eyes, blond hair, and that beautiful blue American passport, followed by and in no particular order, Canada, England, N.Z., Australia, and South Africa (last of course). Anyone else forget it. Not white? Good luck.

The idea of any kind of union or standard is unrealistic. Look at our employers. You want them to be fair and honest and think of education in the terms that we do? Forget about it. I’m still suprised how these ignorant rice farmers can function day to day without killing themselves.

Alien is a ‘she’.

Thanks, Okami. It would be nice to find someone who could take this idea a step further.

At one point (more than a year ago) some folks formed a small group who were interested in pursuing this issue. Now, two of the original “members” are no longer teaching.

The constant flux of foreign teachers in Taiwan will make this a very difficult task to initiate.

Really, I’m surprised people as ignorant as yourself actually find employment on this island. :unamused:

Dear Mr. Chung (that kinda name always makes me chuckle),

Thats the beauty of the blue eyes, blond hair, and that oh so lovely American passport.  I think that teaching English in Taiwan should be a carear option for special ed students in America.  God, you only need to have half a brain cell and your still one up on these primative locals.  Who has Corky's phone number from Life Goes On?

Well, your posts surely disprove that particular nugget very nicely.

Oh you are a regular Billy Crystal. My sides are hurting from laughing so hard. Did you think that up all by yourself or did you need help?

90630, for your own sake get help, take a vacation, or leave. Sure, a lot of things about this place suck but you are really letting it get to you.

Everyone has a point - but I take it this group would end up mostly being a Taipei thing. Well, I don’t live in Taipei, or in the city, so where do I fit into the scheme of things?