Ringing in ear?

Hi all,

Just today i got a weird ringing sensation in both my ears. It’s been going on all day. I can still hear fine, but i get a slight buzzin sound in both ears. Does anybody know what’s going on? It kinda feels like when you have your hands covering your ears.

FYI, I feel perfectly healthy. I also didn’t do anything stupid like put my ears next to loudspeakers or anything.

please help!

Could be high blood pressure.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitis

Reminds me of a funny story:

When I was in high school, I went to the local doc because my ear was ringing. This guy was special. I lived in a hick town, with only one doctor – a Cuban guy who I’m nearly certain came in by way of a midnight, innertube flotilla.

Doctor: What is wrong?
I: My ear has been ringing for two days.
Doctor: Do you think something is in there?

It was my fervent belief, for this and other reasons, that he was actually a vet in his home country. :loco:

Its the telephone, answer it and the ringing will stop! :wink:

hm…tinnitus sounds kinda vague…anyone else has experience with ringing ear? it just happened all of a sudden…

[quote]Most of us will experience tinnitus or sounds in the ears at some time or another, even if it is just after a loud noise. About 20% of people have a longer lasting tinnitus (pronounced either tih-NIGHT-us or TIN-ih-tus) or sounds in the ear that they notice most of the time.

Tinnitus can be extremely disturbing to people who have it. A number of techniques and treatments can help. The good news is that most people are able to learn to live with their tinnitus without any sort of treatment. Only a small proportion of people with tinnitus ever require a medical or surgical treatment.

Tinnitus is not a disease in itself but rather a reflection of something else that is going on in the hearing system or brain.

You haven’t been playing with explosives again, have you?

Might be the onset of a cold/flu or similar. My hearing loss has gotten so bad that I can no longer hear the tinnitus, ha ha, but when I’m coming down with something (especially with a fever) it becomes noticeable again.

Get is checked out, but, If you’re stuck with it then the best thing you can do is ignore it. I’m aware right now of a loud ringing in my left ear. But, generally I don’t notice it.

Mine was caused by growing up with lots of shooting and later one very loud noise left me with the ringing. The doctor told me that if people cut tin with a carbide tipped wood saw and no ear plugs they get it. He has seen a number of them. Must have been a “how to do it” tip on a tv program.

“Silence is not golden” for tinnitus sufferers.

Bodo, so are you a doctor?

Have you had cases where people just randomly get it even though they are perfectly healthy and had no exposure to especially loud noice? Does it ever get better or go away?

For the rest of the people who have experienced it, does it ever get better? As in actually cured…or do you just have to learn to live with it? It seems rather strange that it would just appear out of nowhere…one minute i was perfectly fine, and the next minute there it is…

I think i might have this too…anybody experienced this or heard about it?

You might want to cut salt out of your diet for a while to see if that changes the condition.

I have the same problem, I heard it’s a kidney thing. Do you go to the washroom at night? Check with the doctor to make sure. But the doctor who told me it’s a kidney thing is a Chinese doctor.

Nah, its not a kidney thing. It’s called SUDDEN DEAFNESS, or SSHL (Sudden Sensor-neural Hearing Loss)

Yes, I have tinnitus, too.

Mine is a very high-pitched frequency, unfortunately. If it were mid-range, I could figure out what note it is, then I could have perfect pitch.

I’ve had it since I was a kid, but just thought it was normal and everyone had it. I’d close my ears and hear my heart, my breathing, and, you know, that “Eeeeeeee”. So mom said, “It’s just the sound of your brain thinking.” And I accepted that. It was barely noticeable anyway, only when I was swimming underwater or closed my ears.

EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee…

(Why is this thread so dead, btw?)

Anyway, it’s gotten worse recently. This could be because of:

1. recent rise in my cholesterol levels, decreasing blood flow to inner ear
    or…
  2. acoustic shock (some idiot turned the PA system way too loud when I was at some Christmas presentation.)

anyway, it’s been bugging me recently, and at least its nice to know I’ve got companions in misery or something, I guess. Other companions in misery who have tinnitus include:
Bono
The Edge
Pete Townshend (and he’s got a very serious case of it)
Neil Young (the reason why he started making quieter acoustic music)
Sting
Thom Yorke

So, in other words, tinnitus is actually kind of cool.

I guess it is something only a few of us deal with. As I mentioned back in September I have it loud in the left ear.

I’ve not heard it all day until just now when I read this thread. Right now I can hear it loud EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee as you mentioned.

You either ignore it or go crazy.