RIP Bob Probert

Wow, all that by age 45. He certainly lived hard and died young.

[quote=“k.k.”]The hockey world lost one of it’s more colorful alumni today.

Ex-Red Wing enforcer Probert dies

[quote]Former NHL enforcer Bob Probert died after collapsing on a boat in Ontario on Monday. He was 45.

While playing for the Detroit Red Wings from 1985-86 to 1993-94, Probert was charged several times with driving under the influence. He also was caught trying to carry cocaine from Canada into the United States, and served a prison term.

Probert retired in November 2003 after 17 seasons with the Red Wings and the Chicago Blackhawks. He finished his career with 163 goals, 384 points and 3,300 penalty minutes – fourth in NHL history – in 935 games.[/quote]

[/quote]

Probert, notorious drunk/ cokehead.
Amazing, though that he was that young, jeez.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“k.k.”]The hockey world lost one of it’s more colorful alumni today.

[quote]Former NHL enforcer Bob Probert died after collapsing on a boat in Ontario on Monday. He was 45.

While playing for the Detroit Red Wings from 1985-86 to 1993-94, Probert was charged several times with driving under the influence. He also was caught trying to carry cocaine from Canada into the United States, and served a prison term.

Probert retired in November 2003 after 17 seasons with the Red Wings and the Chicago Blackhawks. He finished his career with 163 goals, 384 points and 3,300 penalty minutes – fourth in NHL history – in 935 games.[/quote]

[/quote]

Amazing, though that he was that young, jeez.[/quote]

Yea, but sports and the lifestyle that goes with it probably ages those players by 10 years…

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“the chief”][quote=“k.k.”]The hockey world lost one of it’s more colorful alumni today.

[/quote]

Amazing, though that he was that young, jeez.[/quote]

Yea, but sports and the lifestyle that goes with it probably ages those players by 10 years…[/quote]

Oh hell yes, especially in the 80’s.
I was a bartender in Edmonton all through the Oilers’ legacy years, and witnessed a few and heard millions more cocaine horror stories.

Not Gretzky, mind you!!! :no-no:

Remember:

sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5356462

One of the toughest men to ever laces em up. even made an all star team one year.

[quote=“the chief”]
I was a bartender in Edmonton all through the Oilers’ legacy years [/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :roflmao: Red Star Pub in Redmonton? :wink: Did you golf with Grant Fuhr as well? :laughing:

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“the chief”]
I was a bartender in Edmonton all through the Oilers’ legacy years [/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :roflmao: Red Star Pub in Redmonton? :wink:[/quote]

Uhh, no, there wasn’t any bar by that name.
That I knew of, anyway.

There’s more about him in the Morgue.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=85248&start=170#p1171812

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5356462

One of the toughest men to ever laces em up. even made an all star team one year.

[/quote]

Gone to Goon Heaven, where penalties can be directly exchanged for hookers, blow, and beer.

May he find more peace now than he had on this earth.

You know, the thing about Bobby Probert is that he came into the league as the requisite tough guy for the Wings, but he actually played decent hockey, as well. He was third for scoring on the team in '87-'88 with 62 points. That earned him a spot on the All-Star roster.

But far and wide, what he will be most remembered for is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIgfbfaTtLY

Rest in peace, #24.

He was a great hockey player in many respects. Made the all-star team in '88 with 62 points on the season.

But by far what he’ll be remembered for is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIgfbfaTtLY

Rest in peace, Robert.

That is incredible, citizen k. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that in sport before.

I love the fact that they both drop their sticks before going at each other. Quality.

[quote=“tomthorne”]That is incredible, citizen k. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that in sport before.

I love the fact that they both drop their sticks before going at each other. Quality.[/quote]
Hell! Love the way the refs step back and just let them go for it!

I know, jp. Is that standard practice in ice hockey? Let the guys tire each other out before the ref steps in?

I know nothing about ice hockey but I’m definitely not going to wind up any Canadians in the future. Very tough guys!

What a waste of energy! Surely he could simply swipe the legs out from under the other guy and slash his face open with his skates or stamp on his knuckles? I’ve seen a guy get his throat cut playing hockey on the TV, so it can be done. As it is, they just look like large daft pansies. :laughing:

I’d pay good money to watch you to say that to McSorley to his face. And Probert, if he were still around obviously. That…would be entertainment. :laughing:

More of Bob

youtube.com/watch?v=hSuRKuu_n7A

I’d pay good money to watch you to say that to McSorley to his face. And Probert, if he were still around obviously. That…would be entertainment. :laughing:[/quote]
I’m sure there are several hundred people in that clip shouting precisely that at one or the other of them in that clip. They all seemed pretty OK to me. :laughing:
Its just a show. High farce. LOOK at those guys, for heaven’s sake! They’re animals. If they really wanted to damage each other they could do so easily – two thugs with sharp blades strapped to their feet. Instead, they just ponce about like a couple of pansies.
PANSIES! Bloody PANSIES! :laughing:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“tomthorne”]That is incredible, citizen k. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like that in sport before.

I love the fact that they both drop their sticks before going at each other. Quality.[/quote]
Hell! Love the way the refs step back and just let them go for it![/quote]

Well, they mixed it up on the boards where Probert took a swing at McSorley, so it was pretty obvious that they’d go given their reps as tough guys on those two teams.

Fights in hockey usually follow a certain protocol: Call the guy out, square off, drop the sticks and gloves and you’re good to go. You’re right that the refs usually just stand back and let guys tire themselves out; safer than trying to break up a couple guys with their fists flying. Probert looked good when he got McSorley’s jersey over his head; fighters often try to tie up the other guy’s arms by doing that and get a chance to land a few good ones. McSorley saw it coming and got rid of the jersey quick; good thing for him or he would have been toast. Probert also goes for McSorley’s helmet strap a few times at the beginning; he knows he’ll cut his hand if his punches catch the edge of it.

The thing about that one was the length of it: Clocked in at 93 seconds from the time they drop their gloves to the time the refs come in, that’s pretty epic. It may not be the most exciting punch up, but anyone who’s ever been in one knows how exhausting it is to grapple like that for that long on skates and try to land a few good punches. And Sandman, swiping the legs out is what the pussies do in ice hockey when they are too tired to punch anymore. Besides, as soon as one or both guys hit the ice, the refs step in and end it. :slight_smile: