RIP Visa-Free Runners (2012-2020)

Maybe worthwhile to recheck on this in a few weeks. Seems like BOCA did not really like the extension anyway because in their press release they said people should start packing.

Fify.

1 Like

Seems they have not changed the link, still shows 180 days. I wonder they worry about expiring passports as you need that time (6 mo)left when you on a visa free or short term business visa.

So my landlord called me yesterday because a friend of theirs (an American, like myself) was under the impression that visa-exempt visitors were still capped at 180 days. Has there been full and clear clarification as to whether or not the 30+30 day extensions beyond the 180 day limit apply to visa-exempt status? I’m worried about accidentally overstaying.

Yes

Thank you. I tried explaining to my landlord that the 180 day limit had been temporarily scrapped, or at least gotten around. I think her friend went to NIA and was told that they couldn’t stay more than 180 days and needed to leave the country. The only situation that I could imagine that to be the case for, is if the friend was trying to switch to an actual visa from visa-exempt.

Thanks for the confirmation, the conversation had me wondering if I’m still legal. Arrived February 26 on visa-exempt status.

The 180 limit still exists. The 180 limit is imposed by BOCA (MOFA).

After 180 days, you are no longer BOCA’s problem, it becomes an issue for MOFA NIA (MOI), who has graciously extended a welcoming hand to the people who fit their criteria (i.e. those who did not mess around with BOCA’s limit and overstay while that was the “only” limit) to battle COVID.

This is pretty unprecedented and one of the ways that Taiwan is very progressive on the global stage in its handling of the pandemic.

So it’s not about “getting around” the limit or even “extending it,” it’s “now you are subject to a new/different limit.” That is what is meant by a bit of the confusing language on the official release pages - while they may seem contradictory, they are not, they are just talking about different things.

You can show your landlord the News pages in the post I linked and those surrounding it. At the bottom they have FAQ items which very clearly indicate conditions of stay with unambiguous examples. You line up your dates to the dates of the announcements and if you did not overstay by the time each successive announcement came out, you are granted more time (which for your purposes is an “extension” but by their definition is an “addition”) for as long as they say.

(edited by mod at WWTY’s request)

Thanks for further clarification - I didn’t think that the landlords friend might have arrived earlier than myself, and thus not have qualified. Not really sure. Just wanted a bit of peace of mind regarding my current status, but was too nervous to head down to NIA not knowing my status. 90 days for me came in late May, by which time two extensions had been announced, so I think I’m good

Like the other thread says you can always call them to be sure. They ask your passport number and they tell you your exact date.

You can also go to Immigration and they will update your passport with the latest automatic extension date. That would be the ultimate way to appease anyone.

there’s no reason not to do this really.

BOCA=MOFA. Probably “becomes an issue for NIA/MOI”?

Did they do another extension? If not, there will be a big tranche of people’s visa-free stay expiring in a few weeks.

Yes

2 Likes

The current ones give those who entered just before the deadline until some time in November

Link please.

For foreigners who have legally stayed over 180 days in Taiwan, MOI will provide automatic 30-day visa extensions

Blockquote
Mr. B, a foreign national, entered Taiwan through a visa-waiver program on MAR 17. He was allowed to stay for 90 days, meaning he was supposed to depart by JUN 15. Adding 3 MOFA automatic 30-day extensions (90 days), Mr. B’s total duration of stay reaches 180 days (according to MOFA, foreigners cannot stay for more than 180 days in Taiwan), which qualifies him for the current automatic extension policy by NIA. Factoring in this latest extension, Mr. B’s legal period of stay was going to expire on SEP 13 (180 days), now it is extended to OCT 13 (210 days).

I arrived late January. phoned immigration today. my visa is valid until end of October currently. They said check out NIA mid-september as they will continue to issue extensions around that time going forward

3 Likes

This looks like it will go on forever.
The way it is painted, the virus will never die. Many of the people running things abroad are in no hurry to return things to normal anytime soon.
Taiwan has no options really.
I am off this week, but I would have liked to have seen how this will go while in Taiwan. This is the longest I have ever been on the ground in Taiwan in almost 20 years of being here.

1 Like