RIP Visa-Free Runners (2012-2020)

I had no idea ‘visa-free runners’ began in the year 2012.

3 Likes

I guess the OP did lol. It was a good stint of paying no tax though for him, he shouldn’t complain !

1 Like

2012 was when Taiwan started opening up 90 day travel to most western foreigners.

It was 2008 for where I am from.

Japan?

That was the only place with 90 days in 2008.

The UK.

This news report is a little different to the original post.

1 Like

As for Taiwanese returning from abroad, Chen said the basic concept is that those who are “diagnosed and still in isolation” cannot return to Taiwan and must continue to be treated in that given country.

That’s kind of a silly standard. It disincentivizes Taiwanese citizens abroad from getting tested.

It also doesn’t seem to be the standard that’s actually applied right now. There are multiple cases where the citizens had sought treatment for COVID-19 symptoms before they decided to return home. In one case, the family had contacted the Taiwanese authorities before their infected family member got on a commercial flight. Nobody stopped that. I don’t believe the person had tested positive before, but clearly if your family is calling the Taiwanese government before you get on a plane, they pretty much know.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, let’s try to keep this thread specific to visa-free access (or lack thereof) in Taiwan. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I suddenly understand why the program I signed up for that didn’t respond to me for two weeks, then told me there were 15 spots available, then told me that those 15 seats were actually for already-registered Chinese and I was actually wait-listed, but need to register and pay (a ridiculous amount of non-refundable money) if I want to keep my spot on the waitlist, has now taken to calling me every other hour… Or does this ban allow Chinese people in?

I thought it was NO?
Are they given you some BS?

1 Like

Is it possible to enter on a student visa, find a white collar job and then switch to an employment visa.

At the moment foreign nationals are being refused entry. Exemptions are Alien Resident Certificate holders, personnel on diplomatic or official business, persons who can prove they are fulfilling commercial and contractual obligations, and persons requiring special permission. Student visa holders are not exempt AFAIK.

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5081-c06dc-2.html

Just what the universities need less students.

1 Like

The best would be is to call your local TECO.

It’s May anyways so summer is around the corner. It’ll give them time to regroup.

The overseas students who aren’t in my classes are from China, so it may be worth your while contacting TECO as Marco suggests.

1 Like

Thank you. It’s for a UK family member looking to come over/escape the bleak work landscape.

The person I spoke at NTU/ICLP mentioned to me that I should be able to get a Student Visa to come in, but well, they are not from the immigration department.
Any number to contact?

Call the TECO in the country you reside in.

Just as an info, hopefully it can be useful for the rest.

Whatever NTU has mentioned to me is wrong.
I called the TECO, and there is no stoppage in processing/releasing working visa, however there is no chance, at least for the time being, to get a Student Visa.

Is there any other option?
(I am a foreigner in my country earning way over 160K NTD, about 8 years experience in IT, any chance to get a Gold Card in time maybe?)