Rise of Nones

I believe we are biologically set up to axe such questions. It’s why some people see gawd in all things.

1 Like

Biologicaly evolved to see believe in God.

Thats why athiests have little stress, there is the realisation that one wont know, and they can accept not being all knowing :slight_smile: except Dawkins, he comes across a bit douchy.

Not really. From my understanding the biological needs create needs and desires and hopes and things emotional , and then we put words to it.

I don’t pray to time but I try very hard to understand it as a real slash tangible thing and live my life according to the rules as I also understand them.

This confused me as well. Interested to see his meaning. Certainly the meat in many heads dont actually demand it.

1 Like

I think we all do. We are all made the same way and have remained the same for more then 100,000 years.

Care to explain? Specifically what is meat, what is god and why are we required to demand “it”?

Haha, youre trolling right?

Your brain meat. Go read the book Sapiens. We are the same as we ever were. We believe In things we see and don’t see in order to feel safe.

Right? “None” sounds like you have no purpose in life, and no point in existing you might as well kill yourself. It’s almost as if Nietzsche was right.

1 Like

So youre saying we believe in comforting ourselves, ya? Thats a far stretch to gods :wink: arguably all animals are like that, so the 100,000 year timeline becomes bogus. Might as well say 3 billion years…the organized religion styled god thing is a fairly short lived evolution of a single (?) species. Comfort, control, pain, love, fear, safety etc are all most likely far far older than the current human classifaction and for sure older than any religious type beliefs as we know them today. Guess we cant prove it either way. But there are degrees of liklihood which lean heavily in one direction.

To be fair:
Normal = majority
Educated = taught stuff by institutions. Aka, doesnt mean intelligent.
Rational = science (meaning science will accept god and religion if it can, and it tries hard to)

So, like, ya man :slight_smile:

Modern science is based on the Catholic notion that the universe is rational and hence intelligible. The ancient Greeks didn’t believe matter was knowable.

1 Like

No, many are ‘apatheists’; they don’t beleive, they don’t actively disbelieve, they just don’t find the question meaningful or interesting.

1 Like

I am a None; I have a point in existing (“I like it, for now”). Religious people trying to tell a non-believer what they believe doesn’t work.
BTW, Nietszche didn’t believe there was no purpose in life and no point in existing so you might as well kill yourself; he believed there was no purpose given to you by an outside entity, so you have to find your purpose within. Unless you get your Nietszche from what preachers who never read him make up.

4 Likes

What percentage of the nones is that?

You have a source for that? He said without God, life would be unbearable. Based on polls, he’s about 40% accurate.

1 Like

No one with a mustache like that should be trusted…

1 Like

You jest.

I had some interesting conversations over the years with an American friend of mine in Japan who died of melanoma in 2019. He was an atheist and I’m a theist. When he told me he was dying I told him I’d pray for him. He told me ‘don’t you dare.’ I replied ‘Why would you care? If you’re right you won’t exist.’ He told me not to ever bring up the subject of an afterlife again.

When the end was near he cried when I told him he’d been like a guardian angel to me over the years because of all the help he’d given me. I did pray for him big time after he passed. Even had some masses said for him. He can thank me later.

5 Likes