Riverboarding in Taiwan

Hi people. :slight_smile:

My name is Regan.

I’m new to the forum. I will be visiting Taiwan on Feb 18th 2006 after a riverboarding trip in New Zealand. Riverboarding is like white water rafting, except instead of being in a boat with a group of people, you are on a small surf board by yourself. You can check out my trip website to see: newzealandriverboarding.com/athletes.htm

Anyway, I was thinking of doing some riverboarding near Toroko Gorge. I hear they do alot of white water rafting there. My brother and his girlfriend will be in Taiwan starting March 1st…so I was thinking they could rent a canoe and I’d go in with my board.

Does anyone know a good place to do this near Toroko Gorge?

Thanks alot. :slight_smile:

-Regan

You may be able to do it on Xiuguluan River (start at Ruie Suei about 60 km south of Hualien) or (better yet) on the Laonong River in Kaohsiung County. Start at Baolai.

There are commercial ‘rafting’ outfits at both locations, and I don’t think they are going to be happy to see you out there independently. A friend tried this on the Xiuguluan a few years with an inner tube and got arrested.

I’d suggest starting very early in the morning, preferably on a weekday at either location.

I’m not sure the water levels are high enough at this time of year. Remember, all of Taiwan’s major rivers are dammed.

No way you can do this at Taroko.

Hi Regan
We do a lot of kayaking here in Taiwan (playboating) Taiwan has some nice rivers but nothing as big as you did in New Zealand. Most of the popular rivers in Hualien are class 2 to 3 and pretty boring. There are some bigger rivers in Taroko gorge but im not sure if you are allowed to do them.

The Pingling and 222 river closer to Taipei will be more suitable for what you want to do. This site will give you an idea of what to expect www.club222.com.tw

I live in Illan County on the east coast so give me a call when you get here so we can get together! My number is 0917118441

I’m keen to have a bash at whitewater rafting this holiday. How much coin are you looking at for a day? Is my wife going to want to do it more than once?

I think the Xiuguluan is the only venue left and even then it’s not much unless a typhoon has recently hit. The Laonong route was destroyed by Typhoon Morakot.

Usually 800 or 1000 if I recal. You can just go right to the venue outside at Ruisui and join up.

Its not anything like whitewater rafting you’ve ever done before, that’s for sure. More like rafting in an innertube. You just basically float down a wide, slow river for an hour or two, accompanied by a bunch of screaming twats in fear of their lives. If you “accidentally” fall out of the boat you can have a bit of fun swimming about, but that’s about it. Tame, silly, but that’s what they seem to like.

Actually the operators fucked themselves over by blasting all the rocks and making the course so safe. Now business is down as it’s too tame. Too make up for past sins they are trying to sell all day eco-rafting tours. Yep, the slow pace is not suitable for the adventurer but it is for those looking to get close to nature for a long time. :laughing:

Thing is, they have it very closely sewn up. When the water is good, they won’t go out “because its too dangerous!!!” But they’ll still chase away anybody who wants to have a bit of fun – and it really can sometimes be fun.
Last time I went, it was supposed to be “happening.” God! What a joke. I “overbalanced” and fell out when we came to nice swimming hole, had a lovely swim, walked down the bank to the rest area and got there a full 15 minutes before the boats. Stupid shit.
Its kind of cool, though, to see these buff guys with their “game faces” on, very seriously checking peoples helmet straps and lifejackets and stuff because they’re approaching a “nasty bit.” Only thing is, there 'aint no nasty bit.
A joke.

[quote=“sandman”]Thing is, they have it very closely sewn up. When the water is good, they won’t go out “because its too dangerous!!!” But they’ll still chase away anybody who wants to have a bit of fun – and it really can sometimes be fun.
Last time I went, it was supposed to be “happening.” God! What a joke. I “overbalanced” and fell out when we came to nice swimming hole, had a lovely swim, walked down the bank to the rest area and got there a full 15 minutes before the boats. Stupid shit.[/quote]

You walked to the end faster than the boats? :laughing:

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“sandman”]Thing is, they have it very closely sewn up. When the water is good, they won’t go out “because its too dangerous!!!” But they’ll still chase away anybody who wants to have a bit of fun – and it really can sometimes be fun.
Last time I went, it was supposed to be “happening.” God! What a joke. I “overbalanced” and fell out when we came to nice swimming hole, had a lovely swim, walked down the bank to the rest area and got there a full 15 minutes before the boats. Stupid shit.[/quote]

You walked to the end faster than the boats? :laughing:[/quote]
It was nice. Isaw a big snake and had a wee nap.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“sandman”]Thing is, they have it very closely sewn up. When the water is good, they won’t go out “because its too dangerous!!!” But they’ll still chase away anybody who wants to have a bit of fun – and it really can sometimes be fun.

You walked to the end faster than the boats? :laughing:[/quote]
It was nice. Isaw a big snake and had a wee nap.[/quote]

There’s a fable in there somewhere.