Road Bike Accessories

Boutique du Velo has a website www.biker.com.tw which lists all their stores and products, although if you like something in particular on the website, it’s best to ring the store in advance. I also recommend the Shilin (Tienmu) store - there’s a pretty good one near 101 too. Their stores within department stores aren’t so good in my experience.
Also, why not try the numerous bike stores in Neihu.

Thanks guys. I did look at Velo’s website, but everything is way past my budget. I will still go to the Shilin store and take a look though.

What size are your feet Ranley? I have some Shimano road shoes you can borrow and try for a while if you want. You’ll have to wait until I pop back to Taipei in a couple of weeks though, as they’re here in Tainan with me at the moment.

Ok, so is anyone clear on where I can find Mavic Avenge/Avenir road shoes (in Taipei)? I know that Giant retails them and that the Nanjing store has a few pairs, but not the model I want.

I’m ok with them being at Giant stores, but open to any mom and pop shops that may have them.

I personally would not go near Look or Shimano style pedals, as the necessary cleats on your shoes are absolutely crap to walk in. Speedplays or Eggbeaters for their lightness, ease of clip in any direction, and better walkability are infinitely better. Eggbeaters prefer a two-hole shoe, but there is an adaptor plate for three hole shoes that is far and away the best to walk in as the adaptor plate is a walking friendly platform that surrounds and protects the cleat. PLus the pedal is half the weight of competitors.

Seung-yong keeps staring at me urodacus. Make her stop it.

Too late, I already bought LOOK KEO Classic pedals, thinking ShutUpLegs’ shoes would fit me, but unfortunately after a 20km ride I came to realize they don’t fit me too well. So I’ve had to uninstall the LOOK pedals for the time being.

I’m not really concerned about the comfort of walking though, the on-going advice I keep getting from everyone is that the most important thing is that they fit.

Does that include Shimano SPD pedals?

Shimano SPDs are fine, its the shoe and cleat combo that make it awkward to walk, i.e. Shimano SPD-SL cleats are not designed for shoes for walking, they are for road shoes with a smooth bottom, so the cleats stick out making it awkward to walk. They are also single sided.
SPD style cleats are the MTB style ones, so you buy a mountain bike type shoe with grip/tread on the bottom and the cleat itself is sunk into the sole, so you can walk more easily off the bike as you’re not walking on the cleat. They are also double sided.

Each manufacturer, including speedplay, does both kinds, essentially MTB or road. If you intend on walking a lot then buy MTB style shoes and pedal system or use straps and regular shoes.

Speedplays are the best IMO, and you can walk reasonably well with a set of these which don’t need to come off when its time to clip in…

amazon.com/Keep-Kovers-Speed … B00CXYMAEK

You can get covers for all types of road cleats. Speedplay are expensive so you want to look after them, Shimano are made of cheese so you want to stop them wearing away, etc, etc. But they’re all impractical for anything more than short walk at the cake/coffee stop.
Buy MTB shoes and cleats if you plan on spending any more time walking around.

[quote=“ShutUpLegs”]
Buy MTB shoes and cleats if you plan on spending any more time walking around.[/quote]

I don’t any experience with mtn bike shoes and cleats, but they do look much more comfy to walk in. They would also be more practical since you do much more walking when out on the mtn compared to a road bike.

So, walkability is the last thing I would consider when looking at road bike shoes/cleats.

I wouldn’t so much suggest MTB shoes are comfy as they still have stiff soles, basically a 5km walk is going to be pretty uncomfortable. But as you say, they’re much more practical and you’re much less likely to end up on your arse.
Sidi Eagles saw me through many years of commuting between work, pubs and shopping. Five Ten and 661 do more casual looking shoes that can use MTB cleats.

Anyone have any clue as to when the Garmin Edge 20 or 25 will be available in Taiwan?

Haven’t seen it here yet, but if you want to get it quickly, you can try http://www.evanscycles.com/products/garmin/edge-25-ec116607 (free int’l shipping) for $157.48

Hello cycling community,

I’m in the market for a new helmet for day to day riding. I’ve been borrowing a friend’s Giro Savant the last few months and I’m looking for something different. What do you guys wear and do you have any recommendations?

I have a bigger than normal head size and I don’t do any kind of road racing. My budget around is $150-175. Thanks in advance!

[color=#FF0000]::MOD EDIT:: MERGED with Road Bike Accessories thread[/color]

I previously started this thread regarding some accessories and helmets were covered.

Check this post by Ibis [url]Road Bike Accessories

Like he said, stick to the major brands and you should be ok.

I know your budget is pretty high, but just keep in mind that anything under 1000NT will most likely be uncomfortable and not well ventilated. Stay away from those.

I’ll add and say that your budget will get you more than you asked for and that’s actually great. Your price range will get you something a little aero, light and with good ventilation.

I suggest going to a few shops and trying on helmets. It’s tough to suggest a brand and tell you, this is the go to because most helmets fit differently. There’s a lot of helmets on the market that are very popular like Giro and the Specialized helmets and seem to fit anyone and everyone, but somehow make me look like I have a turtle shell on my head

If you need suggestions, I myself ride with a well-ventilated Giant helmet, I think the model name is “Race”. I was willing to spend 4000NT on a helmet, but the one that fit me turned out to only be 1800NT. I also like ZeroRH+ helmets too, I tried one on and it was 100x more comfortable than my Giant.

I recently got a new Cannondale helmet for pretty cheap, about USD50. fits well but is far and away the LOUDEST helmet i have ever used. steer clear of loud helmets, they are tiring and unsafe (preventing you hearing cars around you).

Kask and Catlike helmets are much quieter. and the very basic Bell is generally good enough for most, except their adjustment and buckle points in the lowest end ones are a bit uncomfortable.

an outer carbon shell is essentially pointless for most mere mortals and not worth the extra cost, the most important safety feature of a helmet is deceleration upon impact, not structural strength. (i.e., the helmet should collapse in a controlled way and thereby increase the time over which your brain come to a stop inside your skull, thus lowering the stresses on the brain and decreasing the extent of brain injury). Once you have hit your helmet in any sort of crash, you must throw it away and replace it with a new one. You should also just replace it on principle every couple of years as the polystyrene can age and become brittle, thus collapsing too fast when you hit.

Loud helmet? That’s a first I’ve ever heard about that. Good to know!

Are there any bike stores where they teach newbies about cycling? A few mom & pop stores back in the states would provide free lessons the 1st of every Saturday for those interested. Anything from breaking down a bike to fixing a flat.

How did you guys learn how to fix a flat the first time? Good old fashion Google/Youtube?

Personal computers were not invented when i first learnt to fix a flat, age 8 or 9.

My dad showed me, i think… but Youtube can be your Dad these days, I suppose.

[quote=“Robotea”]Loud helmet? That’s a first I’ve ever heard about that. Good to know!

Are there any bike stores where they teach newbies about cycling? A few mom & pop stores back in the states would provide free lessons the 1st of every Saturday for those interested. Anything from breaking down a bike to fixing a flat.

How did you guys learn how to fix a flat the first time? Good old fashion Google/Youtube?[/quote]

Global Cycling Network (GCN) Youtube channel taught me almost everything I know about road side maintenance and more.

If you need to see it in person, the shop I frequent, the owner is a super super nice guy and will go through the process very thoroughly. He’s not too far from the riverside exit towards Ming Shen Community. His English is good. too. Let me know if you want to go.