Road biking in and around Taipei - Shoes, FB groups?

There are 4 different routes you can take to ascend Maokong. The easiest, and longest, is from Dongshan high school, or “Maokong via Dongshan HS” on Strava. The next, a bit more challenging one is the “Bridge to bridge, Maokong ITT” route. I would avoid approaching from Arouyang. :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

Ooh yeah. I forgot about that new option.

Do the time restrictions apply to light rail and to TRA as well?

How about HSR? Can a bike go on those?

AFAIK, only the MRT (including the airport MRT) has time restrictions. The TRA is becoming more bike-friendly with dedicated cars for bikes but obviously it’s not as frequent as the MRT. I’ve never brought my bike on the HSR. I believe it’s doable but you’ll have to take the wheels off and bag your bike. @ranlee may know more about it.

3 Likes

Yes, we use this bag…only the front wheel needs to come off.

If you search around they can be found online pretty easily I think. Giant makes a similar one as well I believe.

1 Like

Yes, bike has to be covered/bagged. If it’s a one time thing, you can consider buying a black garbage bag from a convenient store to cover and getting rid of it after the trip.

If you plan on doing this often, you can consider buying this from Giant.

1 Like

Awesome. So, with bike covered, then it can also be taken in MRT during non-bike-allowed hours? (of course, I understand if it is too crowded then it is a non-starter anyway)

Yup, because once a bike is bagged, it’s considered luggage. I’ve seen cyclists outside Technology Building station (which is on the no-bike-allowed brown line) taking apart their bikes and putting them into bike bags.

2 Likes

Yes, folding bikes are an option if riding MRT frequently or unexpectedly on non-bike hours. Fold, bag, go.

I carry a bag on my folding bike always, just in case.

And get really good on the mountains and drop people for fun. It happened to me once. Oh, the embarrassment!

I’m planning to jump out of a car tomorrow, pull my fold up from the back, ride around 30k, then meet them at the other side.

They have business, I have some free time.