Road from Wulai to Yilan (台9甲) closed?

Does anyone know whether this mountain road is been reopened? I know it was temporarily closed in October last year but I’d like to know the conditions now. Is there a specific number I can call to have up to date information on the road conditions?

A friend of mine told me he went from Wulai to Yilan using that road a while back on a scooter. Does someone haev any experience riding a scooter on mountains roads in Taiwan? How safe is that, really? I have a 125cc in good conditions and I’m a fairly good driver (no accidents in all the years I’ve been driving, both in Taiwan and back home in Europe). Also, I would be riding with my gf, so two people on the scooter. In your opinion, is this doable or is it a death wish?

Thank you ~~~~

riding on scoots can be safe as long as you are a safe driver. Having a passenger means ur scoot is not as manueverable (sp) tho. DId u see that clip of the guy with his gal on a scoot coming round the bend and going in front of this big truck? Lucky they survived but almost didnt

Id take the train really.

Reached this road from the Yilan side, there’s a police station and a turnpike. Closed. Some luxgens did pass though, so with the right kind of permit… who knows.

[quote=“tommy525”]riding on scoots can be safe as long as you are a safe driver. Having a passenger means your scoot is not as manueverable (sp) tho. DId u see that clip of the guy with his gal on a scoot coming round the bend and going in front of this big truck? Lucky they survived but almost didnt

Id take the train really.[/quote]

I’ve seen that video. Luckily I’m not the kind of driver who would do something as stupid as overtaking someone on a mountain road just before a blind turn. :no-no:
I’ll try that by myself first and see how it turns out. I know the train is much safer and more comfortable, but I really wantend to check this route out.

I’m not sure what road you are talking about. The 台9甲 is a spur that goes to Wulai and not to Ilan. The 台9 goes from Xindian to Yilan and is an excellent road for cycling or scootering on. Go mid-week though or early weekday mornings as you can get the big bike assholes out on weekends showing off their death wishes.

Oh-the Hwy of Death.
Best to get on it early to avoid the tour buses and dump trucks. Mind the pack of 30 wanna be Valentino Rossis on super bikes in your lane in the blind corners, the lowered rice burners racing each other and of course landslides. You also get a lot of mist up past Ping Lin in the winter so you won’t be able to enjoy the views or really see the blue trucks tailgating you unless they have their lights on-I doubt they will.

Have fun!

Well, on the map I have the 台9甲 goes all the way to Yilan and this was confirmed by my friend (who admittedly drove on it a few years back). It looks like Google Maps does not show part of that road, but you can find it in Openstreetmaps and some older maps. I’m starting to think this means that either the road is closed to normal traffic or that is closed alltogether due to landslides and such (pretty much like to South Cross Island, which also appears on some older maps but it’s interrupted on Google’s maps). The road is also mentioned here http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/台9線 and it’s said to go from Xindian to Yilan.

Thank you all for your good advice. I’ll refrain from driving my scooter on these roads in winter and during weekends. I’ll post here if I find out more about the 台9甲 road.

Well, on the map I have the 台9甲 goes all the way to Yilan and this was confirmed by my friend (who admittedly drove on it a few years back). It looks like Google Maps does not show part of that road, but you can find it in Openstreetmaps and some older maps. [/quote]

Hear me now, believe me later. :wink: The 台9甲 does not go to Ilan. Never did. There is a trail that connects Wulai with Ilan but not a road. Your friend is mistaken or you and he miscommunicated.

thats what iv always thought too.

Well, your friend is confused. From Wulai, the 台9甲 goes as far as the Tonghou river/stream. From there, it’s a hiking/mountain bike path to Yilan. Go ahead and try to ride your scooter on the paths here. The 台9 is a normal road that goes from Xindian through Pinglin to Yilan. You can drive your scooter on it, though in this winter rain, it would be a miserable two hours from Xindian to Jiaoxi.

Well, on the map I have the 台9甲 goes all the way to Yilan and this was confirmed by my friend (who admittedly drove on it a few years back). It looks like Google Maps does not show part of that road, but you can find it in Openstreetmaps and some older maps. [/quote]

Hear me now, believe me later. :wink: The 台9甲 does not go to Yilan. Never did. There is a trail that connects Wulai with Yilan but not a road. Your friend is mistaken or you and he miscommunicated.[/quote]

Reading the Wikipedia entry I posted it looks like that part of the road that leads to Yilan was never completed. :frowning: I sure do believe you now, just I’m curious to understand how my friend went from Wulai to Yilan. Could it possibly be that there is some kind of narrow road reserved to aboriginals and/or the forestry department trucks? I think I’ll go to Wulai with my buddy and call him out on his BS. :smiley:

Hear me now, believe me later. :wink: The 台9甲 does not go to Yilan. Never did. There is a trail that connects Wulai with Yilan but not a road. Your friend is mistaken or you and he miscommunicated.[/quote]

台9甲 is the very wonderful road into Wulai that terminates at Tonghou (stunning scenery, well worth a visit). You can walk to Jiaoxi or hump a mountain bike from the end of the road. However you need a permit to get past the checkpoint and the trail is washed away after every Typhoon. Your friend may be talking about the road that forks off this road and goes through Wulai old street that leads to Neidong Forest Recreation Park and Fushan. On Google maps it just stops in the middle of nowhere but the road signs I’ve seen there indicate it runs to Yilan. :eh:

Edit: sorry Ali beat me to the punch there.

台9甲 is the very wonderful road into Wulai that terminates at Tonghou (stunning scenery, well worth a visit). You can walk to Jiaoxi or hump a mountain bike from the end of the road. However you need a permit to get past the checkpoint and the trail is washed away after every Typhoon. Your friend may be talking about the road that forks off this road and goes through Wulai old street that leads to Neidong Forest Recreation Park and Fushan. On Google maps it just stops in the middle of nowhere but the road signs I’ve seen there indicate it runs to Yilan. :eh:

Edit: sorry Ali beat me to the punch there.[/quote]

Mmmm this is most interesting. A way to both confirm what the fine Forumosans have claimed so far and avoid telling my friend is full of BS :laughing: Do you know how and where to get a permit? I would love to go hikign there in Spring or Summer.

You pick up the permit at the police check on the way up the road.

I guess you’re thinking of the 西坑林道, which runs beside Ayu Stream (阿玉溪) and skirts Ayu Mountain (阿玉山).

It used to be a main route between Wulai and Yilan in the days of Japanese colonial rule. There are still some old road signs along it, but it’s long since become impassable by any means other than bicycle or foot.

I know the first part of the trail like the back of my hand, and have ventured along it for a couple of hours or so in the past, but have never gone all the way. I usually ventured up there with lady friends, and we had to go back when we reached bad landslides which I didn’t want to risk taking them across. I’ve always thought that it would great to do the whole thing with my friend Mucha Man, and hope we’ll be able to do so some day.

Here are some pictures of it.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]I guess you’re thinking of the 西坑林道, which runs beside Ayu Stream (阿玉溪) and skirts Ayu Mountain (阿玉山).

It used to be a main route between Wulai and Yilan in the days of Japanese colonial rule. There are still some old road signs along it, but it’s long since become impassable by any means other than bicycle or foot.

I know the first part of the trail like the back of my hand, and have ventured along it for a couple of hours or so in the past, but have never gone all the way. I usually ventured up there with lady friends, and we had to go back when we reached bad landslides which I didn’t want to risk taking them across. I’ve always thought that it would great to do the whole thing with my friend Muzha Man, and hope we’ll be able to do so some day.

Here are some pictures of it.[/quote]

Your guess is right. :bravo: You guys HAVE TO count me in. I would love to hike from Wulai to Yilan on that forest road. :pray:

I think you have to apply on-line for cars as there’s some sort of a quota running for cars entering the valley…but maybe scooters can just bowl up.[/quote]

Thank you guys.

I think you have to apply on-line for cars as there’s some sort of a quota running for cars entering the valley…but maybe scooters can just bowl up.

Edit: just checked that, all vehicular access is controlled over summer and Fri/Sat/Sun for the rest of the year.

tonho.forest.gov.tw/

I think you have to apply on-line for cars as there’s some sort of a quota running for cars entering the valley…but maybe scooters can just bowl up.

Edit: just checked that, all vehicular access is controlled over summer and Fri/Sat/Sun for the rest of the year.

tonho.forest.gov.tw/[/quote]

Does this mean I’ll be free to pass if I go on a weekday, just like that, without any permit?

tonho.forest.gov.tw/[/quote]

Does this mean I’ll be free to pass if I go on a weekday, just like that, without any permit?[/quote]

From now till May, Monday to Thursday, you can bowl up to the Police Station at the first checkpoint and sign in, yes. There’s a second checkpoint further on where a (likely drunk) policeman will wave you thru. Don’t forget your ARC or passport.