Road Rage

[quote=“Fox”]Actually A.C.,

A truck coming up behind you blasting their horn and flashing their lights is simply following the road rules which state we should blast our horns and flash our lights before overtaking. Not only that we can over take you with a minimum distance of one meter from your rear bumper.

Didn’t you do the written test?[/quote]

:laughing:

Screw painballs, a few .45 rounds through the radiator into the engine block is more like it.[/quote]

lol…ain’t that the truth. Many times, while out with the wife, I will point at some stupid trick pulled by a local driver or 'scooter pilot and comment to her…“Honey…if that sumbitch did that in Texas they’d just pull him out & shoot 'em…no questioned asked.”

Of course this is a slight exaggeration. And she, of course now thinks Texas is still a ‘wild west’ place. But I try to explain that quite the contrary, an armed society is a polite society. Its called being accountable for your actions. A concept that appears to be alien to Taiwanese society.

Hahahhaaaa, hhah, ha… I hope?

This also show how you guys are still immature infants. I drive around 800km per week.

If you were paying more attention to the others driving you would soon learn to recognize what they are about to do and be prepared to let them go by or take early avoiding actions and spare yourself some aggravation.

Sure I still call them dumb slopeheads but I rarely give them the bird…

Soon you’ll go troppo and cause an accident just to show whose boss… where does that lead, nowhere but more frustrations and loss of $$$.

Yes people driving dangeroulsy make me upset but just those you can avoid you should.

Well, you develop that 6th sense early… when I was working in Taipei and commuting, i drove roughly the same every as you every week, and you end up being able to avoid most… Therefore, I hardly ever give out the bird.

At times, no matter how chilled you are, you will still get upset… That happens, and then a few slurs yelled at the other guy usually make me happier.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]This also show how you guys are still immature infants. I drive around 800km per week.

If you were paying more attention to the others driving you would soon learn to recognize what they are about to do and be prepared to let them go by or take early avoiding actions and spare yourself some aggravation.

Soon you’ll go troppo and cause an accident just to show whose boss… where does that lead, nowhere but more frustrations and loss of $$$.

Yes people driving dangeroulsy make me upset but just those you can avoid you should.[/quote]

I consider being a proverbial doormat immature. The fucker tried to RUN ME OFF THE ROAD INTO A GUARDRAIL…can I make it any clearer??? Yes, if someone tries to kill me, I’ll bait the bastard and terminate the discussion very quickly (with as much regard to the health and safety of the bastard who just tried to off me). I give the bird as bait because the idiots in trucks come to it like flies to shit…I do it when I WANT the SOB out of his cab…I am NOT surprised when someone wants to “dance” when I do it, that is the reaction I DEPEND on and, fortunately, I have never been let down (very predictable, these homicidal truck drivers).

[quote=“Mr He”]Well, you develop that 6th sense early… when I was working in Taipei and commuting, i drove roughly the same every as you every week, and you end up being able to avoid most… Therefore, I hardly ever give out the bird.

At times, no matter how chilled you are, you will still get upset… That happens, and then a few slurs yelled at the other guy usually make me happier.[/quote]

Yeah, as I said, it doesn’t happen nearly as often as it used to (dare I say it happens rarely?). I suppose that’s why I did bait the guy, I figure that natural selection has ripped most of the ones from 1990 out of the gene pool…

Screw painballs, a few .45 rounds through the radiator into the engine block is more like it.[/quote]

lol…ain’t that the truth. Many times, while out with the wife, I will point at some stupid trick pulled by a local driver or 'scooter pilot and comment to her…“Honey…if that sumbitch did that in Texas they’d just pull him out & shoot 'em…no questioned asked.”

Of course this is a slight exaggeration. And she, of course now thinks Texas is still a ‘wild west’ place. But I try to explain that quite the contrary, an armed society is a polite society. Its called being accountable for your actions. A concept that appears to be alien to Taiwanese society.[/quote]

A Texan, I’m 1/2 Texan 1/2 mutt…so you are familiar with the phrase heckfire and brimpebbles :laughing:?

[quote=“Satellite TV”]This also show how you guys are still immature infants. I drive around 800km per week.

Yes people driving dangeroulsy make me upset but just those you can avoid you should.[/quote]

I don’t know about this…

I’m willing to bet I’ve put more road miles in Taiwan than just about anyone on this board, and I’ll be damned if I can figure out EVERY nuance of the Taiwanese driver. The 6th sense is a learning curve, and the day you feel you’ve seen it all is the day you’re going to get whacked…

No matter how long you stay here, there are circumstances where it IS unavoidable, and someone trying to shove you into a guard rail needs to be reminded, in some fashion that this is not acceptable.

The first year I was doing crossing guard duty, I had a least a dozen vehicles plow right through while the kids were crossing the street. Had I left that alone, it would still be going on today.

Sure you let the obvious silliness slide, but there are times you have to stand up…

About six months ago, I was taking my mechanic back to the shop and some dipshit ran a red light in front of me, causing me to brake hard enough for the ABS to engage…I gave him the finger and he turned and followed me. I pulled over to the side of the road and waited while Mr. indignation piled out of his car…Wagging his finger in my face, and imitating my gesture, he asked me what it meant…“Are you stupid?” I replied “It means fuck you!” Immature? Maybe, but I was angry that this idiot, like so many others had endangered our lives because he was in a hurry.

The trick is how to use the finger to get your point across without getting yourself killed.

Well, that little bit of ‘politeness’ has been ripe manure for the anti-Bush crowd. Old motormouth Molly has probably sold a few books to the black-beret, latte sucking Volvo driving crowd with her repeating the phrase in her book. The anti-Wall St. crowd lives for pithy catch-phrases. Makes good bumper-snickers and makes 'em feel…‘special.’

Always heard it myself as …Hellfire and Brimstone…as in doom from above raining down.

Yeah, I got called on that a few years back, but I didn’t have the balls you did. I told him it meant “Qu nide” (Get outta here/take off, hoser/scram). He then attempted to attack me with a golf club, smashing the windows of two parked cars in the process and eventually getting himself arrested by the police (I was unscathed). :smiley:

Now my biggest driving problem is my wife giving other drivers the finger. :astonished: She seems very confident of my ability to protect her from irate truck drivers and gangsters. :loco:

so, the traffic lights are out in taoyuan, and the roads are something akin to swimming pools … neither scooter nor motorbike will start, likely flooded to hell … but hey, work is on! (this is payback for those two typhoon days a few years back that we were out in longtan playing soccer)

anyways taking the wife to work in the car, when we approach the first intersection with no traffic lights … WTF! in most ways i can just smile and say things are different here, but after waiting 5 minutes to try and get thru the intersection, i had to do something. horn a honking, brights flashing and waving out the window with both? arms, i think i shocked the oncoming traffic into slowing down just enuf. zoom halfway across … those poor saps are now honking furiously, as i’ve gotten in their way, and of course, the people behind me have piled into the intersection (feel a little like moses at this point).

still have half a road to cross … inching forward, trying to find a hole big enuf across two lanes of people determined not to let anyone thru, because now they realize that they will have to wait for the congo line that is behind me … i’m yelling bloody murder, wife spots a hole with only two scooters to cut off - THRU! let them cars pass!

next intersection … GLORY BE, THE LIGHTS ARE WORKING!!!

of course, the cars completely block the intersection, without room for even ascooter to get thru, so when we have a green, I can only honk furiously and tell them how to increase the population level by themselves @#%^@#%^#^.

this was within the first 500 meters from our door … i’ll go lie down now

Wow. Contrast that with the traffic chaos experienced in Canada during the [url=Blackout in North America: 'Serious looting' in Ottawa? - #13 by maoman American power blackout[/url] of last summer:

Taiwanese drivers treat each other like shit. :raspberry:

Try the road rage test:

queendom.com/tests/minitests … _rage.html

I scored 80

[quote]What does your score mean?
Talk about a recipe for disaster: in one vehicle mix a handful of any combination of the following ingredients; pride, aggression, anger, frustration, impatience, intolerance, and stress. Stir vigorously and you’ve got yourself a healthy helping of road rage. According to this test, you’ve got all the symptoms. You get overly worked up over everyday driving situations, and often resort to nasty tactics to bulldoze your way through traffic - maybe even physically attacking others! One of the problems with this volatile concoction is that most of the people afflicted by it don’t even realize they have a problem. For your own mental well-being and physical health and for the safety of everyone else on the road, you should work on overcoming your highway demons… before they lead to disaster.

[/quote]

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Try the road rage test:

queendom.com/tests/minitests … _rage.html

I scored 80
[/quote]

75 here.

Good going Brian! :astonished: Now I want to see acearle’s results :smiling_imp:

I got a 50… based on experiences in Tai中

Good thing I use public transportation in Taipei.

75 here…

But, I help people out if they are broken down on the road, so that must be good for a 10 point reduction right? :pray:

I only scored 40… I must be too sedate and polite

i got an 80 for taiwan, but i only drive on the sidewalk here, so 10 points off for canada :wink:

still an utter mess on the roads in taoyuan. home now, with jameson’s 12 to comfort me - i needed one of those after this morning’s fiasco …