Road(s) to Yangmingshan?

I went exploring up Yangde Boulevard (if that’s right), the long, steep road that leads up from one of the riverside parks in the direction of Yangmingshan, north of Taipei. The Strava global heat map seemed to suggest it got heavily used by cyclists. I went up part of the way but wound up turning back because there was so much heavy traffic and scooter riders and truck drivers bombing past at what seemed very close range.
I’ve cycled along other fairly busy roads like Xinwu Road on the way to Wulai and not felt nearly so threatened as I did on Yangde. Are there any alternative routes anyone knows of, heading north from Taipei?

Yang De Boulevarde would have to be the very worst choice for cycling. Way too much traffic.

Try XinYi road, a little further west (from TienMu West). Or much further north, leave through Danshui) and catch the 101 etc. or further east, go past National Palace and take the only road going left (about 2 km further up). We call that ride Satellites, as it goes past the radio dish farm up in the mountains. Pretty steep to begin with, though, so if you don’t like 15% grades, look elsewhere.

1 Like

On weekends you can take the MRT to Hongshulin for the Balaka climb and then descend via the Satellites. Balaka is good if you are steep averse as it never gets too nasty. But Satellites and Buffalo Meadows is my preferred method for getting up there. Why Taiwanese insist on riding on roads like Yangde and Beiyi is beyond me. Pure living hell made worse at weekends by the wankers on big bikes and increasingly sports cars buzzing past.

1 Like

These replies don’t surprise me. A better rule of thumb would be to ignore the heavily used Strava routes :wink:.

Down here, the route of choice through the Huadong valley is to bury yourself on the #9 highway, along with the trucks and other folks driving As Fast As Possible from A to B. Those riders miss out on so much peaceful traffic-free cycling. I often wonder if it bothers them, or if they’d appreciate the difference if they switched routes.

The only time I would take Yang De Road up YMS would be at the ass crack of dawn where there’s almost no cars going up or down the road.

If you’re traveling from Taipei and north into Shilin, depending where you are, another route would be to cut into the Dajia Riverside Park and then cross at Dazhi Bridge and make your way up to Zi Qiang Tunnel via Bei An Road. Once you hit the light, that is Zhi Shan Rd and you’re about 200-250m from the National Palace Museum.

Here’s a Strava route I created for a kid that was traveling from NTU main entrance (Gong Guan) to the Palace Museum.
http://www.strava.com/routes/1021723

Another good route that is pretty much built for beginners, is the Jian Nan Road route up to Zhi Nan Road/Palace Museum. Here’s the route that I did a few weeks back. The ride isn’t very scenic, but good for training and getting used to climbs. Also, not many cars on Zhi Nan Road even at peak hours.
http://www.strava.com/activities/196823359

Both of these routes all lead up to the road that urodacus mentioned, the satellites:

Good luck! If OP would like to join the Unofficial Forumosa Cycling Club for a ride on weekends, PM me your LINE and I’ll add you! We welcome all skill levels! This means you too StiffUpperLip! Time to show off that new frame of yours :wink:

Hi,

Just a small remark for everyone here… Yangde boulevard is often used as a descent. It works fine, because then you’re as fast or faster then the scooters/cars. That’s why it’s dark red on Strava. I would never climb it (you would have to be :loco: ), but it’s perfect if you want to get down and I take it quite often.

If you want to start climbing then you could also ride up to Fenguizui. Note that that one will tire you out quite rapidly if you’re not used to climbing yet.

P.S. You’re welcome to add me on Strava if you want to see typical ways to get up YMS from that side (if you don’t try the ride I did last Saturday, 4th of October). Just PM me for my details.

[quote=“Jurriaan”]Hi,

Just a small remark for everyone here… Yangde boulevard is often used as a descent. It works fine, because then you’re as fast or faster then the scooters/cars. That’s why it’s dark red on Strava. I would never climb it (you would have to be :loco: ), but it’s perfect if you want to get down and I take it quite often.

If you want to start climbing then you could also ride up to Fenguizui. Note that that one will tire you out quite rapidly if you’re not used to climbing yet.

P.S. You’re welcome to add me on Strava if you want to see typical ways to get up YMS from that side (if you don’t try the ride I did last Saturday, 4th of October). Just PM me for my details.[/quote]

Good point, its a fast descent, more go down than up. But still lots of muppets go up it. Its like Maokong, only an idiot would go straight up Maokong on the main, direct Zhinan road. There are much nicer options that criss-cross thru betelnut plantations and the like. Yet every weekend you’ll see people laboring up that road on all sorts of two-wheeled monstrosities. Point being until someone tips you off you stick to the obvious roads.

Fengguizui is my nemesis. Stuck on 30.07 on Strava.

Fengguizui is normally quite easy if you don’t overdo it, but I have to agree that it’s a real nasty thing if you want to set a time. I only tried that twice and both times I blew up on the steep bit half-way up.

Fengguizui is normally quite easy if you don’t overdo it, but I have to agree that it’s a real nasty thing if you want to set a time. I only tried that twice and both times I blew up on the steep bit half-way up.[/quote]

You guys are talking about 30minute PRs and I’m stuck here talking about my 54:21 time. I’m looking to shatter it on my next attempt though.

Jurriaan does a great job convincing me that I was only a minute or two behind him when we talk about this ride, but looking at our Strava record, I was a good 20mins behind him :bravo:

If you are looking to bike to Yangming shan, there’s Xiadongshi Industry Rd. (下東勢產業道路) which you can access to from Tianmu. Not a lot of cars there.

If you don’t mind hiking for a portion of the way up, somewhere around Zhongshan North Rd. Section 7 Lane 232.
google.com/maps/place/%E5%A … a0!6m1!1e1

You can also access the later part of it from Xiadongshi Industry Rd.

[quote=“hansioux”]If you are looking to bike to Yangming Shan, there’s Xiadongshi Industry Rd. (下東勢產業道路) which you can access to from Tianmu. Not a lot of cars there.
[/quote]

Are you sure? I’ve never cycled up that road to the cultural university, but the times I’ve driven up and down that road, there’s always plenty of cars and scooters zooming up and down the road. Mostly students on scooters because that’s the more direct route (with no traffic lights) to the university.

Not sure if this is true for 6-7AM in the morning, but I know that road is not an easy climb!

Fengguizui is normally quite easy if you don’t overdo it, but I have to agree that it’s a real nasty thing if you want to set a time. I only tried that twice and both times I blew up on the steep bit half-way up.[/quote]

You guys are talking about 30minute PRs and I’m stuck here talking about my 54:21 time. I’m looking to shatter it on my next attempt though.

Jurriaan does a great job convincing me that I was only a minute or two behind him when we talk about this ride, but looking at our Strava record, I was a good 20mins behind him :bravo:[/quote]

54.21 means your stopping for CPR somewhere in the middle. In my pre-Strava days I always stopped somewhere because the bike computer pauses your time. Strava doesn’t. It’s the middle third where the hill puts the hurt on all right. But I got a 2nd hand Bianchi with super light Cole wheels last weekend so that 30 should fall easy if the rain holds off this long weekend.

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“hansioux”]If you are looking to bike to Yangming Shan, there’s Xiadongshi Industry Rd. (下東勢產業道路) which you can access to from Tianmu. Not a lot of cars there.
[/quote]

Are you sure? I’ve never cycled up that road to the cultural university, but the times I’ve driven up and down that road, there’s always plenty of cars and scooters zooming up and down the road. Mostly students on scooters because that’s the more direct route (with no traffic lights) to the university.

Not sure if this is true for 6-7AM in the morning, but I know that road is not an easy climb![/quote]

I usually walk my way up and down. I’m sure there are cars, but compare to Yangde Rd. it can hardly be considered as traffic.

Where are you guys starting the clock for your ride up Fengguizui?

Should be starting at psycho squirrel bridge, and stopping at the very top (I.e not all the way down to Helens coffee but at the first corner right)

This all sounds fun. I’m going to have to get a bike.

Cue another 20,000-30,000 bike thread.

Sorry for double post

This should be the right one
http://www.strava.com/segments/3660622

Cue another 20,000-30,000 bike thread.[/quote]

Drop a few zeros or something lol. You kidding me?

[quote=“ranlee”]Sorry for double post

This should be the right one
http://www.strava.com/segments/3660622[/quote]

Yup, that’s the route. Check out the mad-looking squirrel in the collection of animal decorations on the bridge at the start. hence “psycho-squirrel bridge”.

ideally you should cross the intersection and finish at the parking area under the little pavilion there, but that’s another 10 seconds added on…

been a while for me, and I never timed that section alone, but i know i averaged about 17-20 km/h up that climb, trying hard to keep it above 15 km/h on the middle part, which was really hard in summer weather.