Road(s) to Yangmingshan?

Bloody hell, that’s a lot of replies since I first posted. Going to take me a little time to work through all the alternatives…I was pretty pleased with myself, by the way, when I managed to cycle up Maokong for the first time a week or so ago.

I did it just this past week as my first “big” climb back and it was not the easiest climb haha.

Cheers.

I did it just this past week as my first “big” climb back and it was not the easiest climb haha.

Cheers.[/quote]

I absolutely love Maokong. My favorite training ride. Don’t know why more people don’t ride it although it is quite a steep ride in parts. The best way to ride it I reckon is from Dongshan High School near to Jingmei. That way you go fully right to left across the top of it. Alternatively here’s an ITT segment I created from the back of Chengda strava.com/segments/7209011. Dodging the day trippers near the gondola is part of the challenge.

Cheers.[/quote]

I absolutely love Maokong. My favorite training ride. Don’t know why more people don’t ride it although it is quite a steep ride in parts. The best way to ride it I reckon is from Dongshan High School near to Jingmei. That way you go fully right to left across the top of it. Alternatively here’s an ITT segment I created from the back of Chengda strava.com/segments/7209011. Dodging the day trippers near the gondola is part of the challenge.[/quote]

I took Zhinan Road up and made a right at the fork and came back down on Zhinan Road. I will try your route next time bear!

I assume not many people ride it because not challenging enough? Highest peak in Maokong is like, halfway up YMS.

Two of my favourite morning rides (when on my way to work at Academia Sinica) were the 北32 and the 北47, over the east, starting near Shiding.

but i love the Maokong road as well, including the massively steep 22% grade at one end (if you go a funny way). Obviously that’s better going downhill, but I have struggled up it a few times.

Cheers.[/quote]

I absolutely love Maokong. My favorite training ride. Don’t know why more people don’t ride it although it is quite a steep ride in parts. The best way to ride it I reckon is from Dongshan High School near to Jingmei. That way you go fully right to left across the top of it. Alternatively here’s an ITT segment I created from the back of Chengda strava.com/segments/7209011. Dodging the day trippers near the gondola is part of the challenge.[/quote]

I took Zhinan Road up and made a right at the fork and came back down on Zhinan Road. I will try your route next time bear!

I assume not many people ride it because not challenging enough? Highest peak in Maokong is like, halfway up YMS.[/quote]

Well maybe just too short. It’s certainly more challenging in terms of gradient than the 北47 road Urodacus mentions above. Mind you my all time fav climb I think would be the 北47-1. Stunningly beautiful at all times of the year. First half is quite tough though.

47-1 is my favorite as well, I actually like that the first part is tough and the top levels off so you can rest and enjoy the view. The back way to Maokong via the turnoff at the gas station off 106 is the best way up to Maokong IMO, you can avoid the station area if you choose going that way (and deal with the short >20% section mentioned earlier). They are all shorter climbs but you can string together a lot of those to make up a pretty nice collection of climbing. I don’t know why others don’t ride them more either, they are plenty steep. I guess its just length, though I see lots of people riding shorter segments on YMS for training rides. The other really nice one is Lion’s Head in Xindian.

If two of you guys suggest it, I can’t say I won’t try it one day.

Would you guys suggest this route? Or would you suggest going back down the same route I came up? My only problem is having to climb back up 109 after doing 北47. Of course, there’s always the option of cruising down ShiDing and riding back north towards Taipei via Chong De Rd that almost parallels the brown MRT line.
http://www.strava.com/routes/1043500

One reason that I did not even think about the mts south Taipei is that I’m so much closer to YMS and riding buddies are even closer than me, so they always choose YMS. Another is, I’m not the biggest fan of riding on Taipei roads. Now don’t get me wrong, I scooter to and from work on a daily basis, but the idea that anything on the road if so bumps into me, I’m pretty much road kill, kind of gets to me. Since there’s a lot of direct riverside and not so heavy car traffic routes towards YMS, I tend to ride that way.

[quote=“ranlee”]If two of you guys suggest it, I can’t say I won’t try it one day.

Would you guys suggest this route? Or would you suggest going back down the same route I came up? My only problem is having to climb back up 109 after doing 北47. Of course, there’s always the option of cruising down ShiDing and riding back north towards Taipei via Chong De Rd that almost parallels the brown MRT line.
http://www.strava.com/routes/1043500

One reason that I did not even think about the mts south Taipei is that I’m so much closer to YMS and riding buddies are even closer than me, so they always choose YMS. Another is, I’m not the biggest fan of riding on Taipei roads. Now don’t get me wrong, I scooter to and from work on a daily basis, but the idea that anything on the road if so bumps into me, I’m pretty much road kill, kind of gets to me. Since there’s a lot of direct riverside and not so heavy car traffic routes towards YMS, I tend to ride that way.[/quote]

I avoid Beiyi at all costs…its hell on tarmac these days. You should go down 47-1 and back the way you came. 109 isn’t that bad is it? Or go up the graveyard and down Academia Sinica road, which I think is what you mean anyway.

Fuder Gong mu (the graveyard) is great way to get back from Shiding/Shenkeng/Stinky Tofu Town, and then across to Academia Sinica and into Nangang, thence along the river to Neihu, or keep left an exit into Liuzhangli (not so good if you don’t like the shitfest that is taipei traffic.).

One good tip for taipei traffic is to keep up with the cars and scooters as much as possible, and use a lot of “The Finger”. not the bird, just a single finger pointing very dramatically at the spot you plan to be in a second, so they have no chance of misunderstanding your intention.

I was never hit in the city in five years of commuting daily along main roads often enough. I was hit three times in the mountains.

Yeah, go up 47-1, short transition on 9 over to 47 and down 47. The 47 downhill is well paved and wide open, little traffic. Then back just go back the way you came. Can go over graveyard or 109 back to Nangang. City riding takes getting used to, but agree with the others in that I don’t find it all that dangerous. Ride aggressively, make your intentions clear, and keep your eyes way up the road to anticipate the craziness that might happen.

this is the 22% grade I mentioned earlier as an entrance into maokong area.

205 Arouyang Industry Road, Taipei, Taipei City, Taiwan

grid 24.97182,121.615047

a great way to start a Maokong ride, not so good to end it. Try it one day! very pretty and quiet.

[quote=“urodacus”]this is the 22% grade I mentioned earlier as an entrance into maokong area.

205 Arouyang Industry Road, Taipei, Taipei City, Taiwan

grid 24.97182,121.615047

a great way to start a Maokong ride, not so good to end it. Try it one day! very pretty and quiet.[/quote]

Have you ever tried it in reverse from the Maokong side, that ending is seriously steep. I think this is it; strava.com/segments/991882
Touches 30% a couple places! :loco:

I actually get scared going down it…

Yes, I’ve gone both ways a few times. Fell over once going up and could not restart!

it is bad news in the wet, of course. and going down needs good brakes.

Ba-bump!

So I’ve been inspired to try another route up or down Yangmingshan, apart from the Balaka and Jinshan routes that I’m used to (I’m coming from Danshui). What is this Satellites of which people speak? I’m guessing it’s this 冷水坑 / Lěngshuǐ Kēng segment, but I’m not sure. It looks like it goes up to the left from 至善路 maybe around halfway between the National Palace Museum and the Fenguizui turn-off?

If that’s so, and if someone hasn’t done that road before, what would people recommend as better (um, combination of prettier / less traffic hassle on a spring weekday): up that way, and down Balaka, or vice versa? A counter-clockwise or a clockwise loop? Non-absurd steepness doesn’t worry me. I’m not proud - I’ve walked up steep stretches before, and I’ll do so again.

1 Like

I love this route going up - there’s some climb when you turn off of Zhishan road, then it flattens out for a little bit, and then some more climbing into YMS.

I’ve only done it fairly early (like 7AM-9AM [EDIT: I should add that this has always been on a weekend]), but I don’t think it’s a super crowded route (with the exception of cherry blossom season maybe?).

If you’ve gone up Balaka a bunch before, I’d suggest going up this route if possible (since usually you can’t really enjoy the scenery as much when descending).

Re starting the climb - you’re correct, it’s the only left you can make on Zhishan road, about halfway between the museum and FGZ. The turn is at the light at the end of the steep section with the shrimp fishing places.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks - now I’ve got a picture in my mind of where it is.

Was planning to do this today but, ugh, smog again.

This used to be my regular training route and my favorite time to ride it was at night past 8PM. I would try to avoid weekday mornings after 8AM as residents in Ping Jing community come down the hill to go to work. Anytime before that and you’re grand.

If you have a cycling computer, be sure to put the route into there. Once you get past the initial switchbacks, you head into Ping Jing Community where there’s a bunch of cross roads that may confuse you.

If your destination is Leng Shui Keng, you can always consider going up the main road, Yang De Blvd, and then turning right when you get to Zhong Shan Hall. It’s a bit of a steep route, but you won’t have too much traffic going that way and it’s a bit more straight forward.

1 Like

I am not sure where to post this.

When going up Balaka it is all fine and dandy, but going down I feel like the roads condition is not the best and often there is dead plant matter on the shoulder of the road and cars coming up and down force you to go there which feels unsafe.

Am I a pussy cat or is Balaka road not a great road to descend on?

I enjoy it, but I don’t think I’ve ever gone up or down it on a weekend. I’ve never had to deal with much traffic on either ascent or descent.

And yeah, the dramatic shifts from light to shadow, with branches and leaves on the road, can add a bit of stress.