Road trip around Hualian: rent a motorbike or take your own?

I’m heading off to Hualian this weekend. Gonna catch the train down there, but I’m not sure if I should drop my bike onto the back of a truck (or train) and use it down there for the road trip, or just rent one when I arrive.

My bike’s a “Majesty”, which is really comfortable for 2 people on a long trip, enough said. The last time I was in Hualian, however, I rented a crapped-out 125cc scooter that barely got me to a nearby destination… the brakes were buggered and the mirrors broken, but it was the best I could get at that moment. By the time I arrived, I felt like I needed back-and-arse-surgery…

So the question is, has anyone been able to find a hassle-free rental place for a large scooter or a motorbike in Hualian?

Cheers,

The Big Babou :wink:

Hi Babou, is it really so necessary to take the train down to Hualian? It would be a nice ride down there by all accounts, especially the bit between Suao and Hualian, which you don’t see from the train because it goes through loads of tunnels.

[quote]My bike’s a “Majesty”, which is really comfortable for 2 people on a long trip, enough said. The last time I was in Hualian, however, I rented a crapped-out 125cc scooter that barely got me to a nearby destination…the brakes were buggered and the mirrors broken, but it was the best I could get at that moment. By the time I arrived, I felt like I needed back-and-arse-surgery…
[/quote]

Read the above and methinks you’ve answered your own question…

Ride to Hualien. Fantastic scenery along the East Coast Highway

I did the train journey + scooter hire about 9 months ago. Very easy.
Nice & relaxing on the train with sea views etc. Hired a scooter at Hualien station (on the right as you come out). There are several places to hire with similar prices (maybe a local can give you better advice on which shop is best). Just do a visual inspection + quick test before you accept the scooter to make sure you have a good one. I had no problems with mine. The rental price didnt seem too bad though I cant remmeber exactly what it was.

6 months ago I drove (by car) to Hualien. Its a bloody long way , the road can get very busy + lots of large cement trucks on the final stretch. I arrived feeling pretty tired. Coming back on a Sunday with thousands of other drivers took 7 hours .
Train. scooter hire is a good option.

Don’t forget to check out this thread on some great places to visit in the Gorge.

forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?t=9730

Airbus let you take bikes on their buses to Hualian. You should check with them first though, I have a feeling they might have a size restriction (or maybe it’s just an ugly bike restiction :wink: ) that means you can’t take Majkesties. Do a search, because I’ve posted their contact info before.

I took my scooter to Taipingshan (via Ilan) that way, and I’m really glad I had mine and not a rental. However you shoudl be able to find a rental shop that has largish 125 or 150 scooters - not Majesty big, but big enough.

Brian