🛣 Roads | Cross Island Highway [No. 8] to Lishan (梨山)

Still closed to regular traffic. Only a few buses a day going up or down between Guguan or Lishan. Besides that pretty much only workers or folks from Lishan can pass. If I remember correctly even then it will only be opened for one way at a time during certain times of the day.

The busses are suspended since December or so. Only lishan residents allowed to drive but some other people seem to manage sometimes to get a permit. It’s really annoying why they cannot open it in good weather for everyone. The road conditions aren’t too bad (or weren’t too bad when I used that road 2 years ago… - got lost in the woods and suddenly that road appeared :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

2 Likes

Residents can apply for visitor permits also. Limited times still apply.

I want to ride my bike up there, its boring having to turn around in Guguan.

1 Like

Do you have a link or information for applying for a visitor permit? Want to go hiking there next week and could book something at lishan for a night if that allows us to drive up in the later afternoon via guguan (alternative is 5:00AM Taichung departure and go via wuling) - oh yeah currently the last 18km to dayuling are closed for cars with less than 3 persons inside on public holidays and Sundays from 6-11:00 in the morning. Not sure if they really enforce it or just post the warning everywhere…

Only second hand. Our friends drove there with a permit they got from their friend who lives there. This was last fall. They had to drive from Guguan at a certain time. Don’t know any of the details besides that.

2 Likes