Roberts nominated for U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice

Instead of replacing retiring Justice Sandra O’Connor, Judge Roberts will now be up for the job of Chief Justice, replacing the late Chief Justice Rehnquist.

You know, I learn something every day. While I knew that the U.S. President selects nominees for the job of justice, I had always thought that the Chief Justice was elected in a similar fashion as the Pope – all of the “cardinals” get together and vote (justices in this case). Not so. The U.S. President also selects that person, who, as it turns out, doesn’t even have to be a judge … or a lawyer.

My interest in this isn’t so much the rule by which one is chosen. My interest is in the feasibility of a new person joining that group and successfully leading it, without any prior supreme court experience (as a justice).

Comments?

[quote=“seeker4”]Instead of replacing retiring Justice Sandra O’Connor, Judge Roberts will now be up for the job of Chief Justice, replacing the late Chief Justice Rehnquist.

You know, I learn something every day. While I knew that the U.S. President selects nominees for the job of justice, I had always thought that the Chief Justice was elected in a similar fashion as the Pope – all of the “cardinals” get together and vote (justices in this case). Not so. The U.S. President also selects that person, who, as it turns out, doesn’t even have to be a judge … or a lawyer.

My interest in this isn’t so much the rule by which one is chosen. My interest is in the feasibility of a new person joining that group and successfully leading it, without any prior supreme court experience (as a justice).

Comments?[/quote]

Sticking with your narrow question regarding Chief Justices being appointed from outside the Court (plenty of time/places to discuss the rest of the Roberts nomination in due course) – this is actually the norm.

In recent years, Rehnquist was the exception in having served on the Court as an Associate Justice prior to taking the reins. The two Chief Justices before him (Warren and Burger) were both appointed straight to the Chief Justice job, and both were widely recognized as very capable leaders (particularly Warren – who’s ability to lead the court has been widely acknowledged by his admirers and critics alike).

Cheers,
Hobbes

Hobbes,

Thanks. I had some knowledge of that situation, but didn’t know the details. What I’m quite interested in is how well those non-prior justices were accepted within the court as leader of it initially. Maybe be info that’s difficult to come by, but it just seems to me to be a situation prime for tension.

Seeker4

Regardless of whether one suspects he will be another conservative who will push the Court towards restricting abortion rights, privacy rights, and other rights of ordinary citizens, homosexuals and criminal defendants, while expanding the rights of Christians to push their views in schools and other public places, one can’t deny that he’s an extremely bright guy with a lot of good experience.

nytimes.com/packages/html/po … EGACY.html

Whether the other Supes concur with his postions or not (if he becomes Chief Justice), I’m sure they will recognize that he’s a smart guy.

Oops, that link didn’t work right. Click on the above, then click on Roberts name on the left, then click on “A Legal Life” for a brief chrono of his accomplishments. Incidentally, the above link also gives you a terrific interactive graphic summarizing Rehnquist’s reign of terror on the Court.

check out this rather telling examination of Rehnquist:

news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/200509 … ost/006844

Dershowitz isn’t afraid of backlash from the right, it’s nice to see something not sugar-coated.