ROC Drivers license

I just got my license (car) and it’s valid for one year only, the validity time of my ARC. How can some of you get a 6 year license?

I got mine in Shu Lin, Taipei County.

Spacky,

I was wondering if you could recommend the driving school you were at in Taichung. I’m in need of a drivers’ license and am in Taichung. So i think maybe some driving lessons are in order… god feel like i’m 16 all over again…

thanks in advance.

chris

"So perhaps a German (only driving with int. lic. permitted) could move to France (driving w/ int. lic. and changing of local french into local taiwanese license permitted), apply for (perhaps renew) a locally issued driving license and passport there, come to Taiwan with those two documents and get a local license… "

In fact if you are from any conutry within the EU… you can exchange driving licenses.

I think the thing to do if you are within the EU is transfer your license to a France license and then transfer to a Taiwan license

Don’t let the letters EU fool you. It’s still all one big bureaucratic nightmare. As Confuse-us say: “It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a German to get a French driving licence.” Or something.

Christopher in taichung - wait while I rummage thru my stuff to find the name card. It’s in Dali (Ta-li) I’ll give u that much - but I’ve seen plenty of other places advertised around town that may be better and/or closer to where u live.
Watch this space. :slight_smile:

Ok, Chris - here it is:

Spack, do not want to be rude but you are crazy. The test here is so simple if someone already knows how to drive. The online sample is good enough to answer over 90% of the questions as the number available in English is limited.

I took my test early last year without any local instruction whatsoever having just done the online job and sailed through first time with 100% marks. It is that simple.

The one question i had not seen before could be answered like most of them by applying some common sense.

:shock: Really! You only took the online sample test and you passed?! THERE IS HOPE AFTERALL!!

I am starting to think the test forms are like bingo boards…

Why don’t they hire somebody to translate the regulations manual? People are always saying how the Taiwanese government is rich, right (and the thing with the WTO)? Or is it the same logic as putting a picture of their handicap toilet on the website (I really don’t get why they did that…but its the effort that counts right?)?

Well, I m gonna go ahead and take the test tomorrow. No offense Speck…its just that I am driving already…so might as well give it a try. Heck, I might mysteriously pass it just like my SATs! ha!ha!

thanks spack

Each to his own. In defence of my intellectual capacity and driving skills :unamused: , I felt that I didn’t want to leave anything to chance!
I figured it would be a hassle to DIY, fail and then have to go thru it all again. If u can do it first time with minimum prep like Traveller, great! If not, you may feel pretty stupid for trying in the first place.

I get really nervous on any kind of test so I needed plenty of practice on the course beforehand, even though I could already drive well.

Last words of advice:
1.Watch that reverse S; she’s a snakey one. You only get one shot at it so don’t screw up!
2.Watch out for those facts and figures on the ‘written’ test, too. It is NOT always easy to guesstimate the right answer.

he passed the written test in flying colors, it was the reverse S that got him three times. so practice it if you can.
and good luck. :smiley:

I think you’ll find that Spack is absolutely on the money, you will find it very difficult to pass the test in Taichung if you only do the online sample tests. I practiced at a driving school and took 6 tests at a time from the CD rom.
Do you know all the laws regarding taxi drivers, truck drivers, company vehicles ?- No - that’s what I thought.
Have any idea about measurements and penalties? No - thought not too.
Is multi choice for you just checking every (C) box - Yes - well your chances are not so good.
Maybe you are taking the test in Taipei - in that case - no need to study and why not have a few beers before the driving test. By the way when roadside parking in the test if you don’t let the official test guy into the car and just drive off - YOU Fail, regardless of your driving ability.

Conclusion, do some research on what the test is like in the location where you live and prepare accordingly. If you need to go to a school you can go on a Saturday Afternoon for 2 or 3 hours at a time, that’s what I did.

If you think it’s that easy - good luck - and if you need a shoulder to cry on - there’s always Mommy. By the way I got a 97.5% on the written test and 100% on the driving test, something that would have been impossible in Taichung if I hadn’t gone to a driving school.

I have a 6 year driving license.

It’s quite easy. Contact Richard, he charges NT$2,100 for the service. Moreover, you have to fine a administrative appeal, within 30 days of getting your 1(2-3) year one. It takes some time, though. Figure 3-5 months.

I know this works in Taipei. I would imagine that it works equally well in other places as well.

Richard went to Taipei recently to talk with officials about the possibility of foreigners getting a 6-year driving license, didnt he?
Did anyone go with Richard and how did it go?

Holger, that sounds expensive, if you have a three year ARC then there is only one renewla needed whichg costs 200NT, why pay 2100NT just for getting a six year licence. Other than proving a point it does not make sense.

As far as the driving test is concerned then i took mine in Taipei. I did have some 20 years driving experience in many different countries and maybe that helped, i can’t comment about Taichung but here it is very very simple, the only remotely difficult part is the reverse S, but anyone driving for a reasonable period of time should be able to do that as long as they do not freeze.

If Taichung is that difficult then spend a day in Taipei and do it here.

well, I am back with some of the latest info…

I took the test today. The writing test asked the exact same questions as the samples online. I guess they make it very easy in Taipei for some reason.

I didn’t know if you plan to take the writing test, you have to take the driving on the same day too…since I haven’t practiced for that yet…so…opps!

Oh well, live and learn…[/quote]

The driving part of the test is exactly the same in Taichung. It’s a piece of cake except for the reverse S.

The written test in Taichung is probably the same too or very similar - it uses lots of questions from the 500 questions on the CDROM (I haven’t seen the online version), but I still found it quite tricky. That’s just me though :slight_smile:

How was it for you, Roamy (written and driving)?

Well, the driving part, I learned, sure is worth it just to take the class…messed up in the reverse S.

From your description, I guess the writing test varies with region. I took the online test probably just 10 times to make sure I get all the questions there is. That sure is easier then studying 500 questions! I got 100…I had all the same questions as the ones online :smiley:

That danged reverse S! You’ll get it next time.
Were there lots of people watching? That can be very disconcerting.
“Add petrol” as they say in Chinese :smiley: .

Roamer - have u passed yet?
Bring us up to date.