ROC Military conscription while in the US

Hi, i recently got word from my uncle that i got a service letter from the Roc requiring me to serve in taiwan. This is an issue because im not even in taiwan.
They claimed my ROC passport was used to enter the country, which is true because my cousins passport and my passport got mixed up and he used mine to enter taiwan.
He is isnt of draft age yet, so they cant really do much. I really wish not to rat him out, however i dont want to serve in the ROC.
The reason i am against serving is because i am currently a E-1 in the US army reserves(fresh out of basic).
My grandmothers health is unstable currently and i really wish to be there when she passes. Therefore I
need to solve this minor, potentially major dilemma of mine.

Any thoughts of suggestions will be much appreciated.

PS. Is there any way of transferring armed forces
from US to ROC? I know they arent officially
related, but im keeping an optimistic view.

[quote=“MRsunshineguy9”]Hi, i recently got word from my uncle that i got a service letter from the Roc requiring me to serve in Taiwan. This is an issue because im not even in Taiwan.
They claimed my ROC passport was used to enter the country, which is true because my cousins passport and my passport got mixed up and he used mine to enter Taiwan.
He is isnt of draft age yet, so they cant really do much. I really wish not to rat him out, however I don’t want to serve in the ROC.
The reason I am against serving is because I am currently a E-1 in the US army reserves(fresh out of basic).
My grandmothers health is unstable currently and i really wish to be there when she passes. Therefore I
need to solve this minor, potentially major dilemma of mine.

Any thoughts of suggestions will be much appreciated.

PS. Is there any way of transferring armed forces
from US to ROC? I know they arent officially
related, but im keeping an optimistic view.[/quote]

Nobody will buy your “Oh the passports got mixed up” excuse by the way. And let me explain to you why: no way any check-in agent in the US would have issued a boarding pass if the names in the eticket record and passport do not match.

Besides, it is not really an issue. Just stay out of Taiwan until you are beyond the draft age, which is 36.

No. you can’t apply to transfer from the US military to the ROC military. That’s daft. You might apply for a discharge from the US Army reserves, though, and then go serve in Taiwan.

If you can prove what happened, then it might be possible to make an appeal to some bigwig, but since you write that you’re not willing to “rat out” your brother (why? did he do it on purpose?), I guess that leaves you with nothing to tell them.

So unless you’re willing to shoot yourself in the foot, I guess you’re going to have to reconcile yourself to never seeing your grandmother again.

Basically he used my passport for a silly reason. He told me he used my passport because “i dont want the customs trouble”. Do i believe him, no. However i would still like to make it back there. Do you know if they could excuse my service until my 6 years(US contract) is up?

That sounds like it ought to be possible (applying for a delay in reporting for conscription on the grounds that you are currently serving in a foreign military), but I don’t have personal knowledge of how to do it.

thanks ZLA!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Using another person’s passport because he wants to avoid trouble in customs?

Sorry to say it so bluntly, but with your careless attitude you deserve any bruise you might get when you get hit by the law. You should really safeguard your rights more.

From a Taiwan government website:

http://www.taiwan.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=27218&ctNode=1967&mp=1001

It seems like your situation is not exactly covered. You should approach the military yourself and explain your situation.