ROC nationality status for child of HK Chinese national

Hello,

I was just curious to expand my options and see if there is a path to a ROC passport of some sort.

Basic info:

Mother: Chinese descent, Born in HK, HKSAR passport holder, considered PRC National in view of PRC but PRC claims she has settled abroad by earning Permanent Residency status in Singapore – From what I understand, ROC considers her to be a ROC national too?

Father: Singaporean of Chinese descent, solely Singapore Citizen

Me: Born in USA, US citizen, residency in Singapore, not a PRC national as mother settled abroad (Article 5 of PRC Nationality Law)

From what I understand, ROC considers my mother to be a ROC National and under Article 3 I would be a ROC National as I am a child of a ROC National at the time of my birth.

Has anybody had any experience dealing with this type of situation and if so what is the application process?

Thank you

You need a ROC passport of your lineal ascendant to get your ROC passport, so short answer may be you cannot be regarded as a ROC national.

Though, HK residents can be treated as non-foreigners.

Did you already read these laws?

Laws and Regulations Regarding Hong Kong & Macao Affairs

Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area

香港澳門居民進入臺灣地區及居留定居許可辦法

https://www.taiwanembassy.org/usnyc/post/9866.html

and these instructions?

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5385/7244/7250/7296/

There might be a possibility.

護照申請及核發辦法

第 25 條
旅居海外之香港居民在中華民國八十六年七月一日前或澳門居民在中華民國八十八年十二月二十日前,未曾持有我國護照者及其在國外所生子女,符合前條第一項各款要件者,得經駐外館處轉請主管機關依本條例第六條但書規定許後,持用普通護照。前項申請人首次申請普通護照者,應填妥普通護照申請書,並檢附護照用照片二張及下列文件:
一、香港或澳門護照或當地永久或長期居留資格證件正本及影本各一份,正本驗畢後退還。
二、其他相關證明文件。前項普通護照之效期為五年以下,護照註記頁應加蓋特字戳記。

符合前條第一項各款要件者

第 24 條
在海外之大陸地區人民,符合下列各款情形者,得經駐外館處轉請主管機L關依本條例第六條但書規定許可後,持用普通護照:
一、已取得當地永久居留權;當地無永久居留制度,須取得長期居留資且能繼續延長留。
二、旅居海外四年以上;或已在取得該居留權國家連續住滿二年以上;或為臺灣地區人民之配偶,結婚已滿二年或已生有子女者。
三、經中央相關主管機關核准,代表我國參加國際比賽或活動;或在專業領域具有特殊技術或專長,或對我國有特殊貢獻,經中央相關主管機關推薦。

關依本條例第六條但書規定許可後

第 6 條
護照之適用對象為具有我國國籍者。但具有大陸地區人民、香港居民、澳門居民身分者在其身分轉換為臺灣地區人民前,非經主管機關許可,不適用之。

Thanks for your reply.

From what I see, it seems that there are certain provisions for HK residents to get ROC NWOHR Passport as in the last post.

It seems like this clause of the criteria means that there has to be an exceptional ability or talent that is approved by the government. Does not seem easy to achieve in practice.

Could I possibly apply for a passport and see if I get rejected?

I guess it is important to add on that I am not a HK resident by ROC definition (The term “Hong Kong Residents” as used herein refers to persons who qualify for permanent residency in Hong Kong and who do not hold a travel document other than a British (Overseas) passport or a Hong Kong passport.) - [Laws and Regulations Regarding Hong Kong & Macao Affairs]

I guess the most significant proof of nationality would be my mother’s HKSAR passport/Birth Certificate, then my birth certificate showing our relationship. From what I see, I could apply for Overseas Compatriot Identification Certificate if I were a Permanent Resident of Singapore (but I am not). So, is there any other way to have a ROC issued proof of nationality?