[ROC Passport] Can 23 yo TWese Woman Get a Travel Visa to US

…if she has just graduated college and not started working yet, doesn’t have significant savings, and is not enrolled in graduate school?

Thanks.

Certainly possible, but hard to say.

She’ll get three chances at interviews with different people, so if the first person just didn’t like her, she still has a shot.

I would NOT tell them she has a boyfriend. The number one thing they’re looking for is some young girl who wants to go to the US and find a husband (you’d think they’d have better number on things to look for…).

It would help if she brought documentation on things that would help prove she’s interested in coming back: property, a car, acceptance letter to uni here, letter of employment for after she gets back… anything that shows to them that she will be coming back. (Although often they do not even check documents people bring).

The number one thing is to NOT lie. If they catch her in a lie (they’re good at that), she will NOT be allowed to enter for any reason. I’d just be honest, and have her tell them she just graduated, wants to start her career in Taiwan, but wants to see the states before she starts working (and loses any time to travel).

Good luck.

I would be 100% honest with immigration. I would tell them you are her boyfriend and offer to sign any guarantees of return they require. It is all about credibility. Yours and hers.

Is that enormous fee for an immigrant visa ? Surely a tourist visa isn’t that much ? It should be entirely possible to take your gf with you to the States if immigration is convinced she won’t dump you the minute you both get there in order to stay in the States. You may know she won’t, but they will need convincing.

Would it hurt that she has an American boyfriend if the American boyfriend can prove he lives in Taiwan and has employment and living quarters etc to come back to? Also, does the boyfriend thing hurt since clearly they have the legal option to get married anytime if they really wanted to get her into the US on a visa. Seems like they’d be more worried about a girl without a boyfriend? Just wondering

By the way, I had a friend once who just wanted to come to the US for a few months of tourist travel and fun and got a visa no problem.

You can always list her as, “commodities in transit”. As long as they don’t open the box, she should be okay.

This gives the implication that they are living together, and that perhaps they are engaging in certain activities which EXCEED THE NORMAL LIMITS OF “PURE FRIENDSHIP” . . . . .

The statement that they have “the legal option to get married” appears to confirm my assumptions above . . . . . . and perhaps indicates that they will soon have “the legal necessity to get married.”

The officers at AIT may be shocked by this, since they have always learned that Taiwan is a CONSERVATIVE (non-sovereign) COUNTRY.

Thank you for the responses. The two people ivolved are still alive and well, but the issue is now moot.

Cheers,

T.

Right. Well, I hear Europe is nice this time of the year.

What about through a travel agency? Tour group?

I’ve had girls that age from Taiwan visit me. Seems like they didn’t go through too much trouble.

I do not understand why a lot of us want to go and live in the States though we’re not so sure if we can live a better life there than we are now living here in Taiwan. In my opinion we should not give too much value in going to the States if there is no guarantee we would be living a better life there and if we would be treated equally by the locals in the States. Remember there is always discrimination for Asians in the US. And please stop believing too much on the “boy friend” thing. Face the reality, most of them sleep around cause they think Asians are easy to get or fooled rather. Are you aware that most of them that come to Asia are unwanted by the local girls in the States? Why should we settle for the rejected men?
Just a suggestion, ask any foreigner here in Taiwan who is not from the States. He will surely tell you why the WORLD HATES the Americans. There are better places to go and to live in. US is NOT the only country in this world.

BOW!

Wow, did you go to Taipei American School?

[quote=“Maxime”]I do not understand why a lot of us want to go and live in the States though we’re not so sure if we can live a better life there than we are now living here in Taiwan. In my opinion we should not give too much value in going to the States if there is no guarantee we would be living a better life there and if we would be treated equally by the locals in the States. Remember there is always discrimination for Asians in the US. And please stop believing too much on the “boy friend” thing. Face the reality, most of them sleep around cause they think Asians are easy to get or fooled rather. Are you aware that most of them that come to Asia are unwanted by the local girls in the States? Why should we settle for the rejected men?
Just a suggestion, ask any foreigner here in Taiwan who is not from the States. He will surely tell you why the WORLD HATES the Americans. There are better places to go and to live in. US is NOT the only country in this world.

BOW![/quote]

I thought this was a Legal Issues forum, not a “I hate foreign men” forum.

You’re so way off base that I’m not going to muddy my shoes getting into the pit of rancor with you.

Not foreign men, Tomas, American men. So I guess I’m OK. Whew… oops, lunchtime. I think I’ll pop out to the dumpling stall and get a quick shag with my tangbao.

[quote=“sandman”]Not foreign men, Tomas, American men.[/quote]Aren’t all foriengers American ?

US Visa fees were increased to US$100 or local approximate about a year ago to cover the cost of doing background checks, etc. Immigrant Visa fees are currently US$335. You may also have noticed that Taiwan sets their visa fees reciprocally, so ROC visas for US citizens are now also around NT3000+. Landing visas are the exception and are still free. Fortunately US still hands out 5-year multi-use visas to most applicants, so your NT3600 goes a long way.

:slight_smile:Am thia gril 23 years old and and going to go there in tainan. I also have american boyfriend he 's nice and friendly. Why so many people alway think in the bad way for them ? What do you think about american guy? Are they good or bad? I heard that if they love someone they will give allthey heart is it ture?

Oy

Troll?

US Visa fees were increased to US$100 or local approximate about a year ago to cover the cost of doing background checks, etc. Immigrant Visa fees are currently US$335. You may also have noticed that Taiwan sets their visa fees reciprocally, so ROC visas for US citizens are now also around NT3000+. Landing visas are the exception and are still free. Fortunately US still hands out 5-year multi-use visas to most applicants, so your NT3600 goes a long way.[/quote]

The visas are normally valid for 10 years, my family in Hong Kong all have 10 year U.S. visas in their Hong Kong SAR passports, I have a 10 year visa as well, but at the time I applied the rules were generally really relaxed, and was only about US$60.

[quote=“hexuan”]I would be 100% honest with immigration. I would tell them you are her boyfriend and offer to sign any guarantees of return they require. It is all about credibility. Yours and hers.

They won’t give a crap about those so called guarantees… people offer them all the time… and it’s not legally binding on finding an illegal immigrant

There is a lot of commentary on the website about Taiwan actually being an overseas territory of the USA . . . . . perhaps you should get an immigration lawyer and explore that angle !!!

You would certainly save some visa fees !!!