[ROC Passport] Legally Disposing of Taiwan Passport/Cit

I needed help in renouncing my Taiwan Citizenship and legally disposing of my Taiwanese passport.

I am naturalized US citizen with a Taiwanese Passport.
I asked TECO in Boston how I can renounce my citizenship and return my passport and they told me that is cannot be done unless I fulfill the military requirement. Is this true?

I am doing this because I have no need for the citizenship and also because of work related security-clearance.

Thanks in advance.

According to congresswoman Bi-khim Hsaio’s website, unless you have already served in the military, you can not simply renounce your citizenship. Any renounciation must be approved by the dept. of internal affairs. But of course, there are exceptions:

[quote=“scchu”][/quote]

unfortunately, i cannot read chinese and the site does not have a english version of that text. can you give me a quick translation of what that says?

Also, is there any legal way to get rid of my passport without having to get one of those expections to “renounce your citizenship”?

thanks

Quick and dirty literal translation:
Males above the age of 15 and have not yet served military duty may not renounce citizenship (of Taiwan). Holders of Taiwan passport, even without residence in Taiwan, born outside of Taiwan or the father had immigrated to another country with proof of PR, all must complete military service in accordance to the law.

Exception may be made for males who departed Taiwan and turned 18 before December 31st of the same year and obtained citizenship of another nation before December 31st of the same cycle. (So if you left Taiwan before 18, in which case if the birthday was before 12/31, and before you turned 19 of the same birthday cycle, if you have obtained citizenship of another country, you are the exception)… Confusing, this one.

In conclusion, any (male) citizen of Taiwan, even if born in another nation, or departed Taiwan before age 15, returned to Taiwan after age 19 or completed scholarly activities (schooling) but have not yet obtained another citizenship, or students with proof of study, all must perform military service upon return to Taiwan in accordance to the law.

Wheew… hope this helps…

Included in Forumosa.com Knowledge Base

so from the help i received from scchu, i have emailed TECO in atlanta, nyc, chicago explaining my situation and asking for help. i will post when i get more updates.

I have heard of these kinds of complaints for years and years.

Don’t expect any help from the overseas offices.

[quote=“Hartzell”]I have heard of these kinds of complaints for years and years.
Don’t expect any help from the overseas offices.[/quote]
Quite the contrary, folks. I have called up the Atlanta branch as well as the NYC branch a few times myself regarding my own status. You can’t ask for friendlier officials like the ones I have spoken to. The head of the Atlanta branch even called me himself to make sure his subordinates got the situation correct and assured me that’s whatever the policy was (that I was asking info for). He gave me his direct line and welcomed me to call back to discuss in depth anytime. But of course I never did.

Quite the opposite, the American embassy workers I have encountered had been jack asses and a$$holes who will just put you back at the end of the line if they don’t want to deal with you. Just my brief experience in two different US consulars/embassies.

In regard to policies on military service requirements of foreign-born Taiwanese passport holders, those are just policies they have to enforce. Some of them may be rediculous, but what does one to do when you are given the job to enfoce it (or in the case of those consulars, break the bad news). I respect them for telling me all they know though.

Ha, ha, ha. Do you think they are telling you the truth???

Ask around a few more departments and see how many “versions” you get of the correct instructions and correct procedures.

I stand behind what I said up above.

Richard is right. For instance, I once asked how to get passports for my two daughters at the Taipei office in Copenhagen. They told me that since I was a foreigner, my daughters were foreigners as well and couldn’t get Taiwan passports etc. That is wrong information.

My wife is Taiwanese, and according to the Nationality Law of Feb. 9, 2000, any children who were not 20 years of age on that date (of promulgation), or who were born after that date, and if one parent is a Taiwan citizen, then the children fully qualify for Taiwan citizenship.

[quote=“Hartzell”]Ha, ha, ha. Do you think they are telling you the truth???

Ask around a few more departments and see how many “versions” you get of the correct instructions and correct procedures.

I stand behind what I said up above.[/quote]

sometimes… the people there are difficult. they always ask me if I speak Chinese and seem to treat me differently when I request to speak English…

I called the NY branch and the first thing the lady says is “We will send you some information.” … but they would not give me the details… when I told them I lived in MA… they said "Call the Boston branch… "

I have not had great luck with the lady at the Boston branch… i once had to mail my US passport to them to get a visa because they would not give me one when I walked in… they said I should use a Taiwanese passport to enter Taiwan…

Neck, please keep us updated.

I may need to renouce my citizenship / get rid of the passport as well (for a security clearance).

I hear you cannot get it back once you renouce it. I guess it makes sense – you cannot just get rid of a nationality and then expect that country to take you back (unlike an abused girlfriend – jusk kidding).

Ha, ha, ha. There is no law in Taiwan which says that you have to use a Taiwan passport (even in the case you are a dual national and have more than one passport) to enter Taiwan!!!

That is completely wrong information!!!

I know… from discussions with cousins in my situations… we came up with the idea that the government tells you to use your passport so they can have a record of you…

Funny thing is… I presented a passport and asked for a visa, and she gave me the run around…

True, you don’t have to use the Taiwan passport. But in the security clearance process they look at your intentions. Just the fact that I recently renewed my ROC passport shows I exercised the rights of ROC citizenship. I want to show some positive action on my part that I am giving up the exercise of those rights.

Neck, I suppose you could just cut up your ROC passport in your security interview…

[quote=“BAH”]

Neck, I suppose you could just cut up your ROC passport in your security interview…[/quote]

i didn’t think of the cutting up thing during my interview… too late… shucks…

check this. a site listing the decisions of clearances that were appealed… kinda surprised me that they make this information public.

defenselink.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

This I don’t dispute. It really depends on the person you talk to and maybe also their mood? In my dealsings with the offices here in the States, they all have been nice and provided accurate information (I never believe in what I am told from those agencies; so I always do additional research to make sure). I guess you have had bad luck in getting the right info from the right people with the right knowledge, maybe?

On a different note, getting run-arounds from governmetn agencies is so typical of any government. Thailand, Taiwan, US… etc. All of them are the same. Heck, even companies send you calling different departments if you have disputes. I suppose the key is to talk to the right person.

Neck, I will make a call for you if I get a chance to today. Maybe my luck will run out this time. :wink:

cool. thanks… i’ll prolly try callin the boston branch today or tomorrow when i’m not at work… i’m kinda afraid the lady there will remember me… heh heh…

Neck, I called the office here in NY. And I managed to get the following facts:

1. One does not need to serve the military to renounce citizenship of Taiwan IF his passport was stamped “Overseas Chinese” (hua chiao).
  2. If your passport does not have that (since you are also a US citizen, hence is qualified), you can convert your status to be a hua chiao. Therefore making the last point valid.
  3. The above two conditions are valid only if your current passport does not have a stamp of “Has not yet served military duty” (

back to this topic.

the DSS (security clearance people) have finally got back to me and told me to get rid of my passport, and citizenship.

I went to TECO boston and they gave me a list of 9 things, that i need to provide in order to turn in my passport and renounce citizenship. some things include of local, state tax forms… police reports… imigration papers… proof of foreign citizenship…etc… i’m wondering if these records still exist since i was only 8 when i left…

those things might be hard for me to come up with… especially when i have to have someone from taiwan get them for me…

to make a long story short… i need to get a statement/reciept for DSS from TECO sayin that i’ve done this…

does anybody know more about this procedure. i’m hoping that TECO will give me written confirmation when i turn these things in as opposed to waiting till it’s completely approved, like a couple of months later.

Neck.