Rock Climbing...Dan Osman style

One of Dan Osman’s more amazing climbs caught on tape.

video is fine but site has some sexy adds that might not be work safe: filecabi.net/host/file/400in4/wmv

Amazing…truly.

…here is his life story: outside.away.com/magazine/0499/9904terminal.html

That is amazing. Thanks for the link. He’s like an animal.

On the other hand, I had a roommate in college – 19 years old – who went climbing alone without a rope one day, fell 60 meters and died. The coroner came to the door and notified me; I had to call the guy’s parents and inform them. Despite his mom’s wishes, there was no open casket at the funeral because his face was so badly smashed in.

So, that guy’s feat is impressive, but one can do that kind of thing for only so long before the odds finally catch up with you (as the guy in the video also found out). And in response to those who would say, “yea, but in his 35 years he lived more than any of us,” I say “bullshit.” What he did was exciting and impressive, but it was also stupid. what do you make of these excerpts from the article:

[quote]just as Osman was preparing for another jump, he got a cell phone call from his 12-year-old daughter, Emma, who lives in Gardnerville with her mother. She was crying, worried about him. . .

“By dying,” Osman said, "I would be letting everybody down

Jesus! I thought I used to climb pretty well when I was younger. Who am I kidding! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

I’m sure you climbed well. As they say in that piece, it’s the letting go of the rock that proved problematic, but also rather noteworthy.

HG

Letting go of the rock isn’t problematic; it’s smashing into the rocks below that’s a problem.