Rock Star: INXS

Just started watching this on Starworld last night. Yes another Mark Burnett production guaranteed to keep you glued.
For those that haven’t seen it, it is a reality TV show similar to American Idol, except that INXS is auditioning 15 singers over 3 months, eliminating one each week until they have a new lead singer.
They all live in a big mansion and drink etc (AKA big brother style)

Now, after last night’s show, one thing that struck me was that these contestants are all GOOD.
So, this got me thinking. I’ve watched a couple of American Idol series and find it to be entertaining a little but often ear splitting bloody awful, even right up til the end. Even the winners sometimes sound VERY average when you consider that this has been a US wide search involving hundreds of thousands if not millions of hopefuls.

I am wondering. Why are the finalists of American Idol so shitty when these Rock Star people are so good? Do AI hold back the decent people so it’s better for average joe watching at home to debate and then the ratings are better?
These singers on Rock Star are obviously experienced, but surely AI would find these sorts of people too?

Might have something to do with the fact AI is all about manufacturing another moneyspinning pop tart whereas INXS is an established rock band. Which would also result in serious people signing up to join INXS while serious, genuine singers are unlikely to want the taint of American/Australian/NZ/Pop Idol on their portfolio.

Another episode on tonight at 8:50pm - 22:00pm

In AI, aren’t they all robots? I think that would have a lot to do with it.

Rock n roll sure ain’t what it used to be (with the one delightful exception of The White Stripes of course).

Why on earth do people like this? INXS was never a good band, and had a 1 ok hit in the crap decade for music we call the 80’s.

music is all about personal opinion and taste. There are millions of people that disagree with you.

What’s with the slagging of the 80s?? Ok so there was a lot of crap, not to mention baaad fashions, but there was loads of good stuff fighting against the crap too! To start with there was the influence of Joy Division that later formed New Order, and Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, The Cure, U2 in their Joshua Tree years, the whole Madchester scene, and the beginnings of Nirvana at the back end. And oh yeah, the lyrical geniuses that were the Pixies!!! :notworthy:

[quote=“curlyclaire”]

What’s with the slagging of the 80s?? Ok so there was a lot of crap, not to mention baaad fashions, but there was loads of good stuff fighting against the crap too! To start with there was the influence of Joy Division that later formed New Order, and Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, The Cure, U2 in their Joshua Tree years, the whole Madchester scene, and the beginnings of Nirvana at the back end. And oh yeah, the lyrical geniuses that were the Pixies!!! :notworthy:[/quote] You had me nodding my head up to the last sentence. I need someone to explain the appeal of the pixies and bjork. Ah got it, the lyrics. But explain away regardless. I like Frank Black’s solo stuff but don’t get the appeal of the pixies.

i’ve watched this show but am increasingly turned off by the egotism of all concerned…last night watching dave navarro go on about his white boa in the hall of fame was pathetic…the performers frankly carry on like kindergarten kids. ok they’re pretty good but where is the humility? and who the fuck wants to be lectured by some aussie rock hasbeens…“you can be sexy without being revealing” says one of the farris’ …oh what insight…

What’s with the slagging of the 80s??[/quote]
Because a lot of folk were little kids at the time, just getting their feet wet with the world of music. So they would hear the stuff on TV – Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls – all that crap – without having any realization that there was also good music being made.
At least, that’s my take on it.
The same will be said 20 years from now when today’s little kids grow up and remember the 90s as being “nothing but Britney, Limp Bizkit, and all that crap.”
You should pity such people and be gentle with them. Its not their fault they were so indiscriminate with their taste in their youth. :wink:

Absolutely dead on. I was about to puke about five minutes into that drivel.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“curlyclaire”]
What’s with the slagging of the 80s??[/quote]

Because a lot of folk were little kids at the time, just getting their feet wet with the world of music. So they would hear the stuff on TV – Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls – all that crap – without having any realization that there was also good music being made.
At least, that’s my take on it.
[/quote]

I think I might have a different take, given that I was born in 83! :wink:

Ahhh, they grow up so fast these days! :wink: So, what do you think about Britney and Limp Biskit? :wink:

I haven’t seen anything other than a commercial for the show, and read some stuff on the internet, but this seems like utter shite and pretty much the worst side of commercial, mainstream “rock” (read pop)… wonder what Kurt cobain would think of this concept? No wonder billy corgan said that rock is dead. Off that point, is there anyone out there who isn’t obssessed with reality TV these days?[/i]

Billy Corgan reformed the Smashing Pumpkins recently to further confirm his point I would imagine…

Even more tragic than Michael Hutchences’ death is that they are trying to recruit a new singer through reality TV… Sad, indeed.
Jon Stevens was supposed to have headed up for them, he was an ok choice. Terence Trent Darby…??? Nahhh!
Maybe the Legendary Stardust Cowboy should try out.!

yeah I think INXS have missed the boat on this one.

There were legendary in their time (like them or not) and Michael was more of a component then they give him credit for. Michael was INXS.

I think they would have been better off reforming as another band and moving on. I think using reality TV to try and get back into the scene is a bit cheesy and a sell out. I am really not sure how serious they are about wanting a lead singer in reality, or if it’s all a sham to sell the process of selecting one like this to make a few bucks.

what will be next? Rock Star: Queen? Some bands just die when the singer does.

[quote=“Matchstick_man”] [quote=“curlyclaire”]

What’s with the slagging of the 80s?? Ok so there was a lot of crap, not to mention baaad fashions, but there was loads of good stuff fighting against the crap too! To start with there was the influence of Joy Division that later formed New Order, and Echo and the Bunnymen, The Smiths, The Cure, U2 in their Joshua Tree years, the whole Madchester scene, and the beginnings of Nirvana at the back end. And oh yeah, the lyrical geniuses that were the Pixies!!! :notworthy:[/quote] You had me nodding my head up to the last sentence. I need someone to explain the appeal of the pixies and bjork. Ah got it, the lyrics. But explain away regardless. I like Frank Black’s solo stuff but don’t get the appeal of the pixies.[/quote]

I’m the opposite of you Matchstick man. I la la love the Pixies. Frank Black’s solo stuff just seems to be missing something. However, I do enjoy Kim Deal’s later bands, i.e. the Amps and the Breeders. As for Bjork, I liked her much better in the Sugarcubes.

Back on topic: We just got Star World in my corner of Taipei! I just found it today. I’m so happy!! I’m watching INXS right now. To me, it is all that it attempts to be…entertaining. The singers have great voices and they are enjoyable to listen to. And if I get a few glimpses of Dave Navarro in the process I’m happy! :sunglasses:

[quote=“Truant”]yeah I think INXS have missed the boat on this one.

There were legendary in their time (like them or not) and Michael was more of a component then they give him credit for. Michael was INXS.

I think they would have been better off reforming as another band and moving on. I think using reality TV to try and get back into the scene is a bit cheesy and a sell out. I am really not sure how serious they are about wanting a lead singer in reality, or if it’s all a sham to sell the process of selecting one like this to make a few bucks.

what will be next? Rock Star: Queen? Some bands just die when the singer does.[/quote]

I, for one, would love to see Queen restored. Watching 4 months of singers of the calibre INXS is auditioning, trying to spring the vocal gymnastics of Freddie Mercury would be delightful. As Truant noted in the OP, these candidates have talent. It is far more interesting to viddy than that Simon Cowell dreck.

And using this format as the audition is brilliant. As one who has been on a few auditions, I can absolutely gauranfargintee you that I would totally dig this “format” if it were in my former field.

While some of the feedback given is inane at times, some of it is incredibly helpful to “the rockers”. Feedback from someone whom has achieved the success of INXS is invaluable to these guys. And the workshops they get to participate in each week is worth its weight in gold.

And I agree with Navarro et al when they say this house band rocks. Layla was magnificent. But so are all the songs. That said, when Marty unplugged this week, he really nailed it. I guess they are all gonna go archipelagio next week.

What a trip down memory lane Wednesday and Thursdays have become.

Toe predicts:

As good as Jordis, JD and Deanna are (all Canucks you’ll note), the nod is going to Mig. He’s an Aussie, he’s got the “look” that seems to match the INXS fading-rockstar-using-fashion-to-sell-sex-appeal thing. And he does rock hard enough. Marty would be my choice, but it’s going to Mig. Ty has the pipes but he’s too musical theatre and I am soooooooo glad they finally got rid of Brandon. I was really getting sick of all his “good ole boy” woohoooing. The chick from Chi-town is next.

I really hope Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Entwhistle do pick up the ball and look for the next Freddie. That would be sooooo sweet. And I’d totally go to a Queen show if it came anywhere close to Taiwan. It’d be my 4th.

That reminds me…

EDIT: For Season 3 they are just gonna put a bottle of vodka on the stage and have auditions to replace Warren Zevon. :smiling_imp:

Hey, WZ is my all time fav songwright. He’d appreciate the blackness of my humour, if not it’s spelling. :sunglasses: