Rock Star: INXS

[quote=“Erhu”]
Back on topic: We just got Star World in my corner of Taipei! I just found it today. I’m so happy!! I’m watching INXS right now. To me, it is all that it attempts to be…entertaining. The singers have great voices and they are enjoyable to listen to. And if I get a few glimpses of Dave Navarro in the process I’m happy! :sunglasses:[/quote]

Exactly, it doesn’t attempt to be anything more than it’s meant to be - pure, mindless entertainment. And the excuse to look at some hot chicas and hunks as well. I think it’s fun and they can all sing, except Brandon, he was hopeless from day 1. ROCK on! :bravo:

[quote=“Toe Save”]…I am soooooooo glad they finally got rid of Brandon. I was really getting sick of all his “good ole boy” woohoooing. [/quote]I agree, I honestly thought would have gone a lot earlier. He’s okay, but I found every song he sung ended up sounding Country (thought the same thing about one of the women who went a while back). I think that guy with really blonde hair may win it (forget his name, obviously). He comes across quite powerfully without ever really trying. Ty is awesome, but in the end he wouldn’t be right for INXS. Mig is pretty good too, but he comes across as kind of shy. I’m not sure if they’ll take that into account.

The blond guy is Marty. His unplugged version of The Killers tune was the best so far. Are you sure Mig is shy? He was strutting his stuff all over the stage last week. He may be shy IRL, but he has great presence when performing.

I think it should be Marty too, but it’ll be Mig.

Besides, what a great rocker name: Mig!

Here is who is remaining:

I thought Ty’s “No woman no cry” was the performance of the show so far.
JD was pretty talented early on, but I’m not so sure now.

Marty has got the ‘look’ so if he can sing, he’s got the best chance IMHO.

rockstar.msn.com/

[EDIT: in response to Toe Save]

That’s true… Mig is an awesome name, and when he gets on stage he really knows how to work it.

And, really, his… well, maybe not shyness, let’s call it modesty… It may work in his favor. Allow people relate to him more.

[quote=“gaboman”][EDIT: in response to Toe Save]

That’s true… Mig is an awesome name, and when he gets on stage he really knows how to work it.

And, really, his… well, maybe not shyness, let’s call it modesty… It may work in his favor. Allow people relate to him more.[/quote]

I think I know what you mean. Witness the small “d” drama where the journalist cornered him into backstabbing JD. He got drunk later and fessed up. I can’t help but think that compared to other reality shows (did u see The Apprentice last week??? :astonished: ), these guys show some class. It’s evident in the support they show for each other. It’s refreshing and it’s Rock’n’Roll.

But more than Mig’s heartfelt confession, did ya catch JD’s tattoo dogma? "Sometimes we’re just BEING HUMAN, but we are always a HUMAN BEING?

Cheese! :loco:

But hey…ROCK ON>>>>>>

Must have missed all that, what happened? I kind of drift in and out of the show sometimes and I often miss the first part of the Wednesday episode… I did see the ad where, I think it was JD, said to someone that they offended them. :s

I agree that these guys actually do form a bond, unlike the folks from Big Brother, The Apprentice… umm… Survi…ver… (yeah, I don’t watch much reality TV). Last week there was one dude who helped another contestant with her arrangement… I mean, he was probably after something in return, being a guy and all, but that was still pretty nice.

Err… The Apprentice… well, only watched the first episode this season and was happy to see the street smarts guys win. The book smarts folks were a lot of talk, a lot of theory discussion, but no real abilities or creativity. Embarassing, really. Funny thing is, the arrogance they displayed reminded me of about half the people I met in Uni.

Their workshop, you may recall, was on how to handle the press. One J’ist cornered Mig into giving up whom he thought was the most negative influence in the mansion. Instead of deflecting the question, he admitted that JD was hard to handle.

The saavy J’ist, smelling blood, tells JD that “everyone” sez he is the least liked person. JD is hurt and brings it up in the Workshop Post Mortem, cut to Mig - guilt-cam on full zoom.

Later that night, JD mixes the Margs (see hisadoighah recipe) and gets everyone snorkered (see hisadoighah recipe) during which, Mig confesses to JD that he was the culprit.

JD uses his ink to accept the apology. You see, on his left forearm he has (running the length, or should that be armdth, of his forearm) he has the word “BEING”. His right arm has the word “HUMAN”

After Mig finishes his apology, JD places his left arm above his right arm and says, “Sometimes we are just BEING HUMAN”, then places his fists together and continues, “But we are always a HUMAN BEING!”

JD also was the one who helped one of the girls to rearrange REM’s Losing My Religion. Had her go archepelagio for the opening and INXS picked up on it. She also thanked him publically for it. Classy. and Canadian. :wink:

This after JD just gave up in the song choice session, willing to accept whatever no one else wanted. He is frustrated, talented and misunderstood. He has the tortured artist thing down pat, and if I was INXS, I’d be giving JD serious consideration. Even though that Tat philosophy was cheesy to the max, it was kinda cool too. What made us buy the vinyl, or at least for me, was the rebel in the rock. JD is the rebel of the rockers. And he is talented. He has been rearranging everything that’s come his way and putting his own stamp on it.

Marty is supremely talented, but is also a really nice guy. Tom Petty talent but no edge.

Mig has the pipes, the sexuality (we are talking about a Michael Hutchence replacement here, and look at how INXS are costuming themselves) and is the patriotic choice, so the smart money is on him.

The most Talented is Marty. I’ve been singing his song all week.

The most Rocker is JD, no doubt. If I was to bet with my heart, he’d be the guy. But Vegas has all kindsa deals for guys that bet with their hearts.

It’s be really cool if it was one of the ladies, but I honestly gotta go with an all guy top 3.

Like I said, that was JD. He got the band’s attention. More important than anything else at this stage. And he got some respect back from the group. The were pissed at him for something he said earlier on, so he’s had to fight uphill the whole time.

As for the overall environment of support, I am loathe to say it here, so I’ll attempt rhetoric: Could it be that there is more of an International flavour to the contestants? I mean, can anyone recall a non-American in any of the big reality shows? I seem to remember the very first guy “voted off the island” was a Canuck, but since then…? More avid viewers than Ican answer this more accurately. It’s just that something Porcelain Princess said recently, about Canadians (specifically, Hollywood successes) having no inherent Canadian-ness, has been on my mind. What is our National identity as celebrity? Could it be kindness? Is what made MJF, John Candy and Matthew Perry such successes is that they are nice guys and play that to the hilt? One thing we tend to laugh at (there are 13 in total) is that which we do not understand. Could it be that Candians that gain success in American main-stream celebrity do so because they can play “the nice guy” so well, something American mainstream media may not fully understand, thus, the success of Canadians as mostly, comedians.

And now…Rockers.

Well, the street smarts got their asses kicked this time and the claws really came out. If it was broadcast on Taiwan Ho, you’d have to google “flibbidyflab” to find it. Nasty shit. Like a live IP Forum.

I do have an early prediction in that too. I like Kendra. But I’ll get into it more if someone starts a thread about it.

I can get with what you said. I didn’t see the whole “how to handle journalists” part though :frowning: I think JD may have been the one who told INXS after his performance that, unlike the other contestants, he didn’t learn INXS songs because he had to, he learnt them because he loves them (paraphrasing). May have been him, that was one of the first weeks I watched the show so I wasn’t paying much attention.

As for the environment thing… umm… yeah, Canadians rock, I guess.

(another offtopic note about The Apprentice) … NBC’s Apprentice site is really good; the episodes are recapped in fairly good detail. Unfortunately, when I went to the site, it also announced who won this time around :unamused: But checking last week’s episode recap now, anyway.

[quote=“Toe Save”]
As for the overall environment of support, I am loathe to say it here, so I’ll attempt rhetoric: Could it be that there is more of an International flavour to the contestants? I mean, can anyone recall a non-American in any of the big reality shows? [/quote]

2 points I would like to digress here:

1. As far as I recall, there are contestants from only 3 countries. I wouldn’t call Americans, Canadians and the one Filipino/Aussie currently living in the UK as representative of being an international show.

2. What do you mean by ‘big reality shows’? anyway? I guess you are refering to the American ones. And here is my point: Why would an American reality TV show have non-Americans on it? I watched Big Brother in The Netherlands and it had Dutch people in it and not people from other countries. I have also seen Robinson (Danish version of Survivor - in fact I think the Survivor format was copied from them) and it only had Danish contestants. Likewise, there are Indonesian Idol, Malaysian Idol, PopStar (UK) and why would I want to watch an American or Canadian competing in those? :wink:

I just watched this week’s show and OMG I have the biggest crush on Marty. I don’t normally like blonde guys, but he’s way sexy. I loved his version of Britney Spear’s “Hit me baby one more time”.

For some reason all the blonde women sound the same to me. Anyone else think so? Don’t get me wrong, they have fabulous, powerful voices, but they’re just too similar. I think Jessica should be the next to go.

Predictions: I’m with Toe Save. Mig’s gonna take home the trophy.

Yeah Marty is my pick. I think Mig is too much of a Metrosexual to be a rock star long term, although I have noticed INXS think the fellow Aussie is great, and that might count for a lot soon.
Marty really did a outstanding job of singing a crap song. He must be high on the list if they are pushing his boundaries like that. I think if INXS wanted to, they could put Marty through a mill and he would come out eerily like Michael Hutchence belting out the old stuff.

I don’t want to sound sexist, but none of the women impress me as a potential lead singer for INXS. They are all pretty unmemorable for some reason. I found most of their songs irritating last night.

JD might have cooked his goose. He is a very talented guy, but now that the rest of the contestants pretty much hate his guts I think it came thru last night that he has lost a bit of his nerve. His cockiness is starting to fail to pull him through it. He is young.

Ty has got a fantastic voice, but I think the lack of the ‘X factor’ will see him gone soon.

Another thing that strikes me about Marty apart from his talent and image, is that he really seems to be a genuine nice guy in that he is supportive to all the other contestants during their performances. I think his and Mig’s attitude are the best of them all.

Once again, Marty proved he is the man for the job.

I just started watching the show, and it’s okay. I’m suprised that Ty didn’t get the boot tonight. I don’t think that he lacks the X factor, as that he says what he ‘thinks’ what they want to hear, and he’s a bit of a asskisser,IMO.

Marty, I think his answers are honest and in line with what they want. I think they want him.

Pretty hot week for this show. Other than Jordis’ butchering of Dream On, the first night was a show I’d pay to see. Deanna’s original song kicked ass. That is so impressive given the time constraints and the fact that she has nevr tried her hand at writing. Sure Ty helped her, and I was really worried about that after that piece of shite he co-wrote last week.

This is truly an amazing study of human nature. Previous Mark Burnett shows always show the darkest side of folks. I just love how rock’n’roll is showcasing such an intense environment of competition while balancing that with respect and support. I’ve never seen anything like it. I am hooked.

And is the competition ever tough now. These guys all can rock. Like one of the INXS members said last night, the 7 best possible choices are before them now.

I guess what I am most impressed with is the bottom 3’s ability to pull off INXS back catalogue numbers at the seeming drop of a hat. There must be more to this, but I am afraid to research anything about the show. I am not sure if we are a year behind the times, as usual, and going to any website might spoil it for me. I didn’t even come to this thread until today for fear you guys might spoil last night.

So, does anyone have any insight as to how they can pull off INXS songs so easily? Have they had a chance to rehearse a selection and the band picks one of that selection? Or is it a true test to see how dedicated they are. It seems rehearsed to me. Anyone know different?

And phwoar…That Brooke Burke…yummy…

I was wondering that myself. They seem to launch into the back catalogue like they have just rehearsed them and many of the songs are quite short arrangements, so just listening to the CD wouldn’t be good enough.

I think that either they know earlier in the day who is in the bottom 3 and what song they need to practice, or they don’t know who, but they know which song/arrangement, so they all practice. e.g. ‘what you need’ last night was really short compared to any other version I have heard previously.

Toe, on Starworld, the show we watch at night is a delayed telecast, but the live version is shown earlier in the morning. I do believe it is in sync with the US here.

What I would have done, were I the producer or in the band, would be to have given the rockers a playlist of say 5 songs. They must learn and rehearse them in case they are brought out on the carpet. Then the band can pick any of that 5 to stick them with.

I am sorriest that the worst guy in the competition was given my personal fav INXS tune to sing. Remember that guy who sang Suicide Blonde. Damn he destroyed it.

Guess I gotta get another pic of Brooke up there. :fume:

Another excellent show tonight. I think TY is gonna get the boot tmr, but it really is a tough one.

I reckon JD has got a Bowie thing going on…but he’s toast.

Brooke Burke is hot. Almost North American, non-exotic too hot. INXS is a pansy band. An old pansy band at that. I have not seen this show at all but I’m not too proud to say that I would definitely watch it. Thing is is that they are a pansy band. I’m not against women singers either but that whole deal is just a little strange. I just can’t picture it. But who else but a pansy band would do a TV show like this. Pansy band.