Romanization issues float to the surface... again

I have just been to Shanghai and various other cities in Jiangsu province. That was why I haven’t been posting.

Recently on the Internet I met a guy who is trying to design a new pinyinisation system,
for would you believe the Taiwanese govt. I have introduced him to this board and maybe you will meet up with this person soon.

Here is his web page: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~kaschen/tw/zhuyin2.html

I still have not heard much more about the Tongyong Pinyin system by the Taiwanese govt. Is it ready to be implemented?

The pinyinisation for Cantonese is poorly developed even though there is a Yale system and is the second most popular dialect in China. I know many foreigners who learn Cantonese using the Yale romanization but it is still not as “accurate” a pinyinisation system as Hanyu Pinyin for Mandarin.

Part of the reason is because Cantonese have more undulating tones ( total of 9 in all versus only 4 for Mandarin) and Yale has simplified this to seven in their system. The range of the basic “syllables” is also a lot greater than Mandarin which also increases the liklihood of errors because you could also mispronouced the word as in English.

All the streets in Shanghai, Nanjing and various other Chinese cities now adopt the Hanyu Pinyin system of romanisation. It is a system which even taxi drivers have learn to use…

I definitely think Hanyu Pinyin will conquer the world of pinyinisation.

I also found some evidence of bopomofo being used in Shanghai as well. There is also a large contingent of Taiwanese business people in Shanghai.

Regarding the number of tones in Cantonese, I understand the existence of 9 as opposed to 7 tones is hotly debated. Like maybe the difference between tone 6 and tone 9 (I just made those numbers up) is really only detectable amongst old fishermen from Lantau Island or whatever. A similar situation exists with the number of tones in Taiwanese. BTW ask most cantonese speakers how many tones in their language and they can’t tell you.

Bri

quote[quote] Regarding the number of tones in Cantonese, I understand the existence of 9 as opposed to 7 tones is hotly debated. Like maybe the difference between tone 6 and tone 9 (I just made those numbers up) is really only detectable amongst old fishermen from Lantau Island or whatever. (Bu Lai En) [/quote]

Hotly debated?
Amongst whom would that be?

AAh…The people who “invent” or try to improve on these pinyin systems of course!

It is the year 2020:
" Wouldn’t it be nice to have a pinyin system after me? "
(Bu En Lai is heard saying to his friends at age 60 just before retirement and after long service in Taiwan as Education Minister.)
“I have seen the awful TongYong come and go, people have long discarded zhuyinfuhao for the Hanyu Pinyin and Taiwanese as a dialect is no longer spoken amongst the younger generation"

It is the year 2060:
Some New Zealanders in China are overheard saying;

“Hey I use the BuYinLai system you know, its better than the ChouEnLai system from China, I mean the mainland pobomofo ?..”

“And BuEnLai’s daughter has actually written a dictionary using this BuYinLai system. It’s better for foreigners you know because it only uses two tones as opposed to the normal four. The third is optional whilst the fourth is neutral”

Getting back to present time:
According to one book I glanced at quickly about Cantonese this “redundancy ” you refer to: 7 instead of 9 tones; this is most likely the first two tones which are supposedly interchangeable (aka High Level and High Falling ), and also the middle crossed tones (aka Middle Rising and Low Rising) because the latter are “parallel ” but different pitched.

If you are only familiar with the Hanyu Pinyin for Mandarin, my own explaination is: think of it as the hanyu pinyin first tone (Yin Ping) but which varies in absolute pitch with each individual speaker’s voice. Since Female voices are higher pitched generally than males, Females would presumably prefer the higher pitch (High Level) tone. This leaves the High Falling to the male. I think it is sort of like accommodating for sex differences in the speakers; this is my guess.

But the book disagrees and says these differences are most pronounced between Cantonese spoken in Guangdong (High Falling) and that spoken in Hong Kong which supposedly uses the flat High Level tone.

Having been here and Guangdong before, several times,I disagree with the book. I personally cannot detect any such local differences between these two places. One reason may be that Guangdong residents already watch enough TV from Hong Kong such that any differences if any are already much ‘ironed out’by now. In the past maybe without so much TV and frequent travel between these two cities, these so called regional differences could have remained intact.

Question: Do you know why in Mandarin the 2nd tone is called the “Male Flat” (Yang Ping)?

Answer: That’s because most males can’t do it a SECOND time!!! ha ha ha! (JOKE)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva">quote:</font><HR> 

A similar situation exists with the number of tones in Taiwanese.
(Bu Lai En)

My Taiwanese is baby speak. Can’t comment on Taiwanese. Can’t even order food in Taiwanese. I just know there is too many variations in FuJian Hua to be worth bothering.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva">quote:</font><HR>

BTW ask most Cantonese speakers how many tones are in their language and they can’t tell you. (Bu Lai En)

With this last sentence you have " hit the nail on the head " so to speak. It is possible to speak/even sing Cantonese beautifully without ever understanding the number of tones that each dialect is suppose to operate under.

On a recent TV documentary I have actually seen beijingers able to speak Cantonese almost flawlessly and with less accent than those “waiguoren” formally educated at a university using the Yale Pinyinisation system.

I deliberately picked beijingers because northerners are supposed to have immense problems with this southern dialect and vice versa. I have also seen a tour guide in Guilin (in GuangXi) do this and Cantonese is not his mother tongue.

Another prime example is Wang Fei who is a very famous singer from Beijing as you know. She can sing in Cantonese like a “native” and beat the Hong Kong Canto-pop stars at their own game. When asked to speak everyday sentences, she can only manage a few phrases.
I am not sure which is harder singing or speaking.

This begs the question what is a pinyin system for except as an aid for the “waiguoren” like us to learn Chinese in his own somewhat peculiar way. But the importance of pinyin is sometimes too over rated.

I’ve been trying out this forum’s writing tool. It is really good I think better than some other forums. Apart from the pictures you can Edit until you are personally satisfied.

Must end here. Today is National Day in China. (1st October 2001) as well as Mid-Autumn Festival together.( Double Hapiness day)

Happy National Day or Mid-Autumn Festival to all…

I forgot this is a Taiwanese website. I can get into trouble for wishing National Day!!!

[img]images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] 

Well in that case >>> eek!

Cranky Laowai,

I finally had time to visit your website: Romanization.com

I was going to write you an email a few days ago when this forum got crumpled. Then my PC got an attack of the W32.Nimda virus! Oh what a mess! I decided to kill the problems first before doing anymore emailing. One thing led to another and I thought might as well write it here.

Anyway my very first impression of your site was it is really colourful! I like the bright bold colours.

The other impression was you sure know a lot and a lot …about pinyin. And the site could expand in many directions as well; into at least 3 different web sites I reckon: Romanisation, Taiwan Travel? (this would be nice) and Chinese History/Culture.

It was my first time to learn that you should place tone marks on the a’s and the e’s for hanyu pinyin spelling.

Incidentally, talking about tone marks? how do you type out the tone marks from the keyboard and then put it on the web?
I have experimented once with Lucinda font and had to use the “Insert (Special) Symbol” function in MSWord before copying the whole thing to HTML. Apart from being highly tedious as you can imagine my other problem was I could not illustrate or type some Chinese characters on the same page. But I wonder if this latter problem has been resolved.

My purpose was I wanted to type out passages that I had read (in Chinese and Pinyin) and put it up on Web pages. I am trying to put up a learning website in my spare time. I told Christine once.

BTW do you know Mark Hammons?

Originally posted by David_K:

Thanks for the kind words about the site. I’ve been thinking about expanding it in the directions you mentioned.

Incidentally, talking about tone marks? how do you type out the tone marks from the keyboard and then put it on the web?

I began another thread for this question.

BTW do you know Mark Hammons?

Not that I recall. (But I have a terrible memory for names and faces.) Who’s he?

Well, I’ve been noticing a lot of positive “signs” lately , including MinQuan Road, YongJi Road, ZhuLun Street, ZhongXiao East Road, and ZhongShan Road. Looks like Ma Yingjiu is good for something after all. Wonder what the future holds for Hanyu Pinyin nationally, though, especially now that the DPP did so well in the latest elections, and the fact that everyone figures Ovid Tzeng is not going to be included in the next cabinet. Taipei may be on the right track, but the rest of the country seems to be eating up Ben Tu Hua and the Tongyong system.

quote:
Originally posted by Maoman: Well, I've been noticing a lot of positive "signs" lately [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] , including [i]MinQuan Road, YongJi Road, ZhuLun Street, ZhongXiao East Road,[/i] and [i]ZhongShan Road[/i]. Looks like Ma Yingjiu is good for something after all. Wonder what the future holds for Hanyu Pinyin nationally, though, especially now that the DPP did so well in the latest elections, and the fact that everyone figures Ovid Tzeng is not going to be included in the next cabinet. Taipei may be on the right track, but the rest of the country seems to be eating up [i]Ben Tu Hua[/i] and the Tongyong system.

But that’s still the local tongyong, the part of that is similar to pinyin, isn’t it? Most of the two systems are almost the same. Pinyin does not have caps for each character, only for the first in a compound, i.e. in pinyin it should be Zhongxiao, Minquan, Yongji, Zhulun, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by P: But that's still the local tongyong, the part of that is similar to pinyin, isn't it? Most of the two systems are almost the same. Pinyin does not have caps for each character, only for the first in a compound, i.e. in pinyin it should be Zhongxiao, Minquan, Yongji, Zhulun, etc.
Actually, Hanyu Pinyin (pinyin in and by itself does not refer to any one spelling system) doesn't use the caps, you're right. From a style point of view, I think the words look better without the caps in the middle of place names, but at least the spelling follows the standard version. I write the capital letter business as being a local quirk - one that is easily adjusted to and doesn't really affect how the language is interpreted.

However, you’re wrong about the spellings being identical. The only one that would be represented the same way in Tonyong Pinyin would be Yongji Road, and then only depending on which generation of Tongyong you were using. Tongyong does not use “X”, “Q”, or “Zh” in any of its spellings. Not this week, anyway.

I made this point earlier int he thread. Even if Tongyong is 90% similar to Pinyin, this 10% difference makes it useless when you’re not sure what systme is being used. Imagine if this country ahd two competing systems for writing phone numbers. In one system when you wrote ‘3’, you should actually dial ‘2’. You get a phone number but for most of them you don’t actually know how to dial it.

As for the capitalisation in the middle of PinYin. Words. I like it. I think it makes it a lot clearer.

Bri

Oh yeah, I forgot to add - I agree that one of the few things Ma Ying Jiu is doing right is pushing Hanyu Pinyin. I read an article a while ago in the TLI news that I was goingto copy here. I forgot to do that but the gist of it was that TLI (language school) was providing training to Taipei City Council officials in the use of pinyin. Looks like they’re really going ahaed of it while the cebtral government keeps arguing about it based on politics.

Bri

I’m using Hanyu Pinyin in all of my posts, and I encourage others to do the same - especially in the restaurants, bars and clubs forum - for a few reasons:

[*]Nobody I know advocates Wade-Giles romanization[*]The Wade-Giles previously used in Taipei was corrupt and inconsistent[*]The city gov't has declared Hanyu Pinyin to be the new standard[*]The city gov't has been very diligent in replacing old signs with Hanyu Pinyin signs[*]Somehow, a lot of FOB (fresh-off-the-boat) foreigners end up pronouncing "Hoping" as the gerund form of hope. Drives me crazy. [/list]Any one of these reasons alone maybe wouldn't be a linguistic hill to die on, but together they provide a compelling argument. If you still want to spell place names in an outdated, inconsistent, universally unappreciated, non-standard format, please feel free. Maybe you could post your reasons here... [img]images/smiles/icon_cool.gif[/img]
quote:
Originally posted by Quirky: MAOMAN:Thank you for using your editorial judgement to spell place names such that they will remain consistant.

Please keep doing so until the DPP deports you.

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan1: Like everybody I cream for hanyu pinyin. However, I break out into hives if I don't have final say over the print, broadcast, or webcast of what I write. If I wanna type a wadegiles - or whatever it really is - 'Fuhxing,' 'Hoping,' etc., I don't think it's cool for Oriented in general or Maoman in particular to wield an editorial pen, even to support the godlike hanyu pinyin. There must be better improvements that could be made to the site than this. That's my first reaction. Other thoughts?

Just a funny observation related to this issue.

Travelled with my Taiwanese company on an overseas trip. And when the tour guide handed out our tickets, half of the group did not recognize their own names written in their passports.

What system are they using when they translate the Chinese names in the passports?

Just my two NTs worth.

I believe it’s Wade-Giles, but without the apostrophes (which makes it not very useful).

For example, my name is pinyin would be chen(2) yuan(2) dao(4) but in my passport it is Chen Yuan-Tao. Actually in Wade-Giles this would be correct because the hard “T” sound would be signified with an apostrophe (e.g., Chen Yuan-T’ao). But since apostrophes aren’t used it gets confusing.

quote:
Originally posted by BAH: I believe it's Wade-Giles, but without the apostrophes (which makes it not very useful).

Hmm, I believe it is Wade/Giles, just without Wade/Giles. To find out which romanisation system was applied, try to find out the name of the person actually writing the data into the passport. If the name of that person was Huang Zuo Min, then your passport is using the “Huang Zuo Min Transcription System”. If the passport was issued by a Chen Yi Gen, then it should use the “Chen Yi Gen Romanisation” and so on…

If you get get your passport from the travel agents they ask you to write it down, and will help you if you want, which usually turns out to be something similar to Wade-Giles.

Bri

“Taiwan’s deadliest quake was near Hsinchu in 1935. The strongest was
in Keelung in 1867.”-- www.romanization.com

I don’t suppose any of you Oriented folks feel it is important to use
hanyu pinyin from now on in everything we emit, like me. No wonder
the DPP doesn’t feel fixing road signs is a priority.

By the way, it is now two months from the time education minister
Huang Rongcun said in two months he would have guokehui (national
science council) research the issue.

I personally use the Pingying system on my Chinese Windows system and it is very natural for me. However, learning it years ago was not simple for me and a lot of the symbols used are very counter-intuitive.

Even though I like the system, I do not see a compeling reason to use it just because China uses it. Taiwan uses a different set of characters than China, which I think would be much more confusing to the foreigner (and a person like me who can read traditional characters but not simplified very well). Since the characters are not the same, why does the romanization have to be the same.

I think the only people that will benefit from using the Pinying System in Taiwan are people who are fluent in both character sets and need the Romanization. This seems a little contradictory and I am not sure that there are that many of those around.

Dr Yeh

Do you see a compelling reason NOT to use Pinyin?

aside from the fact that mainland China uses it.