Romantic Weekend Spots in Taipei (Hot Springs?)

My girlfriend is coming up to Taipei for the weekend and I would like to take her to some nice spots here. I was thinking of going to hot springs in Beitou that aren’t too expensive. Does anyone have any advice on where to go for hot springs? Can you recommend your favorite romantic places? Thanks!

Take her for a hot spring and massage at Sweet Me.

She loves it. :wink:

All the hotsprings in Beitou are expensive. Are you planning to take her into a private room or use the outdoor public facilities? An overnight stay or an hour?

What’s your budget for romantic places? It’s not much good us suggesting places if you can’t afford them.

All the hotsprings in Beitou are expensive.[/quote]
Almost all. The co-ed public hot springs are NT$40 on the weekend and NT$20 during the week. Our guests a few weeks ago went there and said it’s beautiful. It’s not private, but it is a good place to soak.

Wulai is a great place to go to the hot springs. You can take a bus straight there. Spend the day walking in the mountains, eating local food and a bit of shopping. The hotels have nice spa in the rooms. And there’s a great outdoor spa there. Sorry I can’t remember the name but pm and I can describe where it is.

All the hotsprings in Beitou are expensive.[/quote]
Almost all. The co-ed public hot springs are NT$40 on the weekend and NT$20 during the week. Our guests a few weeks ago went there and said it’s beautiful. It’s not private, but it is a good place to soak.[/quote]

I thought of those but the OP wants a romantic place not a chance to mingle with ma and pa and baby Chen. :slight_smile:

“Co-ed”? I looked this up and got: “a female student at a coeducational college or university”…

Am I missing something?

“Co-ed”? I looked this up and got: “a female student at a coeducational college or university”…

Am I missing something?[/quote]

Yes, you are missing a big dic. :wink:

m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?b … ry&va=coed

tionary

pedant

Am I missing something?[/quote]
Yes - it also means “mixed gender”, i.e. men and women together.

Y-y-y-you mean n-nekkid? In public? In Taiwan?!?!? :astonished:

No, just mixed. Not mixed up.

BTW, I just finished my thread on the tea houses of Maokong. Lots of lovely choices for a romantic evening or afternoon.

Pics of the tea house’s name cards are on the thread.

[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 376#432376](The Marvelous Tea Houses of Maokong

Y-y-y-you mean n-nekkid? In public? In Taiwan?!?!? :astonished:[/quote]
No such luck. Swimsuits are required!

I would love detailed directions to these places (by MRT, bus or scooter) or to affordable hot springs on Yangmingshan. Or if anyone is interested in heading up there on a weekend and would like to form a group of two or three couples, that would be nice, too.

I would love detailed directions to these places (by MRT, bus or scooter) or to affordable hot springs on Yangmingshan. Or if anyone is interested in heading up there on a weekend and would like to form a group of two or three couples, that would be nice, too.[/quote]

Wulai. Take the MRT to Xindian station (end of the line) walk out and turn right. Walk 100 feet to 7-11. Wait for bus to Wulai. Takes 40 minutes and cost NT42 I think. Get off at the bus stop and walk through the village across the bridge. Walk down the road and cross the second bridge at the end of the tourist street. Turn right and walk upstream along the path to the free hot spring area. Or turn left and walk to the other free hot spring area.

Beitou. Take MRT to Xin Beitou station. Exit and veer right. I think you pass through the lights and then turn left. Anyway, you can’t miss the street. It has parkland running up the centre and stone sidewalks. Stay on the left and walk up 5 minutes to outdoor hot springs. Can’t miss them.

Yangmingshan also has cheap or free outdoor springs but I’ve never been. If you have a number of friends the International House Hotel has tatami rooms for 6 for 3600. Hot springs are pumped into the rooms.

Jinshan. The Youth Activity Centre has good facilites with a range of pools.

There are also natural outdoor springs in Jinshan. Haven’t been but they are supposed to be easy to get to. Crossing over to Jinshan on the #2 from Yangmingshan stop at the 5.5km mark. There is a trail to the left. Follow 10 minutes.

etaiwannews.com/Travel/2004/ … 071273.htm

Just want add that a romantic place for a stroll right in the city is the Fairy Footprint Mountain in Jingmei. This small hill is at he end of one of those longer wooded fingers that stretch into Taipei from Nangang. It’s not high, maybe 250 metres but the views are outstanding. You can see all across the city to Yangmingshan, or south to the mountains of Moakong and further toward Wulai. Taipei 101 is like a neighbor up here.

The trails are very pleasant, being either brick, concrete, or wood. The newer paths are all wood and feature several really lovely wood pavilions for watching the sun set.

I have been up there a few times recently and there are always dozens of dragonflies flitting about near the top. In addition, the low chirping of cicadas and birds almost completely drowns of the noise of the city.

The trails are kept very clean and everyone is quite friendly.

To get there, take the MRT to Jingmei station. Take exit 1. Turn left and walk to the end of the street. Then go right and a quick left into the market. Walk to the end of the market and turn left. Take the next right and then the next right again to put you on the road just at the base of the mountain. Walk a hundred feet or so until you see the stairs heading up. (It will have taken you about 5 minutes or so to get here from the MRT.) Follow the stairs up. Doesn’t matter which path you take though the first time stay left on the edge of the ridge until you reach a junction of paths. Double back on the wooden path to reach the Fairy Footprint rock and also a pavilion with an uninterupted view to the west for the sunset.

Most people will want to return the way they came but if you continue you will reach Muzha Road section 1 near Xinhai. From here you can follow Xinhai 1 km along the river to Muzha Road and then cross and walk along the dikes. If you wanted you could walk all the way to the zoo station (40 minutes). Me, I walk home. Takes me 1.5 hours from Jimgmei station. Other than the 1 km section of road on Xinhai, I am in forest, or by a river the whole time with no traffic to contend to.

The paths on the mountain have lights but I haven’t been there at night. I will try that tomorrow. Seems like it would be a very romantic spot to go to inthe evening if it is lit.

A belated thanks, Mucha Man, for that info! I’m gonna have to pick up a new copy of LP soon – I think mine is from 1994-ish…

Now, those were all inexpensive or free outdoor spots, and I hope to try some shortly. Chinese New Year’s means free time for such things.

Can anyone provide info on a reasonably priced hotel room with the hot spring tub in the room, or failing that, with hot spring baths adjacent. I imagine that these are pricey, and might already be fully booked for CNY, but am looking for suggestions anyway… anyone have recommendations of places to try (or avoid) ? I’m in Neihu, Taipei and only have a scooter and public transport, btw.

Thanks in advance!

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

Can anyone provide info on a reasonably priced hotel room with the hot spring tub in the room, or failing that, with hot spring baths adjacent. I imagine that these are pricey, and might already be fully booked for CNY, but am looking for suggestions anyway… anyone have recommendations of places to try (or avoid) ? I’m in Neihu, Taipei and only have a scooter and public transport, btw. [/quote]

I have (almost) exactly the same question. I don’t expect a place like this to be cheap, but I highly doubt that my bf’s roaming hands will be to the taste of public bath tenders. So I’m looking for something private, or if co-ed, between adults only, in beitou/yanmingshan.

I had a look at the sweetme hotsprings website (went there before, they have very nice facilities but they separate men and women) but wasn’t able to figure if their rooms have something other than a regular bathtub…

I also travel by bus, or possibly a rental scooter. Thanks for any recommendation! :bow: